OS X Mountain Lion overtakes Lion internet share for first time

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 62
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    The only reason anyone should still be on Lion is if their Mac wont allow them to upgrade to ML. Why people don't upgrade for $20 is beyond me.

    Also, for those still using SL- why? If you have some PPC program- [B]and[/B] can't find a better alternative, I understand. But how many people could that be- 20?
    If your Mac can't upgrade, I get that too, obviously. But Lion (particularly the newest version) is better than SL. And Mountain lion even Moreso. iCloud alone is insanely more helpful... Why you wouldn't want everything to sync up is beyond my grasp.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    chadbag wrote: »
    I realize you are just expressing your personal opinion, but no, Snow Leopard is not much better from a GUI POV and is not ahead in simple usability..

    And despite your 'factual' phrasing and tone, your comment is also nothing more than a personal opinion.

    A lot of folks did not like the changes. Many still don't and have tweaked, even hacked, the OS to be more like what it was before in terms of UI. They only stuck with the software at all because of things like iCloud. Fine and Dandy. Their computer, their usage. As long as they don't sneer at me for not tweaking the crap out of my computer because I'm fine with the changes, I won't sneer because they are not.

    I suspect this uptake is more to do with the increase in iOS devices which require at least OS 10.7 for iCloud and for many required a new computer cause they were still rocking what puny iBook g4 or such. Many folks put off upgrading to lion cause they didn't understand iCloud but now they might have some clue (and with iWork able to seamlessly sync files in ML) and they jumped in also.
  • Reply 23 of 62


    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

    Cool that you still have a bootable OS9. Do you have many images of the older OS's? And what about OSX - all 9 versions?


     


    I still have… a 7.5.1 disc, 9.1, 9.2 (which I need to install on my LC 575 someday), Jaguar retail, 10.4.7, and Snow/Leopard retail discs. That's off the top of my head. Never had Panther, Cheetah, or Puma, and I think I might have System 5 or 6 somewhere, even if it's just a "came with the machine" version.

  • Reply 24 of 62
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    andysol wrote: »
    The only reason anyone should still be on Lion is if their Mac wont allow them to upgrade to ML. Why people don't upgrade for $20 is beyond me.
    Also, for those still using SL- why? If you have some PPC program- and can't find a better alternative, I understand. But how many people could that be- 20?
    If your Mac can't upgrade, I get that too, obviously. But Lion (particularly the newest version) is better than SL. And Mountain lion even Moreso. iCloud alone is insanely more helpful... Why you wouldn't want everything to sync up is beyond my grasp.

    There are a number of reasons someone might be using Snow Leopard:

    - As you've pointed out, some apps require it.

    - A larger number of users (I suspect) just don't see any reason to upgrade. You see the same thing with Windows (XP is still the #2 OS). A large percentage of the computer using population really couldn't care less about having the latest and greatest thing. If they have something that works, why mess with it? And XP and Snow Leopard were both perfectly functional operating systems.

    The latter effect is compounded by the experience many people had in the 90s when upgrading an OS was an adventure - and prone to all sorts of problems. Someone who started using computers in the 90s and dealt with the Windows 3.1 to 95 transition or Mac OS 9 to 10 transition might be even more likely to say "why bother?"
  • Reply 25 of 62

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

    A lot of folks did not like the changes. Many still don't.


    Agreed. The AutoSave feature in ML is still clumsily implemented. Although we can now turn it off, as far as I can see it the OS still autosaves changes but then invites you to discard them if you don't want them. If you are working on a memory stick or other device with insufficient free memory, this procedure will lead to a hang and crash of the system. What should happen, of course, is as before - the OS only Saves when you command it to. This AutoSave "feature", which in practice is more AutoDestruct, remains the biggest flaw in ML, in my view. It scares me so much I still don't trust it.

  • Reply 26 of 62
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,006member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post





    And despite your 'factual' phrasing and tone, your comment is also nothing more than a personal opinion.

    A lot of folks did not like the changes. Many still don't and have tweaked, even hacked, the OS to be more like what it was before in terms of UI. They only stuck with the software at all because of things like iCloud. Fine and Dandy. Their computer, their usage. As long as they don't sneer at me for not tweaking the crap out of my computer because I'm fine with the changes, I won't sneer because they are not.

