iPhone 5 demand 'robust,' order cuts likely stem from improved yields & supplier shifts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ah so this is why Apple stock is down $10 this morning. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 22 of 89
    65c816 wrote: »
    And so in real life, you'd throw away $500 instead of taking it to Apple for a fix or replacement?  Seriously?

I took it to Apple, they told me it was normal.
  • Reply 23 of 89
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoadm View Post

And you didn't ask to compare with another iphone 5 in the shop, just shake it and see if it rattles?

Or escalate up to a manager?  Or another tech?

• Reply 24 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I was just kidding, but I guess I was right, anyway. AAPL down another couple percent right now.

Totally insane.

The first group yesterday were the hedge funds shorting AAPL. Today it's the smaller investors who had a sleepless night after hearing that Apple was going bankrupt.

• Reply 25 of 89

Quote:

1 intelligent comment and the rest proving my point made in response to greendisease, no doubt more to follow

There was no intellect in your comment, just trolling. Why would we waste our time trying to be articulate with someone who is trying to fabricate things to feel important on a message board?

• Reply 26 of 89

Quote:

It's not the phone I'm questioning...

• Reply 27 of 89
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

I though demand had slowed. Had I held an iPhone 5 before buying one I wouldn't have bought it. They are either badly made or badly designed. They rattle like a toy. I thought I got one that slipped through quality control and took too long to take advantage of my Apple Care and couldn't return it when a "Guinness" told me rattling is "normal". Ended up selling it privately and lost $500 in the process cause I got sick of anyone who was nearby when it rung asking me what's wrong with it. Hope the iPhone 5S?6 is better quality or ill have to decide between windows android or blackberry.

I trust you aren't as stupid as you make yourself sound.

• Reply 28 of 89

anantksundaram said: "Buy. Hold. Put it aside, ignore the noise, and stay focused on the long horizon."

While Apple has made many a people lots of money, I'm not sure a company who's entire value is in selling trendy, expensive and, to some extent superfluous, gadgets to be a sound long horizon bet. I'm not saying investing in Apple is foolish, but no one should do it blindly and without constant monitoring. Many 'a trends have burst in the past and caused investors to loose everything.
  • Reply 29 of 89

geoadm derailed this thread so vociferously. Those troll posts and by virtue the comments to them should be deleted. None of his posts in this thread made any sense.

• Reply 30 of 89
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

The thing that stinks from the supply so call "cuts" is they said they cut from 65 millions screens.   But 65 millions doesnt make any sense at all, they wont even sell that many in the holiday quarter, so ordering this amount in Q1 is pure BS. Even of you cut that in half its still a good number for Q1, especially with some China sales already done in Q4.

Update:

Here are last year numbers for calendar Q1 or fiscal Q2:

Quote:

The Company sold 35.1 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 88 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 11.8 million iPads during the quarter, a 151 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 4 million Macs during the quarter, a 7 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 7.7 million iPods, a 15 percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter.

Its possible that Apple assumed they 5 would sell 2 times more than the 4s and order accordingly.  But seriously even my cat knows they wont even come close. Lets hope Apple gets its wake up call and lignten up that one size phone wont cut it anymore when youre no longer top of the line and are charging a premium.  Android as leap over ios now and some Android phones are more cutting edge than the iphone. Not saying the iphone 5 is bad, but it sure aint the only good phone with a good ecosystem out there.

• Reply 31 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

AAPL 490

Sadly (or gladly, depending on your frame of mind), the Naz is overbought and AAPL is oversold... but if the Naz sells off (following technical trends), it could add more pressure to continue selling AAPL.

• Reply 32 of 89

jragosta said ...since the traders pushing the stock down apparently don't care about logic or reason, anyway.

The traders most certainly do care about logic and reason, they're just playing a different game than the one you think they are. The reality is that they make money on the way up AND on the way down. Famous traders like Jim Cramer have, quite literally, admitted to seeding news organizations with false information to push a stock up or down after they've taken a position either way. The whole stock market has become a stinking cesspool of deceit and manipulation.
  • Reply 33 of 89

Revenge will be sweet when Apple announces results.  Their blow out earning will blow the pants off all the apple-haters and apple shorts

• Reply 34 of 89
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    first of all, did anyone confirm the alleged order of 65MM lcds for the march qtr? keep in mind apple has never sold more than 50MM iphones in any qtr, why would they order so much for a historical low-end qtr (after the holiday qr). It's pure bunk and i hope the analysts get arrested for securities fraud.
  • Reply 35 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

geoadm derailed this thread so vociferously. Those troll posts and by virtue the comments to them should be deleted. None of his posts in this thread made any sense.

Most of this was hashed out yesterday anyway. geoadm just added an outlet for people to vent.

• Reply 36 of 89

Quote:

I though demand had slowed. Had I held an iPhone 5 before buying one I wouldn't have bought it. They are either badly made or badly designed. They rattle like a toy. I thought I got one that slipped through quality control and took too long to take advantage of my Apple Care and couldn't return it when a "Guinness" told me rattling is "normal". Ended up selling it privately and lost $500 in the process cause I got sick of anyone who was nearby when it rung asking me what's wrong with it. Hope the iPhone 5S?6 is better quality or ill have to decide between windows android or blackberry.

My advice: take the Blackberry. I think by now they give you a lolly if you take one for free.

• Reply 37 of 89
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

At this point, I'd suggest wait till after they announce the earnings before trying to buy on 'dips'. Technically AAPL has been doing terrible. 

Well, I just covered my shorts from yesterday! Easy money! image I don't think AAPL is going too far down, but I don't buy yet.

• Reply 38 of 89
    geoadm wrote: »
    It's hasn't expired, but it doesn't extend the 15 day return policy. Yeah iOS autocomplete is usually flawless, not sure what happened
    Autocomplete??? I thought you sold it? Or are you gonna tell us that you also have an iPad, iPod and every other apple product they ever made. Tolling, trolling, trolling. Dumb As. I think it's your head that's rattling.
  • Reply 39 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    65c816 wrote: »
    And so in real life, you'd throw away $500 instead of taking it to Apple for a fix or replacement?  Seriously?

Even if Apple refused to replace it as he claims, there's no reason to take a $500 hit. Heck, even water damaged iPhone 5 units that won't turn on are bringing up to $500 on eBay.

Revenge will be sweet when Apple announces results.  Their blow out earning will blow the pants off all the apple-haters and apple shorts

No, it won't. The shorts and idiot analysts will simply say "sure, they had a good quarter, but that's the last one for a while and their future looks dim" and the stock will decline again.
  • Reply 40 of 89

This stock has been beaten down so hard on just rumours so badly. Apple will announce blow out numbers next week, but whatever they say their forward guidance will be will be fuel for the naysayers to push this stock down to $450. I only wonder at what point will they finally put money back in, change their tune, and have the stock make a run at $800.

On another note, I got a MotoDroidGalaxySMAXXIncredible 9" phone last week, I swear it's made by Mattel or Hasbro. All plastic, wind up crank on the back, etc. The screen kept blinking and when I brought it into the Microsoft SmartGuy, he said it was normal. The blinking is a new feature designed to conserve battery life. No, this doesn't sound ridiculous at all.