Apple's 27" iMacs continue to face production issues

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is still facing manufacturing issues with its new big-screen 27-inch iMac, though a report claims the issue could start to improve in February.

Citing industry sources, hit-or-miss DigiTimes reported on Thursday that mass production issues can be pinned on iMac panel supplier LG Display. The problem apparently stems from full lamination issues in producing the panels.

Apple and LG are only able to produce about 100,000 units a month, according to the report. The issues do not apparently apply to the 21.5-inch iMac, which has reached monthly shipments of between 300,000 and 400,000.

AppleInsider previously noted on Monday that Apple's iMacs remain in short supply more than a month after the new all-in-one desktop launched. In fact, Apple's reseller channel remains completely out of stock of the 21.5-inch model.

iMac

Apple's online store advertises that the 27-inch iMac will ship to new orders in three to four weeks. The wait isn't quite as long with the 21.5-inch model, which ships in 7 to 10 business days.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said publicly in October that there would be "significant shortage" of iMacs in the December quarter. And analyst Ming-chi Kuo of KGI Securities was first to reveal in August that the new screen lamination process used in building the new iMacs is particularly difficult with the larger 27-inch model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 154

Apple is Laminated.™

• Reply 2 of 154
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Nuts!
  • Reply 3 of 154
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    The shipments out have picked up steam in the last few days.
  • Reply 4 of 154
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Glad I ordered and received my when I did.
  • Reply 5 of 154
    Thanks, Tim. You're doing a bang-up job with the supply chain. They had said your were some supply chain genius. NOT! No wonder Apple's share price is in the toilet.
  • Reply 6 of 154
    I got mine and it rocks! 3.4 GHz and Fusion drive
  • Reply 7 of 154
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Should have given the job to Samsung.

• Reply 8 of 154
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    AApple and LG are only able to produce about 100,000 units a month, according to the report. The issues do not apparently apply to the 21.5-inch iMac, which has reached monthly shipments of between 300,000 and 400,000.

Keep in mind that Apple's total sales for Macbook Pro, MacBook Air, Mini, Mac Pro, and iMac are around 16 M per year.

However, those figures are very dependent on quarter. First (calendar) quarter sales will likely be around 3 to 3.5 M units. At the above production rates, Apple can ship between 1.2 M and 1.5 M iMacs this quarter. Given that Apple's laptop sales have been much stronger than desktop sales for years, I don't think that these numbers are all that much of a constraint.
  • Reply 9 of 154
    I wonder what Apple plans to do with its Cinema Displays. They are still thicker than the iMac, are they not? You'd think that if they could ditch the computer, the Cinema Displays could simply be as thin as the iMac aspires to be--that is, without the bulge.
  • Reply 10 of 154
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Is it really an 'issue' or rather just that the whole process has to be done slower for quality reasons. And then the hand calibration that Tim mentioned would be a little slower also
  • Reply 11 of 154
    "...Digitimes reported....". Need anyone say more?
  • Reply 12 of 154

Receive mine on December 21. Died December 28th. HD failure. Still waiting for my replacement to ship. 

• Reply 13 of 154
    An Apple store employee told me they had to wait until mid-March to order theirs with discount...that SUCKS!
  • Reply 14 of 154

dt;dr

• Reply 15 of 154
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I wonder what Apple plans to do with its Cinema Displays. They are still thicker than the iMac, are they not? You'd think that if they could ditch the computer, the Cinema Displays could simply be as thin as the iMac aspires to be--that is, without the bulge.

They have not updated their Thunderbolt or Cinema displays yet, I doubt they will until they catch up with the iMacs. With the pivot, I expect there to be some bulge. I don't think they will depart too far from the iMac style.
  • Reply 16 of 154
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cagctg View Post

I got mine and it rocks! 3.4 GHz and Fusion drive

Apples appears to be shipping the higher margin one first which would make sense if they are limited on what they can ship

• Reply 17 of 154

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

They have not updated their Thunderbolt or Cinema displays yet, I doubt they will until they catch up with the iMacs. With the pivot, I expect there to be some bulge. I don't think they will depart too far from the iMac style.

And it still needs depth for the ports on the back.

• Reply 18 of 154
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    And it still needs depth for the ports on the back.

Also, speakers, display circuitry and the power supply.
  • Reply 19 of 154
    Give me the updated 27" Thunderbolt Display with USB 3.0 and the updated macbook power connector!!! Freaking waiting and waiting with cash in hand!!
  • Reply 20 of 154
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Really wanted one of these but a configuration that would be powerful enough to replace my desktop was priced at $2,499, and that's not including upgraded memory, which I would do myself since Apple charges a $100 premium for god knows why.