    I suspect this uptake is more to do with the increase in iOS devices which require at least OS 10.7 for iCloud and for many required a new computer cause they were still rocking what puny iBook g4 or such. Many folks put off upgrading to lion cause they didn't understand iCloud but now they might have some clue (and with iWork able to seamlessly sync files in ML) and they jumped in also.


    Agreed, opinion.


     


    People who don't like change and progress and are stuck in the dark ages ;-)


     


    I personally have 2 computers running 10.5.5/10.5.8 (the minor version are from memory and could be off), and until a week or two ago, had a machine at 10.6.8, 10.7.4, and 10.8.0.  I have since updated these latter three to 10.8.2.  10.8.2 is a much smoother experience than 10.6 of any sort and improves on 10.7.


     


    One of the two 10.5 machines won't update past SL I believe (2007 mini).  It currently is doing one  thing with its 1GB of RAM -- running a VMWare instance (old VMWare) of a linux and asterisk based phone system for my office.  When I put it in in 2008, it was the quickest way to what I needed done for my home office phone system.  The other is a 2007 Macbook Pro, which should actually still run 10.8 but has been used to run credit cards and to ship products (from some home grown software and through a browser) and do accounting.  And one of the accounting programs is a PPC app I don't want to pay to upgrade since the side businesses I run with it don't generate enough money to make me want to pay a big fee for the software.  My main business is on different software that is intel native.  (And I don't want the hassle of converting the side businesses to the new software I already own -- huge job).  I bought 4GB of RAM for the mini (and a hand me down SSD from another machine that got upgraded) and will update it to 10.6.8.   I will move all the accounting/shipping/credit card stuff off the Macbook Pro (2007) to the mini (2007) and run both the phone and the business stuff off of it and 10.6.8.  I will then update the Macbook Pro to 10.8 and use it as a general purpose computer.  That is the goal when I have a spare moment or two.


     


    I have bought new SSD and new RAM for some of my machines, and older SSD are trickling down.


     


    Apple has done a pretty good job of supporting reasonably old hardware with Mountain Lion.  Of the machines I have, a Mac Pro (early 2008) upgraded with a Radeon 5770 due to failure of the nVidia Quadro that was in it, a Macbook unibody (late 2008), a mini (late 2007), a mini (early 2009), and a Macbook Pro (2007), I believe that only the Mac mini (2007) won't upgrade to ML.  The first 3 are already there and the Macbook Pro 2007 is in the good list with its nVidia 8600M.  The "newst" of these machines is about (almost) 4 years old, the mini (2009) and it runs great with 8GB RAM and an SSD replacing its original HD as does the Macbook 2008 with the same 8GB and SSD.  The Mac Pro got 2 SSDs to augment its 1GB WD black drives (2010 models) with the boot and my user account on the SSDs, and large media files on the hard disks.  It also runs really nicely and fast despite being almost 5 years old (base machine).  (In fact, the Mac Pro also has a low end SATA card installed with an older SSD with Win 7 installed on it in bootcamp type scenario and runs Win 7 really well as well -- many games allow me high settings and run smoothly)


     


    So, with a few strategic upgrades, relatively older machines run ML quite well.  (I realize some older machines with low end integrated graphics won't run it even when newer than my stuff).

  • Reply 27 of 62
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    andysol wrote: »
    The only reason anyone should still be on Lion is if their Mac wont allow them to upgrade to ML. Why people don't upgrade for $20 is beyond me.
    Also, for those still using SL- why? If you have some PPC program- and can't find a better alternative, I understand. But how many people could that be- 20?
    If your Mac can't upgrade, I get that too, obviously. But Lion (particularly the newest version) is better than SL. And Mountain lion even Moreso. iCloud alone is insanely more helpful... Why you wouldn't want everything to sync up is beyond my grasp.

