Facebook to take on Google with personalized 'Graph Search'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    scott6666 wrote: »
    When will Zuckerberg realize that most of my family and friends have very different tastes than I do?

My brother's CD collection has nothing I want in it.

My college friends have gone on to like a lot of crazy stuff.

My wife's friends have nothing that I like in common except my wife.

The social graph is 90% crap.

Then don't use it. Problem solved.

No one is forcing you to use it.
  • Reply 22 of 36

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

1 Billion people can't be wrong.

Sure they can. Ever heard of [insert religion/political bent/economic policy/operating system here]? image

• Reply 23 of 36
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I gave Duck-Duck-Go a try just now. It's now my default search engine so thanks for that. So far the searches are just as good but the peace of mind knowing Google is not tracking everything I do is the best part. I'll try it for a few weeks before I fully commit.

They are still tracking everything you do, just maybe not your searches. (It would be ironic if Duck-Duck-Go used Google Analytics.) But, most of the sites the results point to will be reporting back to Google that you came there.

• Reply 24 of 36

Facebook is just amazing (currently the only amazing company that i know that is doing great things (besides apple) is dropbox). Can't wait :)

• Reply 25 of 36
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure they can. Ever heard of [insert religion/political bent/economic policy/operating system here]? image

Yes, and it wouldn't be the first time.

• Reply 26 of 36
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

1 Billion people can't be wrong.

73% of iOS-6 users can't be wrong by NOT turning on Facebook integration:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/04/how-many-mobile-users-does-facebook-have/

"only 27.5 percent of devices have turned on Facebook’s iOS 6 integration"

• Reply 27 of 36
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Google is hard to avoid, but not impossible. It's not like they force you to create a Google+ account just to do a search.

I now search using Duck-Duck-Go and use Bing for mapping. I'm finding search results aren't as good, but the order appears to be actual relevancy and not who is paying to be at the top of the list. There aren't any explicitly "sponsored" results either. Bing's bird's eye view is much better than Google's standard overhead imaging.

I use to dislike Bing, but it has come a long way. I now prefer it for most things. Further, I get points. Microsoft has bought me a dozen Starbuck's Lattes. I also like the daily picture with trivia, and how the picture sometimes is an animation. Google also borrowed the format of Bing's image search. Duck Duck Go is decent for plain search, but it is not integrated into products like my iPhone. I do use Google on the iPhone occasionally because the new voice feature is top notch, but I hate doing it. 

• Reply 28 of 36
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

They are still tracking everything you do, just maybe not your searches. (It would be ironic if Duck-Duck-Go used Google Analytics.) But, most of the sites the results point to will be reporting back to Google that you came there.

Maybe, but by using Little Snitch, disabling cookies, and opting out of tracking you can keep most information away from Google. 

• Reply 29 of 36
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott6666 View Post

When will Zuckerberg realize that most of my family and friends have very different tastes than I do?

My brother's CD collection has nothing I want in it.

My college friends have gone on to like a lot of crazy stuff.

My wife's friends have nothing that I like in common except my wife.

The social graph is 90% crap.

Agreed.  And the reason Graph Search is shit and will continue to be shit is that it doesn't have any click throughs.  The way you make search good is by having 100,000 people click through the wrong links so that you can quickly figure out what people are looking for (and serve up the right links to another billion people).  Facebook is a bunch of dumb shits.  After 10 years of Googling, they don't even understand what makes Google successful. 

Every time these monkeys come out with something I just roll my eyes.  They are true idiots.  They best they will ever do is Farmville.

• Reply 30 of 36
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Facebook has no clue what will make money.  They should have been touting the "Nearby" feature that came out a month ago.  At least that app has the potential to serve up ads that are relevant to commerce.  Someone searching for pictures of their dog isn't going to produce click-throughs on advertising.  The decisions coming from FB remind me of Steve Ballmer. They just don't make sense. 

• Reply 31 of 36
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    This new feature, like so many things, smacks of "just because you can doesn't mean you should".
    These guys seem to be playing around introducing stuff - seeing how the market responds and then making a decision on continued support.

I don't know about the benefits of FB - don't have an account - never used it. Don't have time for it.

Photos I have liked - lol, jeez fer chrissakes. That just reeks of lamo
  • Reply 32 of 36
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    Remember when Apple tried to beat Google at maps..
  • Reply 33 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Along with their new "graph search" it's being reported that Facebook has changed their privacy policies once again. Up until last month you could choose to keep your Facebook profile out-of-sight except for your "friends".  You had the option to only be seen by those you invited. Not any longer. 

http://qz.com/44261/ahead-of-graph-search-launch-facebook-removed-the-ability-to-opt-out-of-search-results/

• Reply 34 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Ooh, that's an informative post, thanks!
  • Reply 35 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

There's suddenly a few different articles about it that's cropped up in the last few hours. There's a "creep factor" in their new graph search that some Facebook users who still tried to keep some modicum of profile privacy need to be aware of.

http://www.stateofsearch.com/search-graph-privacy/

• Reply 36 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    There's suddenly a few different articles about it that's cropped up in the last few hours. There's a "creep factor" in their new graph search that some Facebook users who still tried to keep some modicum of profile privacy need to be aware of.

http://www.stateofsearch.com/search-graph-privacy/

So, no Opt-Out of FB search once this Graph thing launches. I don't use FB, but some will find this new privacy setting, or lack thereof, well, disturbing, unwanted.