Verizon's 'higher mix' of holiday iPhone activations likely topped 5.3M

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon announced on Wednesday that it activated 9.8 million smartphones in the 2012 holiday season, with a "higher mix of Apple smartphones," suggesting the carrier accounted for more than 5.3 million iPhone sales in the quarter.

The figures from Verizon were revealed in an 8-K filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Like rival AT&T, which reported sales of 10 million smartphones on Tuesday, Verizon declined to give specific figures for the iPhone.

In the fourth quarter of 2011, Verizon activated a total of 7.7 million smartphones, 4.2 million of which were iPhones, giving Apple a 54.5 percent share. If Apple were to have secured the same share of activations in 2012, it would mean 5.3 million iPhones were sold through Verizon.

It's unknown whether Verizon's comments about a "higher mix" of iPhones refer to year over year data, or whether the carrier is simply referring to sequential comparisons. In the previous September quarter, the iPhone accounted for a smaller 46 percent share of smartphone activations at Verizon.

iPhone 5

Analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray said on Tuesday that he believes AT&T sold at least 8 million iPhones in its record holiday quarter. While Verizon is the largest wireless carrier in the U.S., sales of the iPhone are typically greater at AT&T, because AT&T was Apple's exclusive carrier partner for years.

Apple's third carrier partner in the U.S, Sprint, has not yet signaled how many smartphones or iPhones it sold in the holiday quarter.

The fourth-largest carrier in the U.S., T-Mobile, will begin selling the iPhone this year. The company revealed to Reuters on Wednesday that the iPhone will become available in the next three to four months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

AI just HAS to ruin a decent article by mentioning Gene Munster.

• Reply 2 of 35
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Verizon announced on Wednesday that it activated 9.8 million smartphones in the 2012 holiday season, with a "higher mix of Apple smartphones," suggesting the carrier accounted for more than 5.3 million iPhone sales in the quarter.

So Apple's shares drop another half percent.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jragosta wrote: »
    So Apple's shares drop another half percent.
    And two analysts reiterated their buy rating on the stock. This morning on CNBC they were really ragging on Apple saying it was the most hated stock on the market and this rumored low cost iPhone is something they should have done a year ago. Of course go back to the middle of last year and Jim Cramer couldn't talk up the company enough. Now he hates it. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 4 of 35
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And two analysts reiterated their buy rating on the stock. This morning on CNBC they were really ragging on Apple saying it was the most hated stock on the market and this rumored low cost iPhone is something they should have done a year ago. Of course go back to the middle of last year and Jim Cramer couldn't talk up the company enough. Now he hates it. image

Jim Cramer...so difficult for me to take stock advice from a guy who uses fart noises while "educating." .

• Reply 5 of 35
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

So, the majority of smartphones sold by Verizon were iPhones? And yesterday, AT&T reported that the majority of smartphones sold through them were iPhones in their record breaking quarter?

That is extremely disappointing, since iPhones did not account for 100% of all phones sold. Anything less than 100% can be considered a failure for Apple, because that's what I have decided, and I am an analyst, and I know what I'm talking about.

I am going to have to cut my price target on AAPL down to $79.99, based on these frightening figures and most disturbing news.

Apple doesn't really innovate anymore, especially now that Steve's gone. At CES, other companies are releasing innovative and interesting products such as a 27" tablet that you can carry around with you! Why doesn't Apple have a 27" iPad? I always wanted a 27" iPad to use when I ride the subways in the morning. That 27" tablet is going to be such a hot seller! I can see people pimping off their sisters in order to get one.

And Apple recently announced that there are now over a half billion active iTunes accounts. That alone should be good for at least another 3.5% drop in AAPL.

And when that China Mobile deal happens, AAPL will be revisiting the 400's again. 

• Reply 6 of 35
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I can see people pimping off their sisters in order to get one.

Pimping off sisters? I wonder why people don't talk about pimping off brothers?

• Reply 7 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Pimping off sisters? I wonder why people don't talk about pimping off brothers?

Because there's usually very little money in male prostitution.

There was a girl and guy who auctioned off their virginity recently, which you might or might not have read about.

The girl got $780,000, the guy got $3,000.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/24/catarina-migliorini-sells-virginity-780k_n_2010260.html

The moral of the story is that girls are worth more than boys (when it comes to sex for money), and if you are going to pimp anybody out, it should be a female. Males are a waste of time and not very profitable. I know that if I were a pimp, I would have a whole harem of female whores. I couldn't be bothered with male whores. Males are the "Android Phones" of the prostitution world.

