2013 smart TVs dismissed as 'not that smart,' leaving opportunity for Apple

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Smart HDTVs being showcased at this year's CES aren't actually that smart, according to one analyst, who believes a lack of innovation in TVs has created a huge opportunity for Apple.

Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets is at CES in Las Vegas, Nev., this week, and he's been unimpressed by the HDTVs he's seen. So-called "smart TVs" on display "really aren't that smart," he said in a note to investors on Thursday.

Of note at this year's show is Samsung's Evolution Kit, a hardware upgrade that will boost functionality in last year's HDTV sets. The kit is expected to be available in the second quarter of this year, and Samsung has promised a three-year commitment to customers, so that a 2012 smart TV can use 2015 features.

Samsung
Left, Apple's Siri logo. Right, Samsung S-Recommendation (via Business Insider).

Samsung is also pushing its "S-Recommendation" voice control technology this year. White noted that Samsung's voice recognition feature has a logo "nearly identical to Apple's Siri."

"Needless to say, we were less than impressed with Samsung's smart TV user interface and capabilities at the show," he said.

With existing TV makers unable to wow in 2013, White believes it will take Apple to reinvent the TV experience. His checks within the industry suggest that Sharp will be providing display panels to Apple out of its Gen 10 plant in Japan.

Last month, Apple CEO Tim Cook fanned the flames on rumors that his company is working on a television set or a expanded set-top box functionality. In an interview with NBC's Rock Center, Cook said current televisions make him feel like he's "gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," and he admitted that the television market is an area of "intense interest" for Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Brian White's been pretty chatty the last few days. image

http://appleinsider.com/topics/Brian+White

• Reply 2 of 71
    So, let me guess, today Brian White is not a braindead analyst trying to tank APPL. He's nothing short of brilliant, the Prophet, etc?
  • Reply 3 of 71
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    on Sammy's logo. c'mon, that's the only microphone image ever created so of course it's gonna look familiar. /s

Again, I dont' see a actual tv set from Apple. I do see an Apple TV/Siri hybrid of some sort that can access the majority of live channels.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    Samsung doesn't know what features to add until Apple releases their smart TV. They aren't even capable of creating an original icon.
  • Reply 5 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

on Sammy's logo. c'mon, that's the only microphone image ever created so of course it's gonna look familiar. /s

Again, I dont' see a actual tv set from Apple. I do see an Apple TV/Siri hybrid of some sort that can access the majority of live channels.

Johnny would make a beautiful TV though

• Reply 6 of 71

Remember the pre-iPhone era? History is repeating itself.

Back then PCs were the central to how people use technology. So manufacturers tried to cram what worked on PCs into smart phones, while others tried to cram PCs into tablets, and both results were terrible.

Now that smart phones are the hottest thing, people start to cram what worked on smart phones into the device of the next battle field -- TVs. "Look! You can do all those cool things that your smart phones do right on your TV! Yay! We beat Apple to it!"

I may not speak for everyone, but I do not want to use my TV as a computer or a smart phone. I do not care for FB on my TV screen, nor do I care for web browsing at 10 feet away. I want to be able to sit down and enjoy TV -- all my favorite shows, at any time I want. There are quite a few contenders in this space, but so far none has met my requirement. Whoever can make a TV that does this will get my money.

• Reply 7 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iTV
  • Reply 8 of 71

Quote:

...according to one analyst...

DOOMED!

DOA!

One analyst said so. imageimage

• Reply 9 of 71
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jce10 wrote: »
    Remember the pre-iPhone era? History is repeating itself.

Back then PCs were the central to how people use technology. So manufacturers tried to cram what worked on PCs into smart phones, while others tried to cram PCs into tablets, and both results were terrible.

Now that smart phones are the hottest thing, people start to cram what worked on smart phones into the device of the next battle field -- TVs. "Look! You can do all those cool things that your smart phones do right on your TV! Yay! We beat Apple to it!"

I may not speak for everyone, but I do not want to use my TV as a computer or a smart phone. I do not care for FB on my TV screen, nor do I care for web browsing at 10 feet away. I want to be able to sit down and enjoy TV -- all my favorite shows, at any time I want. There are quite a few contenders in this space, but so far none has met my requirement. Whoever can make a TV that does this will get my money.

I agree totally. I sometimes wonder if Steve and Tim decided to pretend they were thinking of a TV from Apple (as opposed to AppleTV) just to see everyone in the industry jumping around like cats on a hot tin roof trying to guess ahead of Apple releasing one, what might be coming.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    jungmark wrote: »
    on Sammy's logo. c'mon, that's the only microphone image ever created so of course it's gonna look familiar.

