WSJ: Apple cuts iPhone 5 component orders in half due to weak demand

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 97

Did trusted journalism die with the typewriter?

• Reply 82 of 97

And how does the WSJ 'feel' about Dell being in talks to take their company private? This news just broke.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/14/dell-rumor-private-company-291572/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/14/3876110/dell-in-talks-to-take-company-private-says-bloomberg

• Reply 83 of 97

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And how does the WSJ 'feel' about Dell being in talks to take their company private? This news just broke.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/14/dell-rumor-private-company-291572/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/14/3876110/dell-in-talks-to-take-company-private-says-bloomberg

But… how will Apple ever buy it, shut it down, and give the money back to the shareholders now?!

• Reply 84 of 97
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,276moderator
    kdarling wrote:
    Of course, just being equal to last year would be considered a poor showing.

They'd be around equal if they didn't sell any iPhone 4 and 4S models. Even half of 65 million is around last year's total for just the iPhone 5 model.
    kdarling wrote:
    Apple is expected to greatly increase sales YOY, just like Samsung.

You mean just like Samsung reports.

kdarling wrote:
    Informed <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">financial followers know that Apple does NOT just report end user sales, as a popular but ignorant internet myth claims.</span> Apple reported 35 million sales.   However, it turned out later there were almost three</span>
    <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;"> million more retailer sell-ins than end user sell-throughs.   </span>
    <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">Retailers had been shipped (sold) too much inventory.  </span>

It balanced out the following quarter:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/24/apple-reports-results-for-q3-2012-8-8-billion-profit-on-35-billion-in-revenue/

2.6m more one quarter, 3m less the next. You're right though they do report sell-in, not sell-through. Both numbers just happen to not be out by a factor of 10 like Samsung.
  • Reply 85 of 97
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I think Apple needs to constantly get Tim Cook to make publicity statements that are covered better to contain the rumor of a cheaper phone.

Did Apple say orders were cut in half?  Who were these SOURCES?

• Reply 86 of 97

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think Apple needs to constantly get Tim Cook to make publicity statements that are covered better to contain the rumor of a cheaper phone.

Why? Schiller said it. It was covered. End of story.

…SOURCES?

Does… not… compute!

• Reply 87 of 97
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgeland View Post

I guarantee the WSJ (and you) are COMPLETELY wrong on this. It's going to be yet another record iPhone sales quarter. Count on it. 

I know Dec 12 will be a record quarter, but from the sounds of it, they are talking about this quarter. 

Let's look at a year ago.

I have in my spreadsheet

Dec 2011 at 37 Mil units.

March 2012 at 35 Mil units.

June 2012 at 26 Mil units

Sept 2012 at 21.9 Mil units

This fiscal year, I have 

Dec 2012 at 50 Mil, but that is just a projected.  It may be more or less.  Now I've read that some are projecting 65 Mil units, so if i put down 65 for Dec 12, and 37 for March, then it sounds like they'll still do more than last year, but not as much as people want/projected.  Obviously, T Mobile will bring new customers.  The thing is that Apple needs to get China Mobile on line which is not giving Apple huge year to year sales increase like some hoped for.

Either way, we have to wait about a week for the final Dec 12 numbers and to find out reality for the March quarter.

• Reply 88 of 97
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,105member

weird. . .

Where's this post??

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

5) Jobs forbade the iPad mini? Where is your proof? There is evidence to suggest it was Jobs idea and the fact that it came out a year after Jobs passed away strongly indicates that it was a working product in their labs while Jobs was alive.

• Reply 89 of 97
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I know Dec 12 will be a record quarter, but from the sounds of it, they are talking about this quarter. 

Let's look at a year ago.

I have in my spreadsheet

Dec 2011 at 37 Mil units.

March 2012 at 35 Mil units.

June 2012 at 26 Mil units

Sept 2012 at 21.9 Mil units

This fiscal year, I have 

Dec 2012 at 50 Mil, but that is just a projected.  It may be more or less.  Now I've read that some are projecting 65 Mil units, so if i put down 65 for Dec 12, and 37 for March, then it sounds like they'll still do more than last year, but not as much as people want/projected.  Obviously, T Mobile will bring new customers.  The thing is that Apple needs to get China Mobile on line which is not giving Apple huge year to year sales increase like some hoped for.

