Apple's App Store reaches 40B downloads, almost half occurred in 2012

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

The difference between Apple and Google with regards to personal information is Googles revenue is based on the information they collect and sell to third parties. Apple's revenue is from hardware and their personal data collection is more of an internal thing to help them improve their products.

No sir.

Both Apple and Google sell anonymous ad placements based on information they've gathered about us.

Neither Apple nor Google sell the information itself, nor would they ever want to.  It's the entire basis of their ad revenue and is guarded closely.

Dividing App revenue among total developers? This has already been hashed over and it's meaningless.

Oh, I agree totally.  That was my point :  that averages and numbers are meaningless unless you're one of the developers who got rich :)

Bottom line is iOS still has developers favoring it over Android by more than 2:1. So much for Eric Schmidt's prediction in Dec 2011 that this would flip and developers would favor Android since, you know, developers go where the market share is, not the money. /S

Edit:  that info was from one year ago.  I'm too busy to look up today's figures.  Perhaps someone else can.   Thanks!

Cheers!

• Reply 22 of 34
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

• $7 billion royalties across 200,000 iOS developers = average $35K per iOS developer.

• BREW Featurephone apps = $3 billion across 38,000 developers = average $78K per developer.

iOS. $ 7 billion over 4.5 years.

Brew $ 3 billion over ?? years.

• Reply 23 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by piot View Post

iOS. $ 7 billion over 4.5 years.

Brew $ 3 billion over ?? years.

Excellent.   Thank you.  People should think about every stat they see.

The BREW figure was a total from 2001 to 2010, although it didn't get really popular until about 2004.   Also, up until a few years ago, it was only really used on Verizon phones, which means the customer base was much, much smaller than the Apple App Store.   Now BREW is used for AT&T non-smartphones as well, but I don't know what the figure is up to these days.

People tend to forget that app stores existed right on their little flip phones for years.   Ringtones alone used to be a half billion dollar a year business for US carriers until about 2007.

Heck, when the free Verizon BREW version of the Shazaam music identifier app came out, it took less time for it to hit a million downloads than it did when it first became available on the iPhone.   It's amazing to me that so many non-smartphone users download(ed) apps..

How things have changed.  20 billion iOS app downloads a year.  Wow.   Not that it matters, but I wonder how many of those were duplicates for accounts.   I, for example, use about a half dozen iOS devices, most with the same apps downloaded to each one over the air. 

Regards.

• Reply 24 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Edit:  that info was from one year ago.  I'm too busy to look up today's figures.  Perhaps someone else can.   Thanks!

Cheers!

Over the Oct/11 to Oct/12 period Android app revenue as a percentage far outpaced the increase in iOS app revenue, 311% to 12.9%. That's according to AppAnnie

http://mashable.com/2012/11/29/android-beats-ios/

Of course there was a lot of room for revenue improvement flowing to Android app developers. Still it looks like GooglePlay downloads and thus developer revenue have picked up a lot of steam in the past 18 months.

• Reply 25 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Critical? Only because enterprise users are as dumb as a rock, together with MSoffice's software engineers.

Please, just because the IT world is too stupid to evolve, it doesn't mean Apple has to obey them (they never did). Not only that, MS will find a way to make Office as shittiest as possible, like they do on the desktop. Same arguments as flash lovers... "but but but you need flash for the interwebz.".

Create alternatives. If the IT world mattered (to Apple), Apple wouldn't be as great as they are now, people would still use IE, the mobile arena wouldn't exist.

MS Excel is critical in many companies. Apple's alternative spreadsheet software Numbers doesn't even come close to the power of Excel. Word, Outlook and Powerpoint all have viable replacements in the Apple ecosystem but there is nothing even close to Excel. If Apple did a major upgrade to Numbers, I would be on board but that doesn't seem to be happening.

• Reply 26 of 34

Quote:

The BREW figure was a total from 2001 to 2010, although it didn't get really popular until about 2004

Nine years?

