Hyundai announces support for Apple's Siri Eyes Free

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
At this week's Consumer Electronics Show, Hyundai announced a number of new vehicle technologies, including integration with Apple's Siri-powered "Eyes Free" mode.

Hyundai

New Hyundai vehicles will integrate their infotainment systems with Apple's voice-driven personal assistant software. The system requires a compatible iPhone, iPad or iPod touch running iOS 6.

The announcement makes Hyundai the tenth major auto maker to announce support for Siri Eyes Free control. The other partners are BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler, Honda, and GM, which announced support for its Chevy Spark and Sonic models in November.

Apple first announced Siri Eyes Free in June when the company took the wraps off the iOS 6 mobile operating system. With Hands Free, the iPhone screen stays off, so it will not distract the driver, and Siri talks back to a user out loud, allowing them to keep their eyes on the road.

Support for Apple's Siri Eyes Free is one of a number of technology-driven partnerships Hyundai announced at CES. Other additions include:
  • Dragon Drive: Developed by Nuance, this automotive-grade voice services platform enables drivers to speak naturally and conversationally with in-car systems for tasks such as dictating messages, searching for music, finding real-time weather and asking for directions.
  • Mobile High-Definition Link: Delivers 1080p60 uncompressed video with up to eight channels of digital audio from a mobile device to a dashboard display, all while charging the device.
  • Next-Generation Hardware: Hyundai's new vehicles will feature the latest hardware with high-resolution multi-touch displays, Bluetooth 3.0, and Wi-Fi/3G connectivity options.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

How nice.  A Korean Company actually working with apple instead of wanting to destroy Apple or at least its tablet and phone products.  On the other hand one will only get about 50k miles worth of use out of a Hyundai car.  Maybe they can SIRI to the dealership at that point for the best trade in.

• Reply 2 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Korean company using Apple technology? Why not use the Apple killing, totally dominant Samsung/Android platform. I mean really? ;)
  • Reply 3 of 25
    What--no Ferrari? And I thought Eddy Cue would make a difference!!!
  • Reply 4 of 25
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Hyundai had included an iPad manual in their 2011 Equus.

(They went back to paper for 2012.)

They said they did it for the publicity, and it worked.

Hyundai's come a long way.   When I was stationed in Korea in the 70s, they were only used for taxis and every single one was light blue... and held together with coat hangers and duct tape, I swear!

• Reply 5 of 25

While I don't have any real objection to this, Hyundai is such a 'cheap' brand I'm not really sure I'm happy to see this 'alliance'.

At least get me Lexus, if not something more premium.

• Reply 6 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

While I don't have any real objection to this, Hyundai is such a 'cheap' brand I'm not really sure I'm happy to see this 'alliance'.

Although the old Hyundai Pony makes me shiver thinking about it, Hyundai has come a loooooonnng way in the quality and reliability department.

• Reply 7 of 25
    tokoloshtokolosh Posts: 101member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Your perception does not match recent performance. Mercedes made an investment in Hyundai and with that came some significant engineering and manufacturing mind share for the Korean company. They've come a long way and put out a very competitive product. I don't drive one and I don't plan to but I recognize the good product they've been able to put out in more recent years.

• Reply 8 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Although the old Hyundai Pony makes me shiver thinking about it, Hyundai has come a loooooonnng way in the quality and reliability department.

This is true.  My classmate (I'm a graduate engineering student) is a quality/reliability engineer in the automotive industry and pointed out that Hyundai has not only stepped up their game, they are among the leaders.  Also, contrary to popular belief, German cars are not great in reliability/quality (German engineering does not equal quality engineering).

• Reply 9 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    chucotown wrote: »
    This is true.  My classmate (I'm a graduate engineering student) is a quality/reliability engineer in the automotive industry and pointed out that Hyundai has not only stepped up their game, they are among the leaders.  Also, contrary to popular belief, German cars are not great in reliability/quality (German engineering does not equal quality engineering).

That said, they do seem to copy the designs of other successful manufacturers rather than designing their own. I guess that's just part of the DNA being a Korean company.
  • Reply 10 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That said, they do seem to copy the designs of other successful manufacturers rather than designing their own. I guess that's just part of the DNA being a Korean company.

Probably right about that, but as a consumer I don't care about companies copying other companies.  In the end, I just care about the final product.  Along the same lines, every car manufacturer has copied all of their processes from Toyota.

• Reply 11 of 25
    Why do such cheap cars get all the best tech?
  • Reply 12 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Korean company using Apple technology? Why not use the Apple killing, totally dominant Samsung/Android platform. I mean really? image

They're doing that too in a way, also announcing Google Maps and search integration a few days earlier. Mercedes, Audi and Tesla also announced Google Maps will be making their way to their infotainment systems. Everyone is getting in on the fun with Apple, Google, Microsoft, and other big tech companies it seems. Sure took long  enough. The automotive world turns a lot slower I guess.

• Reply 13 of 25
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    The car makers will want to own their own platform without being tie down by Android or iOS. So they will use both or whatever make sense to the consumers. They are probably not interested in killing Apple, 'specially if working with Apple helps promote awareness and value added services in a secure way.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't think either Hyundai or Kia do, certainly any more than any other company. Both have improved their model range and quality over the last decade.

The situation is not really comparable with tablets/smartphones. With cars we are talking mature technology. Yes there are innovations about navigation, in car entertainment, new safety feature features.  But still, most cars are  basically the same old four wheels, internal combustion engine, springs & dampers, disk/drum brake, r&p steering etc - old technology that anyone is rightly free to use. I'm in Europe, where the car market has evolved into definite classes of car : it's depressing how similar so many of the cars in a the same class are.

Although Korean Samsung seems to be to attracting most ire in the Apple community atm, to my mind it's American Google who is the biggest copyist.

• Reply 15 of 25

As others have said, your perception is simply not the reality.

I used to consider Hyundai to be one of the crappiest brands on the road, that perception was turned on its ear several years ago when I started driving their recent model vehicles. I am extremely impressed with how far they have come - their vehicles look sleek and modern, are a pleasure to drive and have an impressive array of tech as standard.I have no hesitation in recommending them.

I remember many years ago when there was a stigma about Japanese cars, that negativity shifted to the Korean brands and now that they have followed the Japanese in lifting their game, the stigma is (rightfully) shifting to the junk coming out of China. I'd rather walk than risk traveling in a Chinese made vehicle.
  • Reply 16 of 25

I own -- and have owned -- several pretty decent cards, including Lexus (which are just highly over-rated boats, IMHO).

Bought a car for my daughter a couple of months ago, after she got her drivers license. After loads of research and test-driving, the choice came down to two: VW Golf or Hyundai Elantra GT. I surprised even myself with my clear final choice.

I suggest you do some actual research before mouthing off in a silly way.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    They're doing that too in a way, also announcing Google Maps and search integration a few days earlier. Mercedes, Audi and Tesla also announced Google Maps will be making their way to their infotainment systems. Everyone is getting in on the fun with Apple, Google, Microsoft, and other big tech companies it seems. Sure took long  enough. The automotive world turns a lot slower I guess.

Thank you for the knowledge. I just emailed AUDI to let they know that i prefer Google-free product and if I can't turn off Google Map and use SIRI on their vehicle then Audi is not my next purchased car.
  • Reply 18 of 25

They'll probably tell you sorry and to go but something else.

• Reply 19 of 25

What are the chances that manufacturers will offer an upgrade option for the current car models?  I have a 2012 Honda.

• Reply 20 of 25
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

while several auto makers have announced Eyes Free Siri support, i can't find any cars for sale with it. are there any yet - any brand/model?