CES 2013 expected to showcase 'embarrassingly large' smartphones

Comments

• Reply 181 of 213

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You were wrong…

Because I'm not? Pretty simple. Verizon ad on TV. Again, I'll take a frigging picture of it next time I hear it on.

• Reply 182 of 213
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because I'm not? Pretty simple. Verizon ad on TV. Again, I'll take a frigging picture of it next time I hear it on.

I have to agree with gwmac.  So far,I've only seen an offer for BOGO on the flip case that goes with the Note 2 from Verizon.  If I recall right, it was a quick blurb after that Lebron James commercial.

Are you sure you didn't mishear?  If there really was a BOGO on the Note 2 itself, I would think it would be plastered all over Verizon's website.  They did it for the last few "big name" phones...

Not to mention that not a single one of the Android tech blogs have posted anything about BOGO for the Note 2.  And you know that they would jump all over that.

• Reply 183 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I have to agree with gwmac.  So far,I've only seen an offer for BOGO on the flip case that goes with the Note 2 from Verizon.  Are you sure you didn't mishear?  If there really was a BOGO on the Note 2 itself, I would think it would be plastered all over Verizon's website.  They did it for the last few "big name" phones...

It might just be a local promotion, too, but that's what it was.

• Reply 184 of 213

Quote:

I'll willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but a Note 2 is too big of a big ticket item to have just a local promotion, in my opinion.  But Verizon has done weirder things...

Again, even if it were just local, I'd have expected the Android blogs to pick up on it.  When the Galaxy Nexus was about to release on Verizon, they picked up on select customers getting local-only flyers in the mail for immediate discounts and even moving upgrade dates up and were sharing the offer codes to see if they would work elsewhere.

• Reply 185 of 213
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

With due respect, no insult intended, I honestly think you may be the only person in the world who doesn't.

We get bigger TVs so we can sit farther away because TV size is a lower priority than room layout.

I don't even watch TV apart from Top Gear (UK) when it's on. Only use my TV for a bit of gaming and the controllers don't have very long leads so I don't need a big TV.

Well, in 4 or 5 years people will be lucky enough to be able to buy a 200" TV that can be put down the end of the garden to really free the room up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Bottom line: If Apple offered a larger screened phone... I would buy it instead of the smaller one.

May Apple release the 10" iPhone of your dreams and I hope your MC Hammer trousers come back into fashion.

• Reply 186 of 213
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I don't even watch TV apart from Top Gear (UK) when it's on. Only use my TV for a bit of gaming and the controllers don't have very long leads so I don't need a big TV.

So then why the hell are you stating opinions about what's appropriate for others? That's like someone who doesn't cook poo-pooing a larger oven!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

May Apple release the 10" iPhone of your dreams and I hope your MC Hammer trousers come back into fashion.

The world is not a place of black/white absolutes. There is an infinite spectrum of compromises, one of which will be the absolute sweet spot, and all around it will exist a range called "close enough." There's a lot of room between a 4" 16:9 and your reductio ad absurdum case.

• Reply 187 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

What's with these pants comments?  I took a demo model of the Note 2 and put it in my pocket to see once and for all whether these "bigger pants" jokes held any water.  Sure it was slightly more visible than the iPhone 5, but it hardly required bigger pockets than what's standard for pants.  I didn't feel the Note 2 added any movement or sitting inconvenience.

• Reply 188 of 213
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

What's with these pants comments?  I took a demo model of the Note 2 and put it in my pocket to see once and for all whether these "bigger pants" jokes held any water.  Sure it was slightly more visible than the iPhone 5, but it hardly required bigger pockets than what's standard for pants.  I didn't feel the Note 2 added any movement or sitting inconvenience.

It doesn't and at 5.5" the Note 2 is an extreme example. No one expects or even hopes for Apple to make a 5.5" iPhone and most of use would be satisfied with one in the range of 4.5" to possibly a max of 5" which is smaller than the Note II. They just can't stand the fact that some iPhone users have the audacity to challenge Apple's wisdom and suggest that a larger iPhone might actually be quite popular or that anyone would dare choose to pay $299 for an Android phone. 

• Reply 189 of 213
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

It's okay even if not.  Sooner or later, all phones go on sale.

However, a BOGO deal is not used to get rid of excess phone stock.... that's what lower prices without restrictions are for... because it's not attractive to enough people.

BOGO's purpose is to get customers to extend or start TWO contracts at the same time, by offering something that seems too good to pass up.

This is very similar to the way BOGO is used in other retailing.  The idea is to get people in the door, so they buy other things.   It's not about making money on the BOGO items, or trying to get rid of undesired items.     To work, a BOGO deal has to be for an item that can still attract buyers.

• Reply 190 of 213
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

It doesn't and at 5.5" the Note 2 is an extreme example. No one expects or even hopes for Apple to make a 5.5" iPhone and most of use would be satisfied with one in the range of 4.5" to possibly a max of 5" which is smaller than the Note II. They just can't stand the fact that some iPhone users have the audacity to challenge Apple's wisdom and suggest that a larger iPhone might actually be quite popular or that anyone would dare choose to pay $299 for an Android phone. 

