iPhone 5 demand 'robust,' order cuts likely stem from improved yields & supplier shifts

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    geoadm wrote: »
    I took it to Apple, they told me it was normal.

Sure you weren't hearing the vibe motor, which does rattle as that is how it should work

That said, they are very clear about the return policy and if you got something that was shitee out of the box and didn't return it during the appropriate time you have only yourself to blame. So can the nonsense that Apple has any guilt in your situation. They don't.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    It don't exactly help with an interpreted claim that Apple is buying loads of faulty stuff, but the newer stuff is more likely to work (yields)
  • Reply 43 of 89
    Perhaps the WSJ needs to go the way of the other Murdock rag. I don't see any difference between the two.
  • Reply 44 of 89
    My advice: take the Blackberry. I think by now they give you a lolly if you take one for free.

lol(ly)
  • Reply 45 of 89
    oops double post
  • Reply 46 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeornottobe View Post

Revenge will be sweet when Apple announces results.  Their blow out earning will blow the pants off all the apple-haters and apple shorts

But then the analysts will say that Apple's guidance for Q2 isn't good enough...

• Reply 47 of 89
    Same bullshit last year . Now it happened again .[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/19118/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 48 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

It is Cramer and other pundits that are talking the stock down. This way they can make a killing by buying low on Apple stock as the stock is propelled upwards by Apple's every enlarging cash hoard and profits.

Happens all the time.

Apple is the most manipulated stock in history.

But all you have to do is to ride it - buy low, sell high.

You are right....

First they over hype Apple to drive it up to a ridiculous level.  Then trash Apple to drive it down to a ridiculous level and make a killing in both directions....

• Reply 49 of 89
    Revenge will be sweet when Apple announces results.  Their blow out earning will blow the pants off all the apple-haters and apple shorts
    Read the post above yours. There are three basic ways to make money on the stock market: Bulls, Bears, and Volatility. The volatility players are neither bulls nor bears, but take advantage in any swings, effectively amplifying them.

I'm torn as to what the stock market should be... if anything. It's a great way to change the value of your net worth... just no telling if it will be up or down.
  • Reply 50 of 89
    It don't exactly help with an interpreted claim that Apple is buying loads of faulty stuff, but the newer stuff is more likely to work (yields)
    Hopefully, the newer items improve margin for Apple. Hopefully, they shed the most expensive supplier as other suppliers have ramped up to meet demand at Apple's target price.
  • Reply 51 of 89
    The stock going down this much is just silly. The only thing you can do that makes sense is to buy more of it. They have so much money it is getting a bit surreal. I don't see how this quarter is not going to be a blowout. All this talk about iPhone 5 overshadows the new iPads and iPods that should have also done very well. I know iPhone 5 is like half their revenue or more, but damn if they didn't sell a ton of everything else to make up any possible gap in iPhone. Off to go see how much free cash I have piled up in my 401K to dump on some more shares. :)
  • Reply 52 of 89
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    I would say investors have listened (far too much historically) to Apple's guidance-- but that Tim Cook hasn't sand-bagged numbers quite as much as Jobs did in the past. But I am not quite sure if anything really matters with regards to Apple's stock now. They did a dividend, they have shown consistent growth, they have 25% "cash" on the balance sheet, they continue to design and sell products that sell in huge numbers...

Quite frankly, the past three months has been depressing as an AAPL stockholder. That, on what will inevitably be their best quarter ever, which has positioned them well for long-term success. I do hope they announce that they completed the $10B buyback, reducing their float by 2%. It is about the only silver lining I can see at this point.

I don't want to bum you out, but I think that buyback was just to avoid dilution from having to issue shares for stock-based compensation. I would like to see them announce a real (big) buyback that would reduce their float.
    fithian wrote: »
    Perhaps the WSJ needs to go the way of the other Murdock rag. I don't see any difference between the two.

