Apple's next 9.7" iPad to be 'significantly lighter and slimmer'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

So many rumours this week...

I'd rather they kept the size and added a bigger battery to be honest. 20hour battery life would do me just fine. I'm looking to get a new iPad this year as I'm still rocking Generation 1.

But if the iPad mini goes retina then that's a sure fire buy.

Well, I've never had any complaint about the battery life of my Gen3 iPad. Sure 20 hours would be "better" on paper but if the battery life of the current iPad is sufficient for 99% of the people who use it, then why increase the weight? Is it really all that inconvenient to plug in an iPad to charge overnight if you're using it the whole day? If you only use it for a few hours a day then it could probably last you a 4-5 days before needing to be charged (similar to my wife's usage on her iPad 2). I don't want a heavier iPad because I wouldn't benefit from the additional battery life, as I suspect the vast majority of people wouldn't either.

• Reply 42 of 76
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Yes the iPhone 5 is outselling the Galaxy S III but lets compare the numbers for a bit. lets compare the sells of the iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S (and it varients) then lets compare the sells of the iPhone 4s and the Galaxy S II. You will see the as both phones increase in the amount of units sold...The gap is getting smaller.

would you like to post those numbers or a link?

What i'd like to see, it sales of all models by year.

• Reply 43 of 76
    If some of these rumors are true, I think an ipad mini with a retina display would be a great idea. Also a lighter and thinner ipad would be awesome, the only issue ive ever had with the ipad is the weight while everything else is perfect. Ive never had any issues with battery life but obviously with a thinner profile it would more difficult to implement a higher capacity battery but who knows. Also a Fall release seems more reasonable for a completely different form factor in the ipad 5.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    He needs to add the Mac Pro in Q4.
  • Reply 45 of 76

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

If we're left waiting until Q4, he may as well leave it off.

• Reply 46 of 76
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

Hey, where's the Mac Pro they were promising?

It's exactly where Apple says it is.

Oh wait, Apple never said anything.  Oh wait, Apple never said anything about their next lighter and slimmer iPad.

Oh wait, it's all second-hand rumors from folks gossiping in the restroom.  Right.

So who at Apple did you say promised the Mac Pro??

• Reply 47 of 76
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Apple's policy of simply faster thinner may not prove profitable forever. They need to innovate, as Microsoft have done so well with the Surface tablets. Else, the iPad value prop is going to fade. Exhibit A: Sales of iPhone 5 - VS - Galaxy S3.

Nobody *needs* to innovate. It's a choice. As for the Surface, what exactly is the innovation? If non-Apple tablets catch on (which they are starting to, despite denials here), it's not necessarily because iPad's value prop is fading but could be because other tablets are improving in their value prop. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Yeah, Apple's unhealthy obsession with thin needs to go away. I'm sorry, I'd like a longer battery life and an easily removable battery MUCH more than I'd like a thinner device.

Then buy a thicker tablet. Apple doesn't have an obsession with thinness. When iPad3 came out with Retina Display, it was thicker out of necessity and Apple did't hesitate. Their preference (not need) for a thinner design where possible has to do with adherence to a specific design ethos. If you don't like it, just shop elsewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Actually, now that I think about it, Apple's PowerBook G3 series was the PERFECT form factor. Pop-out battery, media bay that could hold a second battery, lift the keyboard for hard drive access, ports on the BACK, not the side, and covered. Make it a fast core i7, put in a retina display, full complement of modern ports (2 thunderbolt, 2 firewire, 3-4 USB, HDMI, ethernet, expresscard 54) and a bigger trackpad (but keep the real button, it was better), and you'd have the perfect portable Mac. Sure, it's thick, but it's comfortably curved, no sharp edge at the front like today's machines.

Curves are no good because, when you are using a MacBook, one of you needs to have a sharp edge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Yes the iPhone 5 is outselling the Galaxy S III but lets compare the numbers for a bit. lets compare the sells of the iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S (and it varients) then lets compare the sells of the iPhone 4s and the Galaxy S II. You will see the as both phones increase in the amount of units sold...The gap is getting smaller.

Indeed. Regardless of which company or phone one prefers, facing reality is important. Today, reality is that Samsung has marketed the heck of Galaxy S and their efforts are paying off. Furthermore, choice is good. There are many people who do prefer the Galaxy (or other Androids) and not necessarily because of price. There is nothing wrong with that, particularly since Apple continues to do well. Denial is futile. 

• Reply 48 of 76
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

The new Mac Pro is ready but Apple is struggling with production yield. They haven't been able to mass produce the first one yet.

• Reply 49 of 76

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So who at Apple did you say promised the Mac Pro??

Tim Cook, who specifically said there would be an update this year.

• Reply 50 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Is this serious. WTF? Yes and next year computers will be more powerful and faster.

You will never make it as an analyst, as you forgot thinner. : ) 

• Reply 51 of 76
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CentralParkMac View Post

Agreed. I expect we'll see an improved mini with retina display and a drop in the price of the existing mini. No more, no less.