• Reply 8 of 35
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    More bad news for Apple. Can't wait for the record breaking holiday quarter "bad" news. Wall Street: another record breaking qtr for Apple but it still hasn't cured cancer. A reason to sell
  • Reply 9 of 35
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Imo apple lost around 5% market share based on the ceo comments. So we should have about 5 millions iphones in the quarter
  • Reply 10 of 35
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    jungmark wrote: »
    More bad news for Apple. Can't wait for the record breaking holiday quarter "bad" news. Wall Street: another record breaking qtr for Apple but it still hasn't cured cancer. A reason to sell

If you compare this q4 growth compare to q4 in 2011, apple is decelerating with both feets on the brakes.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

I recall reading lately that no one has jailbroken iOS 6. What impact will this have on Apple?

• Reply 12 of 35
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Verizon has the biggest LTE map by far. The iPhone 5 finally includes LTE. Enough said.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/155383/verizons-higher-mix-of-holiday-iphone-activations-likely-topped-5-3m#post_2256311"]
    Males are the "Android Phones" of the prostitution world.

Now that's funny.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Quote:

Males are the "Android Phones" of the prostitution world.

I don't even care that AAPL is down again on good news. This post most made my day.

• Reply 15 of 35
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I don't even care that AAPL is down again on good news. This post most made my day.

Now I need to buy a new Macbook Pro, since all the coffee ruined my screen.            Hilarious.

• Reply 16 of 35
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

The girl got $780,000, the guy got $3,000.

Yeah but the guy wasn't really hot at all and it was only open to female bidders. Pick a much hotter guy and open the bids to guys as well and you would see a lot higher bids than $3,000. Women value experience from men more than virginity so not really surprising it was a low bid. $3,000 for probably 30 seconds is quite expensive. Putting aside the fact that how in the hell can they tell he is a virgin or not other than taking his word for it, and if he is then why? Not surprised a Japanese guy bid $780,0000, for hundreds of years Japanese have been paying big bucks for virgins due to beliefs about prolonging their life. Reminds me of Tales from a geisha. 

• Reply 17 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If you compare this q4 growth compare to q4 in 2011, apple is decelerating with both feets on the brakes.

I'd be interested to see the market growth and compare. Quarter to quarter doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of the whole market. For instance, if apple grew 20% last years q4, and this year it was 15% but if overall market growth went from 30% to 5%.... I think that means a lot more with the overall picture.

• Reply 18 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    allenbf wrote: »
    Jim Cramer...so difficult for me to take stock advice from a guy who uses fart noises while "educating." .

Here is an example of Cramer's show for those that aren't familiar...

[VIDEO]
    video:

Here is a Jon Stewart giving it to Jim Cramer.

[VIDEO]
    video:

Here is the grueling video of Jim Cramer coming onto The Daily Show to explain himself.

1. http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-12-2009/jim-cramer-extended-interview-pt--1 (5m:47s)
    2. http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-12-2009/jim-cramer-extended-interview-pt--2 (8m:24s)
    3. http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-12-2009/jim-cramer-extended-interview-pt--3 (8m:31s)
  • Reply 19 of 35
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    You have a sister?
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/155383/verizons-higher-mix-of-holiday-iphone-activations-likely-topped-5-3m#post_2256308"]So, the majority of smartphones sold by Verizon were iPhones? And yesterday, AT&T reported that the majority of smartphones sold through them were iPhones in their record breaking quarter?

That is extremely disappointing, since iPhones did not account for 100% of all phones sold. Anything less than 100% can be considered a failure for Apple, because that's what I have decided, and I am an analyst, and I know what I'm talking about.

I am going to have to cut my price target on AAPL down to $79.99, based on these frightening figures and most disturbing news.

Apple doesn't really innovate anymore, especially now that Steve's gone. At CES, other companies are releasing innovative and interesting products such as a 27" tablet that you can carry around with you! Why doesn't Apple have a 27" iPad? I always wanted a 27" iPad to use when I ride the subways in the morning. That 27" tablet is going to be such a hot seller! I can see people pimping off their sisters in order to get one.

And Apple recently announced that there are now over a half billion active iTunes accounts. That alone should be good for at least another 3.5% drop in AAPL.

And when that China Mobile deal happens, AAPL will be revisiting the 400's again. 
  • Reply 20 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You have a sister?

Yeah, I have one sister and one brother, why do you ask?