Where can I download a complete 8.1 from?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Dear geniuses, i have an old starmax which I upgraded to a G3and I'm selling-except that the bugger won't start-up now. I seem to have lost my system disk- is there any way that I can download a complete system (not an update) onto my DP533 and burn a system disk for it- if so where do I go. Thanks,alex.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    sorry, the most recent one you can get from apple for free is the 7.5 series. not sure there are any legit. downloads of 8.x, but you can look around.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    How about 7.5 systems in other languages? I'd like to have a copy in Chinese for my old LC. Where can I download it?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    apple's ftp server has it.

ftp.apple.com

just search around, you'll find it. i have no idea what it was like in other languages, but i don't think it was great. i know a japanese women who bought disks to give her a better japanese language kit. can't imagine that if japanese isn't supported (when japan is typically pro mac) that chinese would be any better.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Check the ad section of a Macworld/MacAddict magazine. Some online dealers will sell a CD copy of 8.1 and 8.5. I'd tell ya exactly which dealers but I don't remember and I don't have my magazines with me at the moment.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    try <a href="http://www.tracker-tracker.com/carracho/index.php"; target="_blank">Carracho, my FAVORITE store.</a>