Apple's super-slim iMacs remain in short supply months following their introduction

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sflocal wrote: »

Did you already order your 27"?  I know you were wanting to take the plunge and get a desktop rig.  If not, what are you waiting for?

Not yet. I haven't bought because I didn't want to buy it and then wait a month for it. The only thing I really care about is it being 27" and having a 3TB Fusion Drive. The GPU, CPU, and RAM I don't care so much about, although I would prefer to have the best CPU and GPU and lowest amount of RAM.

in December is simply said it ships in January. Now it says 3-4 weeks. I'll check my local Apple Store this week to see if they have the 3TB Fusion Drive option (last time they only had the 1TB FD option). If not, I'll probably put in my order before the week's out.

I bought a desk and desk chair in anticipation of the new iMac back in October or November, before they were even announced.

v5v wrote: »
    So is this a recognized "issue" that Apple is working to correct or that's just the way it is, either live with it or don't buy it?

WTF? Why would you even suggest your only two options are to live it with or to have not bought it all? This CE we're talking about. There is a chance that anything you buy will have some fault with it at some point, sometimes right from the factory. There doesn't have to be some recognized issue or class action lawsuit or whatever -gate one wants to scream about to get a product fixed or replaced.
  • Reply 82 of 104
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah...  It appears that the physical objects have an unique fingerprint that is recognizable by the software.... I could see that being a puck on a CAD or drafting system.

I would buy that instantly if you could run Final Cut Pro X on it -- there are some things you can do better by getting your "hands dirty" -- rather than through the indirection of a mouse and keyboard.  I also like the ability to work standing or sitting as your mood/need arises.

I used to work with a sound engineer in post who had a touch controller. That was at least 15 years ago! I think touch is much more intuitive than a mouse or a track pad. As you know from editing, before computers there was video and before that it was very physical - the original 'touch'. The problem with touch and the the 'tired arm' syndrome has perhaps more to do with repetitive strain than 'tired arm'. Some people use Steinbeck style controllers... ;)

• Reply 83 of 104
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

WTF? Why would you even suggest your only two options are to live it with or to have not bought it all?

Well, you know him, living in a world of absolutes: 

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

The world is not a place of black/white absolutes. There is an infinite spectrum of compromises…

Oh. Wait.

• Reply 84 of 104
    The new iMac is a powerful beautiful beast. When I ordered mine it said to expect delivery December31 to January 9. It arrived over a week before Christmas much to my delight. This is the 27" model.

You're not loosing anything with no optical drive in the iMac. The super drive is only $79 and can be used with all of your Macs. I have an older PC that came with a portable CD/DVD drive which is huge and unwieldy. It also does not work well, it sticks and lags. The Super Drive does not. People survived the floppy drive being removed, they'll survive and probably like this as well. I do

This machine is amazingly fast and beautiful. I've had very expensive, top of the line PC's, built my own, other Macs, nothing comes close to this, it's sublime. I can only suggest trying one and returning it if you do not like it. They have a no hassle return policy.

The person said that this is a whole new league of Mac is accurate. The new low glare, with the images appearing to be on top of the screen description are true too. It's beautiful. I don't need a retina display with this. I'm more than happy.
  • Reply 85 of 104
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, you know him, living in a world of absolutes: 

Oh. Wait.

Since I don't seem able to block you the way I have Soli, may I humbly request that you block me from your feed please? I think it'll be better for everyone if we just don't cross paths at all.

• Reply 86 of 104

Quote:

Standard cords that shipped with each item.

The keyboard and mouse, sure! Not the webcam, monitor, IR port, or speakers (though there's probably one of those stupid nub-dongles you plug into a USB port for those).

I wasn't trying to say that the Dell in any way could have less wires than the iMac. I don't see really anyone with a desktop using a webcam these days. Speakers and a monitor can be wireless except for the power cord. Dell XPS 2710 is a very nice AIO with a touch screen, only problem it runs Windows 8.

If I am in Best Buy or Costco when I walk by the desktop systems it just feels like I went back 200 years in time.

• Reply 87 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

So is this a recognized "issue" that Apple is working to correct or that's just the way it is, either live with it or don't buy it?

Actually it is and Apple is really good about working with customers if they have a panel that appears to be defective. My friend has a 15" rMBP and felt his screen had issues, not only did they replace the panel they replaced it twice until he was happy, no questions asked. Apple has the best customer service period, I would say the only one that comes close is Lenovo.

• Reply 88 of 104
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Since I don't seem able to block you the way I have Soli, may I humbly request that you block me from your feed please? I think it'll be better for everyone if we just don't cross paths at all.

Request denied. I don't block anyone. That's the digital equivalent of sticking my fingers in my ears and going LALALALALALALALA.

"Best if we don't cross paths". That's a good one! 

• Reply 89 of 104
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    That Lenovo video is insane. The music, the wiggy headwear on the kids, the careful double-kissing when the the guests come over, the wife schlepping the giant panel with no handle . . .

We are blessed that Apple has an ad agency with taste.
  • Reply 90 of 104
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Request denied. I don't block anyone. That's the digital equivalent of sticking my fingers in my ears and going LALALALALALALALA.

That's not the part that's bothering me. It's when you take your thumb out of your mouth and go BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH.

