Microsoft could beat the iPad in one punch

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

It's very possible Microsoft has beaten Apple to the punch, and make the iPad look like a dinosaur. Don't believe me? Take a look at this.

Windows NT mobile apps can run on Window 8 desktop computers, which have 27" touch screens. Many Apps from the iPad are being ported to Windows NT, MorphWiz (a popular App for Musicians) is an App that's been ported and is spectacular on a 27" screen. On an iPad 4 you can play Solos on a small 10" screen, but with Windows 8 you can play Bass and Solo, plus chords!

Playing MorphWiz on an 10" iPad.

Here's the same App on a 27" Windows computer… Uh Oh!  For many musicians the improved screen real-estate is significant enough to boot the iPad off their purchasing list.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an Apple fanboy and Apple needs to step up fast and bring out a 27" iPad. I'm not saying they should make iOS Apps playable on OSX, but they need to come out with something bigger or they'll become irrelevant. Granted the PC has to be plugged in and the iPad has it's battery power, but imagine a 27 incher thats light, portable and a genuine iPad.

As a musician which would you choose?

A Painter? No doubt the 27"

A Publisher ? No contest.

Everyone knows Apple started the Tablet revolution that anyone can use, and we know they've been working on larger iPads, but the time has come to release them!

Now if only these could have multi-touch pressure sensitivity. Push harder on the screen to swell a trumpet chord or thicken brush strokes, but that's another story.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10

Not when everyone's touchscreens but Apple's suck, they won't. You ever used one of those Dells?

• Reply 2 of 10

Not when everyone's touchscreens but Apple's suck, they won't. Ever used one of those Dells?

I've been saying this for over five years: Apple will get rid of the mouse on the desktop. They'll stop selling laptops in favor of tablets.

I designed that GarageBand up there, one that looks just like GarageBand for iOS, before the iPad even existed. Had the fretboards for instruments and everything

• Reply 3 of 10

This is the kind of innovation Apple used to excel at and is now missing.

7" tablet?  Who cares.

27" tablet?  Love it!

Even bigger than 27" could be great.

Of course it would serve a different purpose than a 10" tablet, which is a portable device.

These larger devices, which should still be light and "portable" (i.e. easy to move around), would occupy a more permanent spot in the home or office, like on a desk or coffee table, etc., somewhere where it's easily accessible, but not usually moved.

I can imagine so many applications for this device.  The size itself would really differeniate it from the "personal"-sized tablets.

Can you imagine the party games you can have with a device like this?  Brilliant!

I think something like this would really bring the "table-top computer" that you see in the movies one step closer to reality.

• Reply 4 of 10

Here comes a 20" wave that could turn into a tidal wave for Apple.

• Reply 5 of 10

Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

Here comes a 20" wave that could turn into a tidal wave for Apple.

Ooh. Ooh. Kick it to 40" (and have an OS that is built specifically for it) and I'll buy it on day one.

• Reply 6 of 10

Is bigger better?

• Reply 7 of 10
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

No, bigger is not always better.  The ridiculous premise of the graphics above is that a desktop monitor can go mobile like an iPad can;  or that having an iPad precludes use of an appropriate desktop tool at a stationary machine location.  Neither makes sense.

Who has 5 years of successful multi touch experience?  Who has trackpads people actually like?  

Has anyone proposing the touchscreen desktops actually worked out the ergonomics?  A LOT of studies over the years have shown there are pervasive problems with arm fatigue and positioning of large touch screens.  Wishes won't suddenly make those real problems go away, problems that don't exist in the smaller 10" for factor due to economy of movement.

SO.  If you have solutions to the ergonomics and fatigue, everyone would love to hear about them and a product gan easily go forward. Please don't try to  say the problems don't exist and use stylus based solutions like the Cintiques as your example, they are not touch-screens and you can rest your hands on them for small, precision stylus positioning; hand resting == fatigue combatting.  

• Reply 8 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Has anyone proposing the touchscreen desktops actually worked out the ergonomics?

I've been working on one for a while. The biggest challenge is actually a stand that allows seamless motion from content creation to content consumption, but usability in both modes is already solved.

they are not touch-screens and you can rest your hands on them for small, precision stylus positioning…

Ah. Interestingly enough, I see Apple's touchscreen Mac (or Macintosh successor line, rather) allowing this. Allowing you to be able to rest your hands on it if you want. And you'll want, given the sizes it'll hit.

To me it doesn't seem to hard to do; it's just an extension of what they've already allowed on their touchscreens. Why is "touchscreens" still not in the OS X dictionary? image

• Reply 9 of 10
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

Is bigger better?

I don't know but I want one. My husband bought me a Asus Vivo 810c with the keyboard for Christmas and I have to say I'm really digging it, especially that 18 hour battery. I thought I would hate Windows 8 over OSX but turns out it's quite usable and a lot of fun. The apps are far and few between but what they do have are not bad, especially like Metro Travel. So I'm not going to bad mouth it anymore as I defiantly see the appeal, it won't replace my Air anytime soon but my iPad, if the apps increase with out a doubt. This is going to make some of you mad but I think It's a much better tablet OS then iOS or Android.

• Reply 10 of 10
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not when everyone's touchscreens but Apple's suck, they won't. Ever used one of those Dells?

I've been saying this for over five years: Apple will get rid of the mouse on the desktop. They'll stop selling laptops in favor of tablets.

I designed that GarageBand up there, one that looks just like GarageBand for iOS, before the iPad even existed. Had the fretboards for instruments and everything

Really, they all suck, I find the Touch and my new Asus Vivo to be very accurate and responsive.