Were they to shift (as has been speculated) to IGZO there'd be an upping of battery life without a change in that spec so "retina" wouldn't come at either a weight or battery life penalty.

(Come to think on it hasn't Apple been reported to have injected money into Sharp? They're the ones with the IGZO panels)

• Reply 52 of 76
    paxman wrote: »
    odditie wrote: »
    Dang, looks like my prediction of a heavier, thicker fifth generation iPad is going to turn out wrong.

I'm still holding out hope my prediction of a worse screen resolution on the iPad Mini is correct.
    I'm with you on that one. And a worse resolution pretty much guarantees a slight weight increase and shorter battery life. 

The Palo Alto Postulate*:

The customer will pay more for less of worse...

The California Corollary*:

...because worse is bad, the customer wants less of it, and is willing to pay more to get what he wants!

*First presented in 1973, in the IBM Cafeteria (while waiting in line for the morning coffee fix) at 1501 California Ave, Palo Alto, CA.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    "Apple's next iPad to be lighter and slimmer"

BREAKING NEWS!

Stop the press! No doubt a contender for the scoop of the century!
  • Reply 54 of 76
    I don't see a redesigned MBP retina this soon.

SSD prices are plunging (1 TB SSDs at 500 $ are already announced) and, thus, it should alleviate the #1 critic about MBPr : their price and lack of decent HD space. If Apple align the price of the 768 GB option with the market, we should see MBPr prices in the same league than former Unibody models. And they shoudl be able to offer a 1 TB option.
    Memory is dirt cheap atm and Apple should offer 16 GB option as a decent price and, from then on, nobody would be concerned about the ram modules being soldered on the mother board%u2026

Rest of the design is ok and I don't hear any complaints about noise, cooling or quality of the case. So, why a redesign?

The only thing I expect is the classic MBP model being phased out%u2026

Also, I expect a new iPhone (mini/cheaper or normal) earlier than Q3%u2026 The iPhone 5 is already under much pressure by Samsung galaxies models and is still lacking 4G LTE compatibility with some countries network (France%u2026) and neither does work with China mobile's network. A more universal iPhone is needed, and soon. Be it the cheaper model (with a plastic back) or the top of the line with a A7 CPU%u2026
  • Reply 55 of 76
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

Hey, where's the Mac Pro they were promising?

Jeeze, it was promised "next year" in 2012, and we are only 2 1/2 weeks into 2013...

• Reply 56 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And why are both front and back of the iPhone 5 chamfered while iPod touch is only chamfered on the front?  Because of the glass panels in the back of the iPhone 5.  Far easier to simply inset them flush, the way the front screen is inset. So it makes sense to put the same chamfering on the back.

What glass panels in the back of the iPhone 5?  It is metal all around except the front display panel.  And yes, I have one in front of me.

• Reply 57 of 76

Quote:

One comment mentioned that the new Xeon chips are not due until Q3...

• Reply 58 of 76

I don't see Apple go to a 2x a year schedule on the iPad.  The 4th gen iPad was an anomaly to get an iPad out there with Lightning connectors.   A one year schedule allows Apple to improve yields and margins and get their money's worth out of the previous years design.  And it provides predictability to the market which keeps the customer buying, instead of waiting.

• Reply 59 of 76
    stephane36 wrote: »
    I don't see a redesigned MBP retina this soon.

SSD prices are plunging (1 TB SSDs at 500 $ are already announced) and, thus, it should alleviate the #1 critic about MBPr : their price and lack of decent HD space. If Apple align the price of the 768 GB option with the market, we should see MBPr prices in the same league than former Unibody models. And they shoudl be able to offer a 1 TB option.
    Memory is dirt cheap atm and Apple should offer 16 GB option as a decent price and, from then on, nobody would be concerned about the ram modules being soldered on the mother board%u2026

Rest of the design is ok and I don't hear any complaints about noise, cooling or quality of the case. So, why a redesign?

The only thing I expect is the classic MBP model being phased out%u2026

Also, I expect a new iPhone (mini/cheaper or normal) earlier than Q3%u2026 The iPhone 5 is already under much pressure by Samsung galaxies models and is still lacking 4G LTE compatibility with some countries network (France%u2026) and neither does work with China mobile's network. A more universal iPhone is needed, and soon. Be it the cheaper model (with a plastic back) or the top of the line with a A7 CPU%u2026

The Armonk Assertion: *

"It takes 12 months to do nothing."

The Des Plaines Dichotomy: *

"Expediting takes a little longer."

* 1971 study of the IBM product release cycle
  • Reply 60 of 76
    chadbag wrote: »
    I don't see Apple go to a 2x a year schedule on the iPad.  The 4th gen iPad was an anomaly to get an iPad out there with Lightning connectors.   A one year schedule allows Apple to improve yields and margins and get their money's worth out of the previous years design.  And it provides predictability to the market which keeps the customer buying, instead of waiting.

No, the iPad 4 was released to get the A6X out there -- the iPad 3 is underpowered for a retina display of that size.