I understand that you don't like me and I'm okay with that. I just wish you didn't find it necessary to take shots at me every single time I post. If you don't want to engage in useful discussion, please, block me, ban me or just ignore me and shut the hell up.

• Reply 91 of 104
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    flaneur wrote: »
    That Lenovo video is insane. The music, the wiggy headwear on the kids, the careful double-kissing when the the guests come over, the wife schlepping the giant panel with no handle . . .
    We are blessed that Apple has an ad agency with taste.

Are you talking about the 27" tablet? How much power does that display need? What about the CPU? It has to be an Intel Core CPU. How heavy are we talking and how long will the battery last. I just don't get it.
  • Reply 92 of 104
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are you talking about the 27" tablet? How much power does that display need? What about the CPU? It has to be an Intel Core CPU. How heavy are we talking and how long will the battery last. I just don't get it.

1. 17 pounds.

2. Two hours on the battery.

3. Three days till "what else can we do with it?"

Cheers

• Reply 93 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

They are amazing machines.

Agreed! 

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

I won't be upgrading to the new iMac due to the lack of an optical drive.

Terrible reason not to upgrade to the new iMac. External optical drives are extremely affordable. Apple's Super Drive seems tailor made for the new iMac, if you want/need an optical drive. I bought one when I ordered my new iMac because I still buy music CDs occasionally and import them Apple Lossless. Even still, I have yet to use it because most of my new music I download from HDTracks.com.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Well, I've got my 2007 iMac next to my new 27'' new iMac. The difference is quite amazing. You simply cannot compare these 2 machines. It's another league...

I've got my 2006 iMac next to my 27" new iMac, and you're right. The difference is almost as great as the difference between WALL-E and EVE! Not one regret about upgrading. Not one!

• Reply 94 of 104

WOT:

Apple should buy Frito-Lay or vice versa!
  • Reply 95 of 104
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Yes, the 27" table-ette(TM). It may be a snappy new form factor for all I know, but the video that Dick linked to is just insanely annoying. Not Dick's fault, of course.

Imagine if Apple put out a promotional video thing like that. The stock would drop to $50. There would be a siege on Infinite Loop.
  • Reply 96 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You want to hang your iMac on the wall? Really? It's work of art for sure, but I can't really see a reason to hang it on the wall. It looks prettier standing on a desk or table. Even the old version - the ports were on the back, including the power chord. 

A desktop benefits from being thin because it makes it more beautiful and everything benefits from being more beautiful. I can't really see where they can go from here. (I am actually beginning to think we are moving towards an iMac that can be pivoted down to horizontal position with a touch screen. - Yes, TS, I'm beginning to lean your way - If that is where the iMac is going then thin is definitely better)

There is a small shopping center near where I live and they have iMacs on the wall next to every escalator.  

There are people who want to do this.  They have particular needs that don't match the desktop form factor.  How much Apple needs to tailor to these needs is another question.  Ditto for example the optical drive.  They obviously thought they could ditch it and get away with it.

For work, I still regularly get requests to burn stuff to CD, DVD.  I also have to make BluRays.  But I also see the future and know that these things are on a path to the end and am fine with the OD's absence.  Apple has to make decisions to jump at certain points.  That means they will irritate a certain percentage of customers. 

• Reply 97 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

For work, I still regularly get requests to burn stuff to CD, DVD.  I also have to make BluRays.  But I also see the future and know that these things are on a path to the end and am fine with the OD's absence.  Apple has to make decisions to jump at certain points.  That means they will irritate a certain percentage of customers. 

If you truly do video for a living and you say you are going to live without an optical drive for delivery... you don't do much video. I have no customers that have requested a wedding video at 6mbs verses the full 36mbs that bluray can deliver. The optical drive will evolve with video. It is the optimal platform for play anywhere. Bluray has already gone from 25 to 50 to 128 gig in disc capacity. 500 gig burners are in testing. As 4K video comes of age you will need he cheap optical platters to deliver on. A typical movie in 4K in H.264 will consume about 500 gig. Do you want to buy a new hard drive every time you buy a movie? How about waiting for that baby to download... And imagine trying to stream the thing. Optical is not going away. The only thing it may do is transform to holographic storage.

• Reply 98 of 104

One thing I enjoy about this thread is that either (a) engineer types are getting better are writing or (b) liberal arts types are getting better at understanding technology.  Either way you slice it, no one can deny that the insight of Steve Jobs of living at the intersection of technology and liberal arts is changing our world. 

• Reply 99 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by justamacguy View Post

If you truly do video for a living and you say you are going to live without an optical drive for delivery... you don't do much video. I have no customers that have requested a wedding video at 6mbs verses the full 36mbs that bluray can deliver. The optical drive will evolve with video. It is the optimal platform for play anywhere. Bluray has already gone from 25 to 50 to 128 gig in disc capacity. 500 gig burners are in testing. As 4K video comes of age you will need he cheap optical platters to deliver on. A typical movie in 4K in H.264 will consume about 500 gig. Do you want to buy a new hard drive every time you buy a movie? How about waiting for that baby to download... And imagine trying to stream the thing. Optical is not going away. The only thing it may do is transform to holographic storage.

I know my customer base.  You know yours. Apple surely knows theirs.  

• Reply 100 of 104
    I placed my order Dec 31st. My status has always said "shipping in January". Since it wasn't changed to 3-4 weeks, does that mean it will ship before 3 weeks? ha.. wild ride.