Crayola, Griffin target child artists with Crayola Tools for Apple's iPad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Griffin Technology has partnered with Crayola to showcase three creative tools made for the iPad, each of which uses the tablet's unique features to offer an innovative digital canvas for aspiring young artists

Crayola Tools
Crayola Light Marker | Source: Griffin Technology

Leading off the product suite is the Crayola Light Marker, a marker-shaped pen that enables users to draw in the air in front of an iPad. The system uses Crayola's multi-activity Light Marker app to capture the pen's movement with the iPad's front-facing camera and display the strokes on screen.

Applications that support the Crayola Light Marker include Dot to Dot, Paint Splatter, Coloring Pages, Puzzles, Hide and Seek and Free Draw. The Crayola Light Marker will ship in Spring 2013 for $29.99 while compatible apps will free to download through the App Store.

Next up is is a combination lap desk and iPad cover called the Crayola Digital Activity Center. Built from a canvas material, the sleeve-like case sports a cushioned back that cradles the iPad and features an integrated screen protector. Access to the iPad's headphone jack, front facing camera and dock connector are unobstructed, allowing for easy access. Without the iPad, the activity center serves as what the company calls a functional lap desk and features a built-in handle, hard coloring surface and a dry erase board. Also built in is a storage pocket for Crayola crayons, markers, and input devices such as the Crayola Light Marker. The Crayola Digital Activity Center is available now for $39.99.

Crayola's Color & Play Workstation turns the iPad into an all-in-one iPad workstation designed for "tabletop creativity." Children just flip open the lid and snap an iPad in place to start creating digital masterpieces. Featuring a built-in carrying handle and three storage "cubbies" to stow crayons, markers and input devices such as the Crayola ColorStudio HD and DigiTools, the Color & Play is secured on all sides, giving unhindered access to the headphone jack and the home button. The product will be out in spring for $19.99.

Crayola Tools Set
Color and Play Workstation

Finally, Crayola is showcasing Crayola ColorStudio HD Barbie Edition and Hot Wheels Edition, apps that feature Barbie and her friends and Hot Wheels vehicles, respectively. Both include coloring e-books that feature digital Crayola crayons and markers, animations, sound and music. Both apps will be available in January on the App Store for $2.99 and are compatible with the ColorStudio HD iMarker stylus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Nice. I think it will be a good past time for children in a normal household.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    russellrussell Posts: 296member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Nice. I think it will be a good past time for children in a normal household.

Regular crayons weren't?

What will it be in an abnormal household?

• Reply 3 of 9
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Clever--but what kids would really love (if only it were possible) would be to a) get rid of the pen and paint with a finger, and b) paint directly ON the surface, not vaguely in the air near the surface. Someday...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Regular crayons weren't?

What will it be in an abnormal household?

How about the one I grew up in.  Beating, molestation, alcoholic father, no sleep, going to the hospital from mal-nurishment.  That kinda stuff.  That way a child won't be able to play with something like this as his parents would have spent all the money on alcohol.  Any way thats the honest truth.  I had to play with dirt.  But I think a normal household would be where the child feels safe and able to grow healthy mentally and physically.  Where the parents actually came home after work and interacted with their children.  I can go on but you don't really care now do you.

• Reply 5 of 9
    I guess the target audience don't have fingers.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    How about the one I grew up in.  Beating, molestation, alcoholic father, no sleep, going to the hospital from mal-nurishment.  That kinda stuff.  That way a child won't be able to play with something like this as his parents would have spent all the money on alcohol.  Any way thats the honest truth.  I had to play with dirt.  But I think a normal household would be where the child feels safe and able to grow healthy mentally and physically.  Where the parents actually came home after work and interacted with their children.  I can go on but you don't really care now do you.

Sorry to hear that. I hope all is well now.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    russellrussell Posts: 296member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I wouldn't want that happen to any child.

It's not often that someone actually meets a person that had a rough childhood. I may have met others, but you're the first to admit it.

It sounds like you understand what your childhood was like and are dealing with it in a mature way.

• Reply 8 of 9

I have a few kind words for Crayola. Education can be entertaining.

My daughter (now in college) learned the names of colors from a Crayola paint program.

When she chose a color, the program instantly pronounced it's name properly over the speaker. Perfect. I especially remember "magenta" since I use it in photography, but many people are unfamiliar with the term.

• Reply 9 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    greenwire wrote: »
    I have a few kind words for Crayola. Education can be entertaining.

My daughter (now in college) learned the names of colors from a Crayola paint program.
    When she chose a color, the program instantly pronounced it's name properly over the speaker. Perfect. I especially remember "magenta" since I use it in photography, but many people are unfamiliar with the term.

Just yanking your chain as I am sure you know this but Magenta is used in printing, CMY and K with UCR or GCR (see subtractive color theory), in photography (additive color theory) it's RGB. It's all that pesky physics.:D