2013 smart TVs dismissed as 'not that smart,' leaving opportunity for Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What, exactly, lets these people keep their jobs, much less get published? 

What are their credentials?

I mean, I, personally, myself, look at past trends, past sales, current sales, current marketshares, future trends, and speculative future tech, and I make decisions and guesses on the future of technology and products based on this information.

I guess that disqualifies me for being called an "analyst" because I actually did some research? I don't know; you tell me.

I like to think of tech stock analysts as being in "show business for spreadsheet jockeys."  None of them knows what the next big "hit" is going to be, so they all try their best to come up with something that will give them their big break.  All trying to be this year's overnight sensation.

All it takes is one correct prediction that nobody else got right, and BOOM.  We have our next rock star analyst.

• Reply 22 of 71
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    White noted that Samsung's voice recognition feature has a logo "nearly identical to Apple's Siri.".

I guess Topeka Capital Markets hires the blind.
  • Reply 23 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvanvelzer View Post

Here's Apple's chance to regain the technology lead. They're getting mauled in the phone arena and the same will soon happen on the tablet front. TV is their only chance to stay relevent...

How are they getting mauled when they make more money than all their competitors? I agree they are losing market share as competitors catch up but they are still making billions of dollars making them the most "relevant" company in the world.

• Reply 24 of 71
    My take on smartTV. Instead of flipping through hundreds of channels to find what's good and what fits your current mood. The TV should allow for viewer to create a set of customized channels by users id who is controlling the remote. Daddy, ID 1. Mommy ID 2 etc... Then, each channel can comprise of any categories such as channels, actor, genre, rating, and fromdifferent sources such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Apple, Sat, Cable, Vimeo, Youtube etc... Hence, each person in the house would have just a dozen or so channels to flip through to get to the movies or shows they prefer to watch. Once selected each channel can further be sorted or filtered by preference such as newest, most popular, currently watching, etc.. . So, theoretically, a viewer find the exact show or movies he likes to watch in just 3-5 clicks.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    Apple (or anybody else) needs to build a TV that lets me watch the channels I want to watch instead of just what my provider makes available to me.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    This is similar to Zite or Flipboard app on the iPad for reading news. The smart part is the engine that goes out to fetch the movies based on your preferences and bring them to your "channel" as you rate your viewing habits.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I've got a Samsung TV. It's a nice piece of kit but the smart aspect of it isn't so great. The interface is really slow and clunky - it's like using a pre-iPhone smartphone. It feels like a tick-box list of features rather than anything that the designers have thought long and hard about. All of the pieces are there but not in a thoughtful and integrated manner. Where possible, I use my Apple TV instead. It's only really BBC iPlayer that's stopping me from using the Apple TV for everything.

The one thing I do really like about it is the fact that you can plug any old USB harddrive or memory stick into it and have it act as a DVR. That's pretty neat.

• Reply 29 of 71

I broke down and got my girls an Xbox for Xmas, so they could have their friends over and play the Kinnect games. Kind of hurt to have to buy Microsoft hardware but I love that they actively use it to jump around with their friends. The interface is only poor to fair, lots of room for improvement in that department. I think the whole social games/exercise area with an improved, built-in Kinnect like sensor is a ripe market for Apple to enter. 

• Reply 30 of 71
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    One recurringly biased and oriented analyst speaking of himself as "we". Thanks for the intel.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    powermach wrote: »

So? Considering that the Samsung logo looks almost completely different from the Apple one, what's your point?
  • Reply 32 of 71

Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

The icon is patented.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/11/27/apple-patents-siri-microphone-icon

I don't really see how they could do that. Trademark? Absolutely. Tear Samsung a brand new one (now they have a baker's dozen ones!) for their pathetic knockoff thereof? Absolutely. But patent? It's… not really patentable.

• Reply 33 of 71
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    As long as Samesong makes copies that look so terrible Apple has nothing to worry about , really look at it: a black silloette inside crappy mess of colored hexagon, jeex what was the graphic artist smoking LOL
  • Reply 34 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So? Considering that the Samsung logo looks almost completely different from the Apple one, what's your point

• Reply 35 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't really see how they could do that. Trademark? Absolutely. Tear Samsung a brand new one (now they have a baker's dozen ones!) for their pathetic knockoff thereof? Absolutely. But patent? It's… not really patentable.

Patent:

The ornamental design for a display screen or portion thereof with icon.

• Reply 36 of 71

Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

Patent:

The ornamental design for a display screen or portion thereof with icon.

That just doesn't sound patentable. That sounds like an idea. A very broad idea.

• Reply 37 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Siri is not the key, or key, at all. Key in content, hardware design, software integration, an App Store and a good go-to-market strategy (which relies essentially on content).

• Reply 38 of 71
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So? Considering that the Samsung logo looks almost completely different from the Apple one, what's your point?

It's very weird. It obviously doesn't look the same as the Siri logo, but why did they decide on a microphone at all? And why pick the same kind of microphone as Apple? A phone would have some kind of telephone for a logo, a voice recording app might naturally have a microphone for a logo, but why a microphone for Siri or the Samsung app? It's not immediately obvious how a microphone relates to Siri or the Samsung app. Apple chose a microphone, that's their choice. Samsung then chooses a microphone for their app - why? And the same kind of microphone - there are many different styles of mics. It's blatant brainless copying. Wow, they changed the border, and darkened the microphone - very creative. It's funny that they made it very ugly.

• Reply 39 of 71
    paul94544 wrote: »
    As long as Samesong makes copies that look so terrible Apple has nothing to worry about , really look at it: a black silloette inside crappy mess of colored hexagon, jeex what was the graphic artist smoking LOL

They got caught putting a white phone receiver facing right on a green background, and had to explain it was the only way to depict a phone function.