    Just because they can upgrade doesn't mean it is worth it. I have two Macs on SL, it is not worth the performance degrade to update them to Lion, let alone any higher

    Also, two of my Macs also have that wonderful feature you get after having them serviced, you can't join iCloud on them, so it is a worthless feature to some people
  • Reply 28 of 62
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Duplicate
  • Reply 29 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jfanning wrote: »
    Duplicate

    Once was one time too many to claim that SL was the last good OS from Apple. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 30 of 62
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member


    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

    Just because they can upgrade doesn't mean it is worth it. I have two Macs on SL, it is not worth the performance degrade to update them to Lion, let alone any higher


     


    What performance downgrade? If you have the RAM, you can handle the OS.






    Also, two of my Macs also have that wonderful feature you get after having them serviced, you can't join iCloud on them, so it is a worthless feature to some people



     


    How does that make any sense? Log in. 

  • Reply 31 of 62
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    What performance downgrade? If you have the RAM, you can handle the OS.

    My iMac can take 3GB of RAM (which it has), one of the MacBooks can take 4GB (which it has), both slow to near on being unusable, that is the performance downgrade.
    How does that make any sense? Log in. 

    How does that make sense? Maybe you should look at the Apple Support Boards and see the tonnes of people in the same situation, when Apple replaces the main board and forgets to write the serial number back to the new board you can't join iCloud. So how do I do this "log in" thing you talk about?
  • Reply 32 of 62


    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

    My iMac can take 3GB of RAM (which it has), one of the MacBooks can take 4GB (which it has), both slow to near on being unusable, that is the performance downgrade.


     


    Our iMac with 3GB and Lion runs fine. My MacBook Pro (only one step newer) with 4GB and Mountain Lion runs even faster.


     



    How does that make sense? Maybe you should look at the Apple Support Boards and see the tonnes of people in the same situation, when Apple replaces the main board and forgets to write the serial number back to the new board you can't join iCloud. So how do I do this "log in" thing you talk about?


     


    By logging in. Are you suggesting that iCloud is tied to hardware and that it cannot ever be connected to on new hardware at any time for any reason? So if I were to try to input my iCloud information onto a computer that isn't one of the computers I have right now, you're saying I couldn't do it, is that right?

  • Reply 33 of 62
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Our iMac with 3GB and Lion runs fine. My MacBook Pro (only one step newer) with 4GB and Mountain Lion runs even faster.

    Good for you, mine doesn't.
    By logging in. Are you suggesting that iCloud is tied to hardware and that it cannot ever be connected to on new hardware at any time for any reason? So if I were to try to input my iCloud information onto a computer that isn't one of the computers I have right now, you're saying I couldn't do it, is that right?

    ok, I'll go to the System Preferences, click on iCloud, log in…

    I get a dialog box with the following in it

    Account Limit Reached
    Account Limit Reached

    So now what do I do? If you pull your finger out and listen to others for once, maybe you will realise you are not always right. My Mac doesn't have a Serial Number on it (I get the "Serial Number System Serial#" in about this Mac), from what I have read on the Apple Support Boards, Apple uses the Serial number of the Mac when joining iCloud. So no, I am not saying what you claim I am saying, I am saying what is happening.
  • Reply 34 of 62


    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

    Good for you, mine doesn't.


     


    What family of machines are they?





    My Mac doesn't have a Serial Number on it (I get the "Serial Number System Serial#" in about this Mac)


     


    OH! I see what you're saying; apologies. Okay, that's a free fix from Apple. It isn't a permanent problem, like you're pretending. iCloud is also in no way a "worthless feature" when it isn't responsible for the problem that prevents its use. It's Apple's fault for not fixing your machine right, and they'll fix it properly if you take it back. 

  • Reply 35 of 62
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    What family of machines are they?

    2006 24" iMac, and a 2007 MacBook

    OH! I see what you're saying; apologies. Okay, that's a free fix from Apple. It isn't a permanent problem, like you're pretending. iCloud is also in no way a "worthless feature" when it isn't responsible for the problem that prevents its use. It's Apple's fault for not fixing your machine right, and they'll fix it properly if you take it back. 

    Nope, not free, both are outside of warranty period (a different MacBook than above), and one was purchased overseas, so Apple will wipe their hands of them I am afraid. I was not aware of the issues that the two different support agencies not doing their jobs correctly at the time, otherwise I would have got them to fix it.

