Quake3 X 1.31 Beta 5 Dedicated Server

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do you start a dedicated server in Quake 3 for OS X? I have tried launching Quake3 from the terminal with +set dedicated 1, but it won't initialize. It just basically sits there forever.

If I launch a dedicated server from within Quake3 it goes back to the desktop and Quake 3 continues to run but there isn't a terminal or console so I can input commands. I have run Quake3 dedicated servers on Linux before and you just launch the app from the terminal and Quake3 outputs all of its status information to the terminal so you can see what is going on and you can change maps, kick bots, add bots, basically everything from the terminal once the server is running.

Perhaps I don't have all the files necessary. I just did a clean install from 1.31 beta 4. I took the files from the beta 4 folder and added my q3ut2 (urban terror) folder, the beta 5 Quake3.app. The following is a list of what is in my baseq3 and missionpack folders.
  • baseq3: pak0.pk3, pak7.pk3

• missonpack: pak0.pk3, pak2.pk3, q3key

In the root Quake3 folder I just have my quake3.app, baseq3, missionpack, and q3ut2 folders.

Am I missing some files?

Thanks for your help.

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: Quarem ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    sarcsarc Posts: 14member
    I think there's no 1.31 version (beta or not) of the dedicated server ...

anyway, what you shall do is:

1) Duplicate quakeIII.app and rename it like, q3server.app

2)move the Q3DedicatedServer binary into q3server.app/Contents/MacOS/ (you can do this either via the terminal or by righ-or-control-clicking the q3server.app icon and selecting show package contents from the contextual menu)

3) in orther to launch it you type in the terminal

cd /games/quake3/ (or whatever your path to the quake3 folder is)

4) then type, ./q3server.app/Contents/MacOS/Q3DedicatedServer

That's it ..

Sarc

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: Sarc ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Sarc:

<strong>I think there's no 1.31 version (beta or not) of the dedicated server ...

anyway, what you shall do is:

1) Duplicate quakeIII.app and rename it like, q3server.app

2)move the Q3DedicatedServer binary into q3server.app/Contents/MacOS/ (you can do this either via the terminal or by righ-or-control-clicking the q3server.app icon and selecting show package contents from the contextual menu)

3) in orther to launch it you type in the terminal

cd /games/quake3/ (or whatever your path to the quake3 folder is)

4) then type, ./q3server.app/Contents/MacOS/Q3DedicatedServer

That's it ..

Sarc

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: Sarc ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks.

I downloaded the Q3 1.30b1 to get the dedicated server and I followed your instructions, but the server can't make it past the Common Initialization. q3server just keep bouncing in the dock as well. Do you have any other ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    After trying to unsucsessfully Run the dedicated, look into the Console (Applications -&gt; Utilities -&gt; Console)

See if quake3 threw any errors.

Sarc
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [localhost:/Applications/Quake3] quarem% ./q3server.app/Contents/MacOS/Q3DedicatedServer

Q3 1.30 MacOSX-ppc Oct 1 2001

----- FS_Startup -----

Current search path:

/Users/quarem/Library/Application Support/Quake3/baseq3

/Applications/Quake3/baseq3/pak7.pk3 (4 files)

/Applications/Quake3/baseq3/pak6.pk3 (64 files)

/Applications/Quake3/baseq3/pak5.pk3 (7 files)

/Applications/Quake3/baseq3/pak4.pk3 (272 files)

/Applications/Quake3/baseq3/pak3.pk3 (4 files)

/Applications/Quake3/baseq3/pak2.pk3 (148 files)

/Applications/Quake3/baseq3/pak1.pk3 (26 files)

/Applications/Quake3/baseq3/pak0.pk3 (3539 files)

/Applications/Quake3/baseq3

----------------------

4064 files in pk3 files

execing default.cfg

execing q3config.cfg

couldn't exec autoexec.cfg

Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok

Opening IP socket: localhost:27960

IP: 192.168.1.3 (en0)

--- Common Initialization Complete ---

Hitch warning: 2206 msec frame time

Hitch warning: 517 msec frame time

This is what I get. The Console doesn't seem to be updating.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Nothing out of the ordinary, and the bouncing thing is normal (as a sidenote i recommend that you turn off dock bouncing, it will increase performance).

Now all you need to do is execute a server config, for example

execute ffa.config

or

execute ctf.config

You can start the server in a particular mod as well (don't remember the command right now), for example OSP or Urban Terror, and execute the respective server configs.

If you don't know them, you can llok for them in each mod's folder, or use PakRat to llok for them inside the game paks (.pk3 files).

Sarc
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Sarc:

<strong>Nothing out of the ordinary, and the bouncing thing is normal (as a sidenote i recommend that you turn off dock bouncing, it will increase performance).

Now all you need to do is execute a server config, for example

execute ffa.config

or

execute ctf.config

You can start the server in a particular mod as well (don't remember the command right now), for example OSP or Urban Terror, and execute the respective server configs.

If you don't know them, you can llok for them in each mod's folder, or use PakRat to llok for them inside the game paks (.pk3 files).

Sarc</strong><hr></blockquote>

Whoa! Thanks a lot.

For urban terror I think the command is +set fs_gametype q3ut2 when you launch it. Does that sound familiar to you?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Quarem:

<strong>

Whoa! Thanks a lot.

For urban terror I think the command is +set fs_gametype q3ut2 when you launch it. Does that sound familiar to you?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was playing around now, and got to it.

You have to start the server as described above and type after Q3DedicatedServer +set fs_game "q3ut2"

That should do it, then execute the default server config (server.cfg, but modify it first) or make one yourself.

I don't know if this is very usefull since there's no 1.31 version of the Dedicated Server, so you still got to play with quake3 1.30 wich most people don't have anymore. But at least you learned how to get a Dedicated up so you know how to do so when 1.31 eventually comes out *COF* come on graeme *COF*

Cheers.

Sarc

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: Sarc ]</p>