Burning bootable windows CD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How can I burn a bootable windows CD using toast 5.1.3? Or at least make an editable ISO image? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I made a backup of my Win98 cd that came with VPC. Just did disk copy in toast. I don't know if it's bootable, haven't tried that, and since I got a dist of linux running on VPC I don't use Win anymore.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I can make a copy of a cd and have it be bootable. But I can't figure out a way to make an image, hac, errrr, customize it, and then burn it to be bootable. Any suggestions? What I'm trying to do is install an OEM copy of win 2000 in vpc (the dell is mine and I, um, don't use it anymore.) Is it possible?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Can disk copy make windows ISO's? You could do that and edit it in either the Mac or Win environment (transfer through VPC's file sharing). There is a way to mount a disk image as bootable with disk copy. THen you just have to burn that. I don't know if this will allow the burned one to be bootable on a pc though...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i have a WinME .iso sitting here on my desktop. i mounted it so it's a disc and i can see what's in it. i tried to edit it, but i have to be logged in as root to do it. stupid OSX.

so it can probably be done. i would say log in as root, edit the image, save it as an .iso, and reburn it.

not sure it will still boot, but i don't see why not.

just be sure to only edit the files that you don't need. in your case, if the win2k is designed only for a Dell computer, that might be a pain in the ass. there's a very good chance it's going to only install on a Dell, as key files will be set up Dell only.

it might be a lot easier to just *cough* find win2k *cough* on the 'net.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I'll try the logging in as root thing before going the big C route. I found out how to get around the bios check to get it installed but it's not working for some reason. I'll try this one last thing before I give up on it.

BTW, how do you make the image. I tried making one in toast, but it's not writable. Could you give me the steps, step by step? TIA.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    ok, here's how i did it.

(and make sure you have the latest version of Toast, just to be safe)

open toast.

drag the disc onto the open window. (i used the data one, although you might be able to do it in other) then hit 'apple-D' to make a disc image.

double click the .toast file.

go over to the 'other' menu in toast.

click on mount.

that should load up the file as a disc on the desktop.

-alcimedes

edit: tried to make it clearer, not sure i did.

just make sure to load it up at the end in the other window and mount the image. then you're good to go.

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Man, are you sure that you can edit a .toast image? It's not working for me. I did exactly what you said and I still can't edit the image after mounting it. I even tried to change the permissions on it through the terminal just in case that was the problem and it told me operation wasn't permitted b/c it's a 'cd'. Now I'm frustrated and determined to get thing to work. Why am I so stubborn? I should just let this go...