It seems to me financial publications should be leading the crusade against bogus stock manipulations stories, rather than promoting them. The perception that stocks in general (and AAPL in particular) are being manipulated by powerful unnamed entities turns off individual investors from wanting to own stocks. One of the first things a person does when they decide that stock market investing is too risky is to cancel their subscriptions to financial publications. Abetting stock manipulation is self-destructive for the WSJ, Reuters, IBD, Barron's, Forbes, etc.
  • Reply 53 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

It is Cramer and other pundits that are talking the stock down ...

The current manipulation attempt, (successful, I would say), in the WSJ by Nomura's Stuart Jeffery is at least consistent with their other attempts at predicting trends. In July of 2011, they were among those predicting that Microsoft 8 would be a 'game changer' in 2013 and that Ice Cream Sandwich would unite all the Android strands and address all the problems that have dogged it, wresting tablet control from Apple. They also predicted that PC makers would be the ones to take control of the tablet market, elbowing out the smartphone makers. ... right ...

Not sure why this person would be cutting iPhone numbers for the quarter, and I trust Apple to keep a watchful eye on profit margin, but no doubt that margin pressure is out there. 

Like all of these firms, Nomura has a bit of a bias and it's all there in their past articles. Just keep it in mind when you read their stuff. 

• Reply 54 of 89

Well I have to say while I didn't expect AAPL to hit 1000.00 this is starting to become upsetting. Not sure about anyone else here but I kind of felt 500.00 was a water mark and if we dropped below that the situation could very well get even worse. Hope I am wrong.

• Reply 55 of 89
    My daddy told me, when I told him I was thinking of investing... to look for a company that was well-respected by current users, offered a quality product that was well-made, beautifully designed and useful, that kept innovating and improving, offered a dividend, had cash in the bank, a good sales platform, advertised smartly, offered top-notch customer support, was global in its distribution and admiration, and had brand loyalty of its customers.

The only company I could think of: Apple
  • Reply 56 of 89

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well I have to say while I didn't expect AAPL to hit 1000.00 this is starting to become upsetting. Not sure about anyone else here but I kind of felt 500.00 was a water mark and if we dropped below that the situation could very well get even worse. Hope I am wrong.

$130,000,000,000. Cash.

They're fine. They have more physical money in their coffers than some countries, namely the one in which they're based.

• Reply 57 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    $130,000,000,000. Cash.

That's no longer true. They've converted much of their cash to longer term investments. IIRC, they're at $30-40 B in cash and about $90 B in long term investments.
  • Reply 58 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

$130,000,000,000. Cash.

They're fine. They have more physical money in their coffers than some countries, namely the one in which they're based.

Apple is *obviously* fine, and is quite possibly in store for a massive quarter, but there aint no cure for stupid:

http://www.neowin.net/news/get-out-the-bandages-apples-stock-is-bleeding-value

• Reply 59 of 89

Quote:

As for Apple's recently concluded December quarter, Wu expects iPhone sales and gross margins will likely surprise investors to the upside. His forecast calls for sales of 47.5 million iPhones, above market consensus of 46 million to 47 million, with gross margin of 38.7 percent, versus expectations of 38.3 percent.

This is horse crap. This is Wall Street `revising and revising' their numbers because lets face it, each time they pick a target Apple blows right passed it. This consensus being tossed around is a series of revised consensus to drive sales to absurd levels and thus force the price down because not even Apple can surpass those levels.

Wall Street does not like one company dominating any of their indices. They rode that wave with Microsoft and still keep beating that dead horse. And yes, Cramer is a joke. This is the same former Hedge Funder owner who talked about jumping on Apple at $50 when the guy talked smack about Apple for several years before the rest of the industry forced him to call it the darling of the tech world. Then suddenly he's always been in on Apple. Hell, two weeks ago he was all in and suddenly in an orchestrated effort he's now on the air talk about how unattractive its been for some time. My rear end.

This is nothing more than a legalized fraud con system.

• Reply 60 of 89

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's no longer true. They've converted much of their cash to longer term investments. IIRC, they're at $30-40 B in cash and about $90 B in long term investments.

So when was it that Apple got rid of ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS that we didn't have an article about it?