Google's Nexus 7 outsells Apple's iPad in Japan over holidays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by EggSpectre View Post

Although it's good to love a company, Apple, but Apple fans should worry about this trend. It happened before even in Apple's history and in many other sector of industry.

Just praising Apple blindly doesn't help anything.

Wait until we find out if this report is bullshit or not and then we can talk about trends.

We should find out quite a bit in less than a weeks time.

• Reply 22 of 155
    It's good that the financially handicapped have an opportunity to buy tablets on the cheap. Hey, not everyone can afford a Mercedes-Benz. Some will just have to settle for Toyotas. The Nexus 7 is the is like the Toyota of tablets. Just as Toyota is not putting Mercedes-Benz out of the auto business, neither will ASUS put Apple out of the tablet business. It's different strokes for different folks.

Windows PCs outsell Macs. They certainly do. However, the Windows PC business is in a huge slump and most of the companies selling them are losing money. So, let them sell cheap Windows PCs at razor-thin margins. There are plenty of consumers out there who can't afford better. But even as cheap as these Windows computers are, consumers are still hesitant about purchasing them. Apple makes good profits selling their computers and Apple has increased sales over the past year while most companies selling Windows PCs are not doing financially well at all.
  • Reply 23 of 155
    eggspectre wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what company makes more money.

If this trend keeps going, Apple will lose someday. You can see those in smart phone market already. I think it's actually late for Apple to change their tactic to persuade more people to Apple's devices.
    I like Apple's. However, people should not close their eyes to the real world. Not so many people can see the considerate behavior of Apple's UI and underlying systems.

Also, some companies with lots of cash intentionally throws their devices to the market without virtually any profit. by distributing that way, once they become dominant in market share, S/W companies, H/W accessory companies will start to make products for those devices. Then, the company's influence becomes huge and they can make money due to that.

Although it's good to love a company, Apple, but Apple fans should worry about this trend. It happened before even in Apple's history and in many other sector of industry.
    Just praising Apple blindly doesn't help anything.

Define "lose"

Android already dominates the smartphone market with 75% market share to Apple's 15%

But I have yet to see the result of Android having all that market share... other than simply being able to say they have the most market share.

Apple... a distant 2nd place with only 15% market share... has already captured the eyes of the developers and the accessory makers. Market share alone won't make developers rush over to Android... and you can count on one hand the number of speaker docks or alarm clocks available for MicroUSB Android devices.

Oh there are a few speaker docks for Android... but the USB plug is only used for power. You still have to use an AUX cable or Bluetooth for audio.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the accessory makers still favor Apple products... despite Android having 5 times more market share. Again... market share alone doesn't attract 3rd parties.

As for Apple... they don't need market share to stay in business. They are making more money with only 15% than the rest of the industry combined.

But they certainly need a market. And as long as Apple is selling millions and millions of products... I think they've got a market.

So... more money, more accessories, more developers... all from a company who is NOT in the dominant position. That kinda disproves the market share myth, huh.

• Reply 24 of 155
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It's good that the financially handicapped have an opportunity to buy tablets on the cheap.

Rolls Royce had record sales in 2012.

How many cars did they sell? 3,575 

Some people claim that Apple needs to be selling to the financially handicapped, and basically the entire third world market including every poor person on the planet, but I've yet to hear a single good argument as to why this would be a good idea.

Essentially Apple is doomed, unless people in mud huts can afford iPads, based on the demented and faulty reasoning of certain people.

• Reply 25 of 155
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Looks promising for Google if those figures are accurate. Does Google actually make a profit on a Nexus 7 sale?

I will say that in the article's picture tategaki may be a better read on a 16:9 display than on a 4:3 display. Any Japanese readers (or those that read other vertical languages) want to comment?

You didn't read the article carefully.  Apple didn't start selling the iPad mini until November, and when it did Nexus 7 started to fall.  I don't know if they sold the cellular versions at the same time, I think those got a late start, so I wouldn't be too worried, plus when Nexus 7 users start to realize that there aren't many apps, or even very many good ones, they'll switch.

Plus, Google doesn't make much money off of these Nexus 7 tablets.  So they are just trying to "buy" market share. Typical of desperate companies that don't know what they are doing.

• Reply 26 of 155
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Who made more money?

Which tablets are being used and generate more internet traffic?

Apple and, um, Apple.

'Nuff said.

• Reply 27 of 155
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Here's a breaking story that AI should write about, and it's about damn time that somebody is at least looking into all of the scummy analysts and other potential criminals who have been spreading FUD about Apple. 

US SEC examining whether Apple supply chain leaks constitute insider trading

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/information-technology/053682-us-sec-examining-whether-supply-chain-information-constitutes-insider-trading.html

• Reply 28 of 155
    I seriously doubt Apple would give them numbers for sales at either their retail stores or online, so if these numbers are based on surveys it only accounts for non-Apple brick and mortar sales. What percentage of sales does Apple make either online or by its own physical stores in Japan?
  • Reply 29 of 155
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    What the article failed to report is that the sales spike was due to a "Buy 1, Get 2 Free" sale. ;-)
  • Reply 30 of 155

Sure would explain Google's P/E jumping to nearly double what is was 6 months prior: They are attempting to garner mindshare by deep cost absorption.

This isn't software, Google. Good luck with that one.

• Reply 31 of 155
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    galley wrote: »
    What the article failed to report is that the sales spike was due to a "Buy 1, Get 2 Free" sale. ;-)

Flooding the market, you mean?
  • Reply 32 of 155
    We have an iPad and an iPad mini and several Mini iPad Minis (aka iPod Touch). Oh, and two Apple laptops. So Apple are very pleased with us I'm sure. But my wife got a Nexus 7 recently simply because of the price difference in comparison to the iPad mini. She uses it primarily for eBooks, it's also somewhat easier to hold than the iPad mini. I also have an Engineer colleague who bought it primarily for viewing PDFs - again because of the price differential. He too has iPhones, iPod Touches, iPads and an iMac in the family.
  • Reply 33 of 155
    The Source, BCN Japan, is infamous of making "Placement marketing".

They has reported that Acer Iconia outsells Apple's iPad in Japan before...

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/wapa/20110812/p1

ICONIA TAB%u304CiPad2%u3092%u5727%u5012%uFF1F%uFF01%uFF5EBCN%u30E9%u30F3%u30AD%u30F3%u30B0%u3092%u5229%u7528%u3057%u305F%u63D0%u706F%u8A18%u4E8B

ICONIA TAB will overwhelm the iPad2? ! Lantern article using the ~ BCN ranking

• Reply 34 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Who made more money?

Which tablets are being used and generate more internet traffic?

I don't know, but I have a Nexus and it's a great tablet, which a much more pleasant screen than iPad Mini.

Only my opinion though, but I believe people would be wise to test both before they buy any...

At least here in Europe, you can return a tablet during the first week of ownership if you find out you like the competition better.

That said, I'm hoping withbaited breath for a Retina Mini.

Edit: it seems that this report is BS. If so, Ai might be wanting to check stories before repeating them. It's called "journalism".

• Reply 35