Tablets predicted to surpass notebook PC shipments this year

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Tasks in real life aren't "app-centered", but "task-centered".

The natural way is to organize such memories by places, and not by "app". That's how people have always done things for centuries, long before computers existed.

And yet any time a mixing of genres of content in a "task" or "event", people do EXACTLY THIS, so it's just like your vaunted archaic methods.

Can the iPad be used for tasks other than these?

No.

BA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Well, believe whatever you want to believe, I guess. Ignorance is bliss. 

• Reply 42 of 52
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

The trick is in the workflow and matching it realistically to the mobile tech we have now, with a keen eye to what we'll have available in a very short time.

The reason iOS isn't OSX is not that iOS is more powerful, nor more advanced, nor that OSX isn't "touch-ready" (which isn't the case), but that iOS is easier to play with it if you've never used a computer. If you read Steve Jobs quotes from the design of iOS, you'll notice they were targeting users that wanted a phone but without any computer knowledge.

So, please stop considering iOS as more powerful or more advanced than OSX because that's not the case. If you're a computer user, there's nothing that iOS can do that cannot be done on OSX, while there're a lot of things that you can do on OSX and just cannot be done on iOS.

I see it nonsense to think of "the mobile tech we have now" in just terms of the iPad. The mobile tech we have now can run Android (which has a filesystem), can run Linux (many lightweight tablets can run it), and can run OSX (the Macbook Air just weights slightly more than an iPad).

If your reasoning is that more powerful mobile tech equals stop having a filesystem, it's simply nonsense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc  View Post

Consider thinking outside the box before you absolutely have to to survive... or before it's too late! image

All my work is done in formats friendly with all Unices out there and I take care of choosing formats supported by multiplatform applications, so, yes, I've everything ready for going away from not only iOS, but also from OSX in case it also becomes an unusable OS, which looks quite likely. Everything was done on increasing quality from Tiger, to Leopard, to Snow Leopard, but after that it's been downhill.

Personally I'd prefer OSX to continue evolving as the most powerful OS, like it is now, but since Lion everything can happen. I'd prefer to continue using OSX forever, however I don't choose Apple because I love Apple, but because it's the best tool. If it stops being the best tool, I'll stop using it.

I'm not an iKiddie. I'm very critical with the technology I use. I applaud Apple when a product is awesome. But I criticize them when they make a mistake, and yes, they make a lot of mistakes. Replying to your advice, don't worry, I won't be in the boat when it sinks... if OSX becomes unusable, I would have moved already to another OS before the boat sinks.

OTOH, iKiddies will be on the boat when it sinks. People considering an Apple product is always awesome even when even Apple acknowledges it's wrong, people considering nobody should need a filesystem, and people considering 640K ought to be enough for anybody, will be on the boat when it sinks (note that "sinking" doesn't necessarily mean running out of business, but stop making tools that can be used).

• Reply 43 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[...]

Well, believe whatever you want to believe, I guess. Ignorance is bliss. 

Indeed, I warned Maps was not ready for launch, and all I got was bashing from iKiddies. Later facts proved me right. The same will happen with this "I wanna live without a filesystem because Apple cannot be wrong" fever.

• Reply 44 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Ignorance is bliss. 

That idiom has always bothered me. Ignorant people seem to be the most cantankerous. I understand what is meant by that but I think in general people who are more educated have more likely to have fewer preconceived notions that lead to wrong conclusions.

Also, the phrase "great minds think alike" seems completely backwards. It's the common mind that thinks like everyone else or blindly accepts things as they are. It's the great minds that think in ways that no one else has ever thought of with the greatest of them all being able to change the way the rest of us perceive the world moving forward.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Is a 'Chrome Book' or whatever they are called classed as a Netbook?

The wikipedia page seems to be the best article on the subject of netbooks, and I think it fits the core concepts pretty well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook

I don't know if the category is viable anymore though, many of the anchor tenants have shrunk or abandoned their netbook offerings.
  • Reply 46 of 52

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That idiom has always bothered me. Ignorant people seem to be the most cantankerous. I understand what is meant by that but I think in general people who are more educated have more likely to have fewer preconceived notions that lead to wrong conclusions.

Also, the phrase "great minds think alike" seems completely backwards. It's the common mind that thinks like everyone else or blindly accepts things as they are. It's the great minds that think in ways that no one else has ever thought of with the greatest of them all being able to change the way the rest of us perceive the world moving forward.

It's gems like this… I love it. 

• Reply 47 of 52
    ecs wrote: »
    Indeed, I warned Maps was not ready for launch, and all I got was bashing from iKiddies. Later facts proved me right. The same will happen with this "I wanna live without a filesystem because Apple cannot be wrong" fever.

Oh really. Then please do explain why for many people Apple maps works better than Google's? Also... which one do you think has a better future? I'm not saying that Google is going to stop innovating any time soon either, but who benefits from all of this? Apple users!

Your remark regarding Mountain Lion going down hill: BS! It has the "lion's share" of all modern Apple OSes on the market with the fastest % of user upgrades on any platform...ever. Stable and speedy. What more do ya want for your legacy apps?

I also have clients that have to stay put a while longer on SL working with old formats and documents. So cliché...sorry... but today is not tomorrow and is not forever.

In a short 6 months time we'll know what's being readied for iOS7... or do you think Apple is finished now and Sir Jony is simply going to strip skewmorphism out and call it a day?

BTW: those other tablets with HDMI ports, USB, SD slots, etc.? They were/are a stop-gap differentiator that certain OEMs "thought" people wanted... kinda like Flash. The majority of people don't use them... the devices won't have 'em in 2 years... and we don't even need 'em now. I haven't plugged in some devices since iOS5 over a year ago. Just no need to at all.