Isn't the Note 2 doing better in overseas market where it's actually cheaper than the iPhone?

Aside from that I think the iPhone's screen size will gradually grow over time, but not until necessary technology catches up. One day I believe the entire front face of the phone will be screen and there will be no buttons or any other distractions whatsoever. We already see signs Apple is going in this direction with such patents as the "behind the screen" camera and earpiece.

Apple is going to wait till they can do a 5 inch screen iPhone right, and not come out with some bloated oversized phone in the mean time like everyone else is doing.

For now 4 inches is fine and they can squeeze a few more MM of screen space on the current body if they wanted too.

I personally feel we may see an iPhone Mini before we see a 4.5+ inch iPhone...

• Reply 191 of 213
    jeffdm wrote: »
    A hot pen tip? Either you're not referring to something that is readily available, or capacitive touch screens don't work the way you think it works. The only reason the current system seems pixel-accurate is the loupe, which isn't that efficient.
    Apple files a LOT of patents, most of them don't become part of an Apple product.
    I am saying what is availible, if you want a stylus then they sell them working with a iPad, the problem is it is usually expensive. When it fakes your finger by a hot pen tip or other technology.
  • Reply 192 of 213
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I am saying what is availible, if you want a stylus then they sell them working with a iPad, the problem is it is usually expensive. When it fakes your finger by a hot pen tip or other technology.

1) They are not expensive.

2) They aren't hot. It doesn't register body heat. It's capacitance that is measured.
  • Reply 193 of 213

Quote:

Where is that screen shot? If it was just a local promotion, go to the Verizon website and enter your zipcode and take a screen shot.

I have seen that commercial several times. It has the girl that plays in the show Workaholics. The two guys go out to lunch after she tries to steal credit for a project. 

Admit it, it was a free flip cover. You were wrong!

• Reply 194 of 213
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Not sure what everyone sees in these phablets. Personally, I would prefer a phone the size of a nano that can be remoted into by an iPad Mini, using bluetooth for the voice portion. With Siri being able to handle address book and dialing, it gives me maximum flexibility (carry just a bitty phone when only expecting calls, tying into a bigger more usable tablet when i am more stationary.)
  • Reply 195 of 213
    evilution wrote: »

Is that an iPad in your pocket or are you happy to see me?

But seriously... bigger phones are everywhere. We laughed at Zoolander with his tiny phone... but all it needed to do was make phone calls.

Nowadays... smartphones are freakin' computers. And a larger screen is welcomed.
  • Reply 196 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

Not sure what everyone sees in these phablets. Personally, I would prefer a phone the size of a nano that can be remoted into by an iPad Mini, using bluetooth for the voice portion. With Siri being able to handle address book and dialing, it gives me maximum flexibility (carry just a bitty phone when only expecting calls, tying into a bigger more usable tablet when i am more stationary.)

Forget for a moment that any Android phones exist. For the way I use my iPhone at least, I would enjoy a larger display. When I am at home I have my Mac Pro and also an iPad to use, so my iPhone is really only used for voice and text messages at home to a large extent. But when not at home and I want to read or reply to my email, surf the web, and use apps a larger screen would help me immensely more as it is easier to view. I already hold and use my iPhone two handed so I don't buy into the need for one handed use. I already use bluetooth as well. An iPad Mini won't fit in my pocket, but a 4.8" iPhone would. 

• Reply 197 of 213
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    evilution wrote: »

Is that an iPad in your pocket or are you happy to see me?

Flat out happy!
  • Reply 198 of 213
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) They are not expensive.
    2) They aren't hot. It doesn't register body heat. It's capacitance that is measured.
    Ok obviously not all are expensive, as sais some are not, but a friend has had one for $70, which could be up to half the price of the device.I said other technology, the hot pen tip is something that could be a homemade idea, who cares it is a stylus.
  • Reply 199 of 213
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Ok obviously not all are expensive, as sais some are not, but a friend has had one for $70, which could be up to half the price of the device.I said other technology, the hot pen tip is something that could be a homemade idea, who cares it is a stylus.

1) At $70 this must have been a pretty impressive stylus. Surely you remember the make the model of such a pointlessly fancy object.

2) You really think this is expensive? http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/wireless/2407783011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_cps_1_3_last

3) WTF is with these "hot pen tip" comments. There is no heat. It's CAPACITANCE. Is this more of you not understanding the technologies involved and not wanting to take 2 minutes to read up on them before chiming in as to how Apple is doing it wrong?

4) Here is the most expensive I can find and it's only $50. Do you why it's so expensive? Because it also contains a pen and laser pointer in a very high quality design. This is not the norm. This is the exception. The high end of the basic capacitance stylus is around $15. http://blog.laptopmag.com/ipad-stylus-review-roundup-the-best-pen-for-your-tablet?slide=2
  • Reply 200 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

3) WTF is with these "hot pen tip" comments. There is no heat. It's CAPACITANCE. Is this more of you not understanding the technologies involved and not wanting to take 2 minutes to read up on them before chiming in as to how Apple is doing it wrong?

Maybe it's stolen.

*crickets*