Why does it have to be a mic? Here is something for Sammy to steal... A talking person's head, talking Samsung robot...
  • Reply 11 of 71

Samsung's microphone is the result of them not copying Apple, which further illustrates that they can't design anything nice without copying everyone else.

• Reply 12 of 71
    Here's Apple's chance to regain the technology lead. They're getting mauled in the phone arena and the same will soon happen on the tablet front. TV is their only chance to stay relevent...
  • Reply 13 of 71
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

I keep saying it.  Just give me an A6 Apple TV with Apps so I can have Pandora, Amazon Instant Video, HBO Go, Showtime.  Tie that all in with an integrated search function, and bluetooth so I can hold a button and just ask siri in the remote (with auto-mute feature while I'm doing this) to go to "x" and it'll give me options.  That's all I need.

If they include it as a box & guide for U-Verse (or Fios, or any ITV provider)- I would be in Hog-heaven.  Oh the integrated search just becons me.  if this happens, we would also need built-in DVR capabilities (or at least the option for it to record to Time Capsule or Mac HD)

Something else that would be good- but I, personally, don't care about would be Games.

Look, Apple doesnt need to reinvent the TV.  Just give me the above and that would be the best set-top box on the market.  Right now, Roku is seriously adding features by the month that Apple is behind on.  And for cheaper.  And the XBox- although I'd never use it- is pretty freakin' impressive in it's own right.  Put a hurt on 'em Apple!

• Reply 14 of 71
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvanvelzer View Post

Here's Apple's chance to regain the technology lead. They're getting mauled in the phone arena and the same will soon happen on the tablet front.

Right....

• Reply 15 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I keep saying it.  Just give me an A6 Apple TV with Apps so I can have Pandora, Amazon Instant Video, HBO Go, Showtime.  Tie that all in with an integrated search function, and bluetooth so I can hold a button and just ask siri in the remote (with auto-mute feature while I'm doing this) to go to "x" and it'll give me options.  That's all I need.

If they include it as a box & guide for U-Verse (or Fios, or any ITV provider)- I would be in Hog-heaven.  Oh the integrated search just becons me.  if this happens, we would also need built-in DVR capabilities (or at least the option for it to record to Time Capsule or Mac HD)

Something else that would be good- but I, personally, don't care about would be Games.

Look, Apple doesnt need to reinvent the TV.  Just give me the above and that would be the best set-top box on the market.  Right now, Roku is seriously adding features by the month that Apple is behind on.  And for cheaper.  And the XBox- although I'd never use it- is pretty freakin' impressive in it's own right.  Put a hurt on 'em Apple!

Totally agree, and with the right accessories an Apple TV with apps could send XBox and every other gaming machine into a death spiral.

• Reply 16 of 71
    I don't want my TV to be smart. I want it to have a beautiful picture and that's that. Audio has already been pretty much eliminated for TV's so that's already done. Just give me a great monitor and a STB that won't hurt much when it becomes outdated. Pretty much what AppleTV is now except I'd really like to see them (Apple) go full bore into getting the most out of it.
  • Reply 17 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

While I always thought a smarter Apple TV would be enough, watchiing my parents try to navigate the pile of remotes they have for all of the boxes hooked up to their TV I can see that an integrated solution makes more sense in usability. 

• Reply 18 of 71

What, exactly, lets these people keep their jobs, much less get published? 

What are their credentials?

I mean, I, personally, myself, look at past trends, past sales, current sales, current marketshares, future trends, and speculative future tech, and I make decisions and guesses on the future of technology and products based on this information.

I guess that disqualifies me for being called an "analyst" because I actually did some research? I don't know; you tell me.

• Reply 19 of 71
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

I'm going to base my guess off what Tim Cook said, that cable companies currently control the experience... I've been writing my opinion on the matter on my website...  http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/opinions/apple-tv.php

• Reply 20 of 71
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets is at CES in Las Vegas, Nev., this week, and he's been unimpressed by the HDTVs he's seen. So-called "smart TVs" on display "really aren't that smart," he said in a note to investors on Thursday.

Agree.  Adding internet complexity on top of legacy desktop computer complexity doesn't make TVs "smart."

Jamming features into the box without re-thinking the whole experience is not the way forward.

Just ask WebTV / Google.

... and Samsung has promised a three-year commitment to customers, so that a 2012 smart TV can use 2015 features.

I wonder if Samsung made any such promise to customers who bought one of their 2010 - 2012 3D TVs.

I kind of doubt it.