I stand behind my prediction: iOS does NOT need a file system, nor will it ever see one. Manipulating files and/or file system on another device, absolutely. It does it very well today, so what's your problem?

I never said that OSX was going away... far from it. It is on OSX where the file system will reside, as with all servers based on Unix. Oh.... you do know that OSX has Apache/HTTP and FTP server tech built in, right? So imagine Apple takes it a step further and puts a gorgeous dead simple interface on it geared towards everyday consumers. Well hallelujah... we got ourselves a consumer home iCloud! A step further by having the ability to set it all up from an iPad/iPhone wirelessly... or if you so desire, an attached monitor, KB and mouse.

Guess how most people will interact with their data.... and just by sheer numbers alone, a safe bet: iOS and/or mobile devices. They will be the input/viewer window of choice for over 300 million users accessing their private as well as external clouds.

If it wasn't so painful, I would point you to the CES keynote. If you think Apple is alone in this vision or I'm just being difficult, think again.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    I dont's see that Apple is going to put a filesystem to iOs devices. I would like one, but that's probably not going to happen.
    With a filesystem apple cannot control contents on these devices as good as they can now with all the syncing over itunes and stuff.
    Apple is always playing it safe when it comes to 'openness'. A filesystem is opening the devices to all kinds of content or files. Apple doesn't want that.
    I think it's the flash discussion all over again.
  • Reply 49 of 52

Originally Posted by changeover View Post

With a filesystem apple cannot control contents on these devices as good as they can now with all the syncing over itunes and stuff.

Sure they can. iOS has a filesystem right now, of course. And the user even has access to some of it. But having full access all the time, able to put anything anywhere from anywhere? That's just not needed. There'll be more and better control on our end of what we do see, but Apple will always be able to lock it down.

• Reply 50 of 52
    Oh really. Then please do explain why for many people Apple maps works better than Google's? Also... which one do you think has a better future? I'm not saying that Google is going to stop innovating any time soon either, but who benefits from all of this? Apple users!

Your remark regarding Mountain Lion going down hill: BS! It has the "lion's share" of all modern Apple OSes on the market with the fastest % of user upgrades on any platform...ever. Stable and speedy. What more do ya want for your legacy apps?

I also have clients that have to stay put a while longer on SL working with old formats and documents. So cliché...sorry... but today is not tomorrow and is not forever.

In a short 6 months time we'll know what's being readied for iOS7... or do you think Apple is finished now and Sir Jony is simply going to strip skewmorphism out and call it a day?

BTW: those other tablets with HDMI ports, USB, SD slots, etc.? They were/are a stop-gap differentiator that certain OEMs "thought" people wanted... kinda like Flash. The majority of people don't use them... the devices won't have 'em in 2 years... and we don't even need 'em now. I haven't plugged in some devices since iOS5 over a year ago. Just no need to at all.

I stand behind my prediction: iOS does NOT need a file system, nor will it ever see one. Manipulating files and/or file system on another device, absolutely. It does it very well today, so what's your problem?

I never said that OSX was going away... far from it. It is on OSX where the file system will reside, as with all servers based on Unix. Oh.... you do know that OSX has Apache/HTTP and FTP server tech built in, right? So imagine Apple takes it a step further and puts a gorgeous dead simple interface on it geared towards everyday consumers. Well hallelujah... we got ourselves a consumer home iCloud! A step further by having the ability to set it all up from an iPad/iPhone wirelessly... or if you so desire, an attached monitor, KB and mouse.

Guess how most people will interact with their data.... and just by sheer numbers alone, a safe bet: iOS and/or mobile devices. They will be the input/viewer window of choice for over 300 million users accessing their private as well as external clouds.

If it wasn't so painful, I would point you to the CES keynote. If you think Apple is alone in this vision or I'm just being difficult, think again.

First of all, I didn't criticize Mountain Lion, but Lion. I consider ML superior to Lion, but still worse than SL (in terms of usability). If ML had moved more in the direction of Lion, it's likely that I would have dropped OSX.

Second, no, there's no future for the coexistence of both OSX and iOS, it will be just one OS because personal computing will go 100% mobile, and the same goes for digital artists and every computing use except massive servers. And this OS will have an user-accessible filesystem, because we organize ourselves by topics, and not by document types. You organize your stuff by subject, and it's in your nature because an scent doesn't remember you of other scents, but of the events that happened when you smelled that scent in the past. It's our nature, and you won't change it no matter how revolutionary a new idea might be. So people will choose systems with direct access to filesystems. Maybe filesystems won't be exactly as we know them today, maybe there will be a more intuitive approach, but we need direct access to a filesystem for doing stuff in the way our human nature works. iOS is acceptable if you can also use OSX. But if you had to stop using OSX (as the move from PC to tablets suggests), you couldn't survive with just iOS, and the only reason is the lack of access to the filesystem.

Third, connectivity on iOS is very bad. Your dream of your custom cloud cannot happen within Apple products. They don't allow to use third party cloud systems directly from apps, and it's a marketing decision. The same you need to use a music store (iTunes) if you want USB file transfer. Apple is doing all of this with a very aggressive strategy. I criticized Microsoft a lot in the past for using this same strategy. You could set up your custom cloud with other OSs, but it won't happen with Apple products
  • Reply 51 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But having full access all the time, able to put anything anywhere from anywhere? That's just not needed.

And if it is needed, there's an app for that. :)

• Reply 52 of 52

Originally Posted by changeover View Post

And if it is needed, there's an app for that. :)

No, Apple blocks those.