Either way, we have to wait about a week for the final Dec 12 numbers and to find out reality for the March quarter.

Without China Mobile iPhone sales and growth is stagnating. It's not shrinking but there's just not much room to grow.

• Reply 90 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

weird. . .

Where's this post??

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

5) Jobs forbade the iPad mini? Where is your proof? There is evidence to suggest it was Jobs idea and the fact that it came out a year after Jobs passed away strongly indicates that it was a working product in their labs while Jobs was alive.

It was put into the garburator because it just happened to be connected to a piece of rancid food.

• Reply 91 of 97
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    drblank wrote: »

Did Apple say orders were cut in half?  Who were these SOURCES?

I think Cook has more important things to do.
  • Reply 92 of 97
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Without China Mobile iPhone sales and growth is stagnating. It's not shrinking but there's just not much room to grow.

Let's say you're right. Let's take the worst case plausible scenario and say that Apple's profits are flat for the next few years.

So why is the forward P/E below 9 (low 7s after adjusting for cash) when the market as a whole is twice that - and the market as a whole is growing only a couple percent a year?
  • Reply 93 of 97
    Tim Cook is an expert in supply chain management. The launch of the iPhone 5 initiated in September was massive. Over 30 countries in one week and over 100 before Xmas. A significant ramp in production. In fact so huge, that online stock wasn't available until mid-December. If stock was not available online at that point what would the headlines read? Would it be about strong demand or suspected production issues? How long do you maintain that level of ramped production? The answer is until demand slows enough to finally slow down. That time has come. The speculation of low-end iPhones is just that. When they have about half of the US revenue and 70+% of the industry profit why would they go to the low profit end of the spectrum? The ipad 4 launch suggests another strategy. Every product refresh equals a surge in sales. More frequent refreshes should reduce the tendency of a pre-launch lull in sales. With ramp capacity increased, the machinery is now in place for them to enjoy more frequent surges in sales. Retention will be the Android issue. AT&T have already confirmed that Apple retention is incredible. I see it in my family. Loyal Samsung users who gave Apple a try and at this point never plan to return. If iOS was available as open source, Android would be like a floppy disk, a thing of the past. Customer retention and a growing customer base is how Apple grew over the years. Many of the current buyers are existing customers going for a product refresh as their contracts expire. I see that more and more mobile phone providers are adding the iPhone to their wish list. Japan's largest mobile operator is losing subscribers because it isn't on board, yet, but is in the news saying they want a deal. T Mobile are now on board. China Mobile could provide a massive catalyst with about 700 million subscribers. This has nothing to do with China Mobile as they would need a different chipset for their mobile network. The main point is that whenever there is secrecy there will be rumors and speculation. I put this article in that category. The drawdown on other components comment appears unsourced since the stated companies are display suppliers. WSJ carried a Schiller story concerning cheap iPhones that Reuters has now pulled and an updated version puts that scenario in doubt. I wouldn't count on the quarterly report giving much clarity. I expect good numbers but conservative guidance, as usual and cards still close to the vest. Margins should be stable unless there was a massive run on iPads.
  • Reply 94 of 97
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Once again, they are just making this **** up as they go.  The numbers obviously don't add up;  any editor worth his or her salt would have had those "facts", at the very least, independently researched before going to "press" with a story like this.  The real travesty is that anyone pays enough attention to the once-mighty WSJ to quote this tripe.

• Reply 95 of 97

Apple is about to announce the zoomPhone, price of $0 and margin of 100%; it will run WinPhone 8, upgrade to WinPhone 9, and download 'apps' from the Microsoft PlayStore.

Cheers

• Reply 96 of 97

Originally Posted by minicapt View Post

…upgrade to…

And just like that, it's already outperforming every Windows Phone device out there right now.

• Reply 97 of 97

SO I can open my own Home Depot without any ramifications now?