    And actually iCloud is stopping me from using it, Apple has implemented iCloud to require the serial number to log on, it is iClouds issue
  • Reply 36 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jfanning wrote: »
    Good for you, mine doesn't.
    ok, I'll go to the System Preferences, click on iCloud, log in…
    I get a dialog box with the following in it
    Account Limit Reached
    Account Limit Reached
    So now what do I do? If you pull your finger out and listen to others for once, maybe you will realise you are not always right. My Mac doesn't have a Serial Number on it (I get the "Serial Number System Serial#" in about this Mac), from what I have read on the Apple Support Boards, Apple uses the Serial number of the Mac when joining iCloud. So no, I am not saying what you claim I am saying, I am saying what is happening.

    Sounds like someone has done a bunch of stuff beyond their ken to make their Macs not function properly and then they're turning around and blaming Apple for it. There is no way a modern with ML and 4GB RAM is "slow to near on being unusable" without the user not comprehending something important. Even people building Hackintoshes know to generate a serial for iCloud.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ascii wrote: »
    It's a lot of fun trying to get OS 9 to run on OS X, the programs to use are Mini vmac or Sheepshaver if you're interested.

    SheepShaver! That was it; thanks for the reminder!
    But it would be nice if Jony Ive would bring the fun factor back to OS X (he is the new iOS/OS X gui designer) but I fear he will be stark and minimalistic.
    He is minimalistic, isn't he?

    1000

    philboogie wrote: »
    Cool that you still have a bootable OS9. Do you have many images of the older OS's? And what about OSX - all 9 versions?

    I still have… a 7.5.1 disc, 9.1, 9.2 (which I need to install on my LC 575 someday), Jaguar retail, 10.4.7, and Snow/Leopard retail discs. That's off the top of my head. Never had Panther, Cheetah, or Puma, and I think I might have System 5 or 6 somewhere, even if it's just a "came with the machine" version.

    These are the discs you mean, no? I thought you might have a whole bunch of working versions (virtualized or not) running at the flip of a switch. I don't, but do have all the older discs. Floppies and all, OS, Rhapsody, Kodiak, OSX...



    ======
    At the risk of getting into a long discussion I'm not going to reply but merely post a link and pic to the (OT) at hand, which might be a fix:

    1000

    http://www.hackintosh-india.com/2009/05/icloud-and-facetime-fix-for-hackintosh.html
  • Reply 38 of 62


    my buddy's mother makes $88 every hour on the internet. She has been out of work for 8 months but last month her income was $20667 just working on the internet for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more www.Great70.c0m

  • Reply 39 of 62
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    andysol wrote: »
    The only reason anyone should still be on Lion is if their Mac wont allow them to upgrade to ML. Why people don't upgrade for $20 is beyond me.

    For various reasons I got rather mauled by Lion when I installed it - some self-inflicted, some not. I decided to wait and see this time, and also made the mistake of checking the Apple Discussion Forums. There seemed to be more Squawking and Clucking than usual over ML, so I deferred installing it for some of these reasons as well. The cost of the update was not the issue at all.

    As it turned out, the last update to Lion (10.7.5) seemed to fix a number of issues, as possibly did my decision to stop using Chrome. With everything working smoothly, I am chary of throwing another spanner in the works. I currently don't have a pressing need to update, either (e.g., software like Rhino not running, which was the main reason for me updating from SL to L).

    If someone can give me an unanswerable reason to update, I would consider it. But it would have to be good, and there's nothing in the list of features that I've seen so far to make me change my mind; my mid-2010 iMac is too old for snazzy things like AirPlay Mirroring. As for iCloud, my address book updates are fine across all three of my iDevices (iMac, iPhone and iPad), and I can currently do without access to open Safari tabs on the iMac (although it would be nice - but not nice enough to tempt me).
  • Reply 40 of 62
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,006member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post





    My iMac can take 3GB of RAM (which it has), one of the MacBooks can take 4GB (which it has), both slow to near on being unusable, that is the performance downgrade.

     


     


    My Macbook (late 2008) with 4GB ran ML just fine.  Before that it ran Lion just fine.  No slower than it ran SL.

Sign In or Register to comment.