Zero-day flaw prompts Apple to block Java 7 from OS X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Simple fix until the new Plugin for Java 7 comes out...just follow Apple's own advice for how to uninstall the Java 7 Plugin and resintall the Java 6 Plugin that came with Mountain Lion. I did it today...works great and Oracle says there is no problem with the Java 6 Plugin.

For those who have to dump on Java...there are some of us who don't have a choice and have to rely on it to access secure VPNs, etc. to work on websites or access intranets.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    If you do any 3D printing, you're using java. I use java on my Mac more then not.
    mrstep wrote: »
    Are there any actual Java apps being used on the desktop? It's obviously dangerous for the browser, but in every case I've seen it's also sub-par as a native app experience. So while the title may be misleading, it sounds pretty good. ;)

[And no, not if you're doing server development with it, I do understand that not supporting Java would be an issue for those users... Just can't stand it crapping up web pages or 'portable' desktop stuff.]
  • Reply 23 of 43
    [B]crashplan[/B] is another notable java desktop app that is in widespread use.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Can you bypass Apple's protection by simply altering the minimum version number string or is there some other solution for those that just have to use Java on their Mac?
  • Reply 25 of 43
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    bunnyhero wrote: »
    crashplan is another notable java desktop app that is in widespread use.

Now that you mention it, a lot of cloud storage clients seem to be written in Java.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Can you bypass Apple's protection by simply altering the minimum version number string or is there some other solution for those that just have to use Java on their Mac?

Maybe using a browser other than Safari would work? I'm not sure but maybe only Safari and Mail check that list.

• Reply 27 of 43
    ascii wrote: »
    Maybe using a browser other than Safari would work? I'm not sure but maybe only Safari and Mail check that list.

Since it's Java and not JS I assume that it's locked down for the entire system.
  • Reply 28 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Since it's Java and not JS I assume that it's locked down for the entire system.

I think it's up to individual apps to check the list or not, there's not like a plugin loading API they call that checks the list for them. I could be wrong though because I mostly program iOS not OS X.

• Reply 29 of 43
    ascii wrote: »
    I think it's up to individual apps to check the list or not, there's not like a plugin loading API they call that checks the list for them. I could be wrong though because I mostly program iOS not OS X.

I really don't know how deep Apple made the protection. I installed Java for some work thing but I don't recall what that was or if I ever even used it.
  • Reply 30 of 43

Hey, where can I download this latest one, 1.7.0_10-b19? I've been look everywhere for this little shit :(

• Reply 31 of 43
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

• Reply 32 of 43

Oracle should just stop shipping the browser plugin. It's getting to the point where it's ruining the reputation of the entire Java brand and platform.

• Reply 33 of 43
  • Reply 34 of 43

Where I work we use 2 distinct Java apps...one for Internet authentication and another that is vital for day to day operations.

Seeing these disabled by Apple periodically has created a ton of extra work for our tech support staff.

• Reply 35 of 43
    Stagecast. A neat little simulation environment, Java based. Started life as the "original" Cocoa (get it? Cocoa is like Java but for kids? Cute?) at Apple under Larry Tesler. When NEXT/OpenStep came to Apple and Cocoa was part of it, there was a needed name change and Stagecast emerged as a separate company. IIRC the plan was you would be able to flip the sims over and see the Java code behind what you did in the graphical environment (like in LOGO) but that part never got done.

Oh yeah, and the AP Computer Science test uses Java to test programming skills.
  • Reply 36 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Oh yeah, and the AP Computer Science test uses Java to test programming skills.

So, High School students are now required to learn how to create exploits to take over computer systems?!

Just for fun:

1. Sony's Ultraviolet registration requires using Java 6. I've been having trouble installing Java 6 while Java 7 is still installed. I'll probably have to pull it out to do the installation. Oh, and since I don't have a *disk* to go with my copy of Mountain Lion, I'll have to find the installer someplace else.

2. I'm aware of a company that requires Java 6 Release 18 for certain old Java code. This code also seems completely incompatible with MacOS X, plus even under Windows the applet will fail to run on more recent versions of Java 6 and Java 7.

• Reply 37 of 43
    kr00kr00 Posts: 99member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Java and Javascript are two different things. They are not related at all.

Did I say JavaScript? No it didn't did I. If a coder has to write for java, it can be called scripting or coding.
  • Reply 38 of 43

Originally Posted by Kr00 View Post

Did I say JavaScript? No it didn't did I. If a coder has to write for java, it can be called scripting or coding.

Granted, but you did say "web development", and truly (though this may just be me), the number of actual Java applets I've seen on the Internet in the past decade has dropped precipitously. Really, what uses Java on the web anymore?

• Reply 39 of 43
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

I'm not looking forward to losing Glimmerblocker, Cyberduck or Vuze. These are all free apps, so it's in poor taste to blast the developers for using Java. And these are polished products, not .jar files.

Tallest Skil View Post

mrstep View Post

Are there any actual Java apps being used on the desktop?

All of Adobe's crap requires Java to run.

I thought Adobe rolled their own now, Adobe AIR.

Tallest Skil View Post

The number of actual Java applets I've seen on the Internet in the past decade has dropped precipitously. Really, what uses Java on the web anymore?

Most virtualization that I use for work. We did have a Citrix client system, but migrated to Java-based access for terminal and print-to-file.

• Reply 40 of 43

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

I'm not looking forward to losing Glimmerblocker, Cyberduck or Vuze. These are all free apps, so it's in poor taste to blast the developers for using Java. And these are polished products, not .jar files.

I'm amazed every time I hear that Glimmerblocker still works. Why not AdBlock+Ghostery for all your ad blocking needs? 

I thought Adobe rolled their own now, Adobe AIR.

Maybe I just don't have that installed, but I'm still asked (by OS X) to install Java whenever I click an Adobe program and it's not already done.