Service for pirating iOS apps abruptly closes, cites 'stagnant' community

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    4phun4phun Posts: 51member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Yup, jailbreaking iOS as far as I know is not illegal. But jailbreaking iOS and rooting Android is ~illegal~ in the USA for tablets. That's my current understanding based on that Wikipedia link I provided.

That is a prime example of why you should be careful viewing Wikipedia, it is wrong.

No court is going allow you to plead that you saw it on Wikipedia and thought you were innocent.

Do an Internet search limiting yourself to the last month for more accurate info.

Also avoid android fanboy websites as they're filled with incorrect and wishful dreams on the legality of rooting and jailbreaking new phones and tablets, all now  violations of the digital CopyRight law after Jan 1, 2013

But who am I to be concerned with the current copyright law? Did you notice that a convicted 45 year old man who was involved in aiding and abetting copyright violations via the Internet and torrents got a sentence of five years in federal prison yesterday? 

I bet he never saw that one coming either.

Think of the world's governments as beasts with teeth. Stir them up by defying them and you have only yourself to blame if they suddenly turn on you and rip you up.

• Reply 82 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4phun View Post

That is a prime example of why you should be careful viewing Wikipedia, it is wrong.

No court is going allow you to plead that you saw it on Wikipedia and thought you were innocent.

Do an Internet search limiting yourself to the last month for more accurate info.

Also avoid android fanboy websites as they're filled with incorrect and wishful dreams on the legality of rooting and jailbreaking new phones and tablets, all now  violations of the digital CopyRight law after Jan 1, 2013

You're posting incorrect information 4phun. Phones have been exempted according to the Copyright Office.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/jailbreaking-now-legal-under-dmca-for-smartphones-but-not-tablets/

It will not be a violation to simply jailbreak or root your phone, but it's a no-go for tablets.

If you wish to verify that for yourself by digging into the legalese read the original source document from the US Copyright Office linked here, specifically beginning page 12.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2012-26308.pdf

EDIT: Of special note, if you feel the need to rip a DVD you already own to play on your iPod or iPad, that will be illegal now.  Thank goodness we have a Copyright Office to put a stop to the blatant theft perpetrated by untold numbers of iDevice owners.

/s

• Reply 83 of 89

AppCake is the best alternative in my opinion.

A helpful guide on how to install it:

http://www.thesmarthacks.com/2013/01/how-to-install-appcake-installous.html

• Reply 84 of 89
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    You're posting incorrect information 4phun. Phones have been exempted according to the Copyright Office.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/jailbreaking-now-legal-under-dmca-for-smartphones-but-not-tablets/

[SIZE=14px]It will not be a violation to simply jailbreak or root your phone, but it's a no-go for tablets.[/SIZE]

If you wish to verify that for yourself by digging into the legalese read the original source document from the US Copyright Office linked here, specifically beginning page 12.
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2012-26308.pdf

EDIT: Of special note, if you feel the need to rip a DVD you already own to play on your iPod or iPad, that will be illegal now.  Thank goodness we have a Copyright Office to put a stop to the blatant theft perpetrated by untold numbers of iDevice owners.

/s

Good job, thanks for the proper info.
    So just tablets… well, why did it matter on phones, and how do tablets differ? Operationally it's the same. The OS modification purpose hasn't changed. The only meaningfully illegalized thing is unlocking…

Indeed, since when does the government know ~anything~ about technology.
  • Reply 85 of 89
    Kind of interesting to see how the Copyright Office attempts to keep up with these technologies. How long before the distinction between "phone" and "tablet" is so blurred they need to make another ruling? How long before someone else produces hardware with no restrictions on which operating system and carrier you use that can actually compete with Apple (making this ruling irrelevant and obsolete)?
  • Reply 86 of 89

Originally Posted by Chrislove22 View Post

How long before someone else produces hardware with no restrictions on which operating system and carrier you use that can actually compete with Apple (making this ruling irrelevant and obsolete)?

Is that even possible? Android and WP8 require different buttons for use; could they even run on the same hardware?

• Reply 87 of 89
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Kind of interesting to see how the Copyright Office attempts to keep up with these technologies. How long before the distinction between "phone" and "tablet" is so blurred they need to make another ruling? How long before someone else produces hardware with no restrictions on which operating system and carrier you use that can actually compete with Apple (making this ruling irrelevant and obsolete)?

Is that even possible? Android and WP8 require different buttons for use; could they even run on the same hardware?

@Chrislove, that's actually a superb idea. Just standard hardware which you can pop in any SIM.

@Both for Android one would just use AOSP and some apps/mods to handle the hardware. For WP8, I don't know. But for Android, definitely. As long as AOSP (CM10 etc) runs decently on it, it will be sweet.

In the case of Android if the hardware is open ala Ouya, then yeah...

As for phone and tablet, it is pretty blurred.
  • Reply 88 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

As I understand it jailbreaking depends on exploiting flaws in iOS. Apple has been forced to work diligently to lock those back doors and for that I commend the jailbreaking community. The fact that some of the so-called best minds in the hacker world have come up empty on iOS 6 is really great news for iOS users in that iOS is now more bullet proof then ever.

iOS6 is jail-broken too.

"The jailbreak, called “evasi0n,” works on all versions of iOS from 6.0 and up, and it supports all current iOS 6.1 devices except the third generation Apple TV. According to the Evad3rs team, the following devices are supported on iOS versions 6.0 through 6.1:

• iPhone 5

• iPhone 4S

• iPhone 4

• iPhone 3GS

• iPad 4

• iPad 3

• iPad 2

• iPad mini

• iPod touch 5

• iPod touch 4

• Apple TV 2 (NOT third-gen)

The “untethered” status means you can safely reboot your device without having to worry about losing your jailbreak or any of the built-in features, as opposed to a “tethered” jailbreak that requires you to plug your device into a computer and re-run the jailbreaking app anytime you reboot it."

via 9to5

• Reply 89 of 89
    If all buttons are on it(some only work for 1).Hardware I don't know?