Apple has paid out around $3 billion in one year, and yet you posit that it could be more profitable being a BREW dev, because they received a similar amount over a nine year period.

What's the BREW figure for 2012? What does the the future look like for BREW devs as their potential market shrinks? 

If you haven't got more convincing figures why are you even mentioning it in this thread?

Quote:

Excellent.   Thank you.  People should think about every stat they see.

Obviously.

• Reply 27 of 34
    filliefillie Posts: 25member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Over the Oct/11 to Oct/12 period Android app revenue as a percentage far outpaced the increase in iOS app revenue, 311% to 12.9%. That's according to AppAnnie

Of course there was a lot of room for revenue improvement flowing to Android app developers. Still it looks like GooglePlay downloads and thus developer revenue have picked up a lot of steam in the past 18 months.

That's a rather pointless single statistic to mention don't you think?

Android developers could be as little as $100 increased to $411. While iOS developers could be $1,000,000,000 to $1,129,000,000.

Growth is good news for android but that article is nothing but click bait.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound condescending to you, the article is one of the weaker links you usually contribute.
  • Reply 28 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You seem to have missed a bit from that link. Even after 311% Android app revenue growth, Apple is paying out four times as much cash per month.

Even so... it's good to see you and Darling teaming up. Keep up the good work.

• Reply 29 of 34
    Problem with the report is they go in detail on Apple iOS figures, but where are google android revenue figures over the same period?
  • Reply 30 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

For a paltry $15K AppAnnie will give you all the details. 

• Reply 31 of 34
    gatorguy wrote: »
    For a paltry $15K AppAnnie will give you all the details. 
    Paltry indeed :P
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Well nearly 20 billion downloads this year, over 40 in all of course doesn't this match the criteria for 100 downloads per device.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

Quote:

That's a lot of personal data being collected.   Credit, purchases, locations, media preferences.

With all that info and demographics available to sell targeted ad placements, it's a bit surprising that iAds isn't doing better.

--

Re: app store royalties, some interesting info:

Interestingly, a developer might make more money writing BREW apps for a flip phone, due to less competition:

• $7 billion royalties across 200,000 iOS developers = average $35K per iOS developer.

• BREW Featurephone apps = $3 billion across 38,000 developers = average $78K per developer.

You'd think so but back in the day when the Mac was a minority platform and there weren't many Mac apps (they had more syllables though), most developers still chose to go for the saturated Windows world. The allure of the biggest platform is the riches that ensue if you break out of the pack.

It's also interesting how once a platform is seen as mainstream, making big money out of games is OK. The early Mac was specifically not targeted at games developers to avoid the perception that it was a toy.

• Reply 34 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by piot View Post

Nine years?

I had hoped you'd read it closer.  That's going back when it first got started, not when it got popular on more than one carrier.    

Quote:

Apple has paid out around $3 billion in one year, and yet you posit that it could be more profitable being a BREW dev, because they received a similar amount over a nine year period.

I found more closely time related figures:

• iOS app revenue 2007 to 2010:  $2.7 billion

• BREW app revenue 2007 to 2010:  $2 billion

Considering iOS had something like five times as many developers, we can see where the best average developer money was during that particular time period.

What we're missing is this:  how much revenue went to top developers on all systems.  

For example, when we say Apple paid out $7 billion, but $3.5 billion of that went to just 25 developers... well, then suddenly the per-developer average for all the rest of the store is cut in half.

Quote:

What's the BREW figure for 2012? What does the the future look like for BREW devs as their potential market shrinks? 

Good point.  Depending on smartphone adoption rates, I agree that it's not necessarily a good longterm choice :)

Or maybe it is.  Certainly the competition is far smaller.  That might appeal to some.  I think that feature phones will still be around for a long while, due to not having to pay a data plan.

Quote:

If you haven't got more convincing figures why are you even mentioning it in this thread?

lol.   I'm not trying convince anyone to change jobs.  I just find it interesting that there have been other app ecosystems that did quite well.  Usually others find it interesting as well.  So  I presented the figures more for fun than anything else.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Cheers!