I know im an idiot..don't shout!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Am I the only one driven mad trying to download Apples enormous (83Mb) software updates from their site?

I can't update to 9.2.2 I can't update X with their 'combo' download (I can't even get iPhoto).

My connection seems fine whilst im sat clicking as soon as I leave it to download chunks it interupts and stops it.

(Yes I am on AOL. Yes I know thats wrong but I dont have access to a BT line have several machines in seperate rooms and cant afford cable broadband plus the cost of an airport and three cards)

Does anyone know of a way to make aol/apple behave?

Thanks (please be gentle technical knowledge limited)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aeneas:

<strong>Am I the only one driven mad trying to download Apples enormous (83Mb) software updates from their site?

I can't update to 9.2.2 I can't update X with their 'combo' download (I can't even get iPhoto).

My connection seems fine whilst im sat clicking as soon as I leave it to download chunks it interupts and stops it.

(Yes I am on AOL. Yes I know thats wrong but I dont have access to a BT line have several machines in seperate rooms and cant afford cable broadband plus the cost of an airport and three cards)

Thanks (please be gentle technical knowledge limited) </strong><hr></blockquote>

Need more details. What kind of a connection are you on? How are you connecting? If you're using airport, make sure you have all the latest updates (2.0.2 is the latest version). But you should provide as many details as possible, (even ones that you think aren't relevant) so that you can get the most help.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

Need more details. What kind of a connection are you on? How are you connecting? If you're using airport, make sure you have all the latest updates (2.0.2 is the latest version). But you should provide as many details as possible, (even ones that you think aren't relevant) so that you can get the most help.</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Im using a dial up connection to AOL via an Apple internal 56k modem on a standard NTL telephone line. I'm not using an airport that was an idea to get round my problems that worked out way too expensive. Im using AOL's built in browser, have tried, when logged on, to use Explorer and hiding AOL in the finder (as advised by Apple) but this made no difference.

PS. I'm using OS9.2 (Have OSX but can't connect at all with that)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member

<strong>Am I the only one driven mad trying to download Apples enormous (83Mb) software updates from their site?

Thanks (please be gentle technical knowledge limited) </strong><hr></blockquote>

OS updates used to be available as segments but I can't find the newer ones that way.

Are you using Software update or are you downloading from the website?

9.2.2 is here US:

<a href="http://downloAd.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_9.2.2_Update/Single-File/Mac_OS_9.2.2_Update.smi.bin"; target="_blank">http://downloAd.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_9.2.2_Update/Single-File/Mac_OS_9.2.2_Update.smi.bin</a>;

and here (International English):

<a href="http://downloAd.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-International/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_9.2.2_Update/Single-File/Mac_OS_9.2.2_Update.smi.bin"; target="_blank">http://downloAd.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-International/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_9.2.2_Update/Single-File/Mac_OS_9.2.2_Update.smi.bin</a>;

around 22MB.

10.1.3 is here:

<a href="http://download.info.apple.com/Mac_OS_X/062-9448.20020218/MacOSXUpdateCombo10.1.3.dmg.bin"; target="_blank">http://download.info.apple.com/Mac_OS_X/062-9448.20020218/MacOSXUpdateCombo10.1.3.dmg.bin</a>;

38MB

this looks like a dynamic URL so it may not work for you tho...

hope this helps.

Don't you have any mac loving friends with broadband and a CD burner?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    aeneasaeneas Posts: 9member
    Thanks.. unfortunatly friends in general are in short supply... mac lovers with burners are like unicorns.

I've found a multi part download of OS 9.2.1 (which I think I need before I update with 9.2.2) but even the 13 Mb segments are too big to work.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I have AOL also. I've heard that you should use internet explorer while on AOL because AOL itself has a download limit. Just open internet explorer before going to the software updater and see what happens........................................... ...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Many Apple serivce centers can burn you a CD of these updates for service fee. Naturally you'd have to, 1) have a service center nearby and, 2) be willing to pay the fee.

Maybe find someone on the board who is also in England and see if you can get them to mail you a CD (offer to pay for shipping). I'd offer myself since I already have all those downloads on CD but I kinda live on a different continent than you do
  • Reply 9 of 10
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Do you know anyone who works in an office with a t-1 line and a cd burner? That's how I work it. I have dial-up at home, and apple updates take forever on it. I have one of my co-workers (one of the lucky bastards who have new towers burn me updates to take home.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    zozo Posts: 3,117member

<strong>Thanks.. unfortunatly friends in general are in short supply... mac lovers with burners are like unicorns.

I've found a multi part download of OS 9.2.1 (which I think I need before I update with 9.2.2) but even the 13 Mb segments are too big to work.</strong><hr></blockquote>

you can download the updates on a pc and burn them on a standard CD (iso9660), Just leave them as .bin files. Then when on a Mac, use Stuffit Expander, etc voila. I've done it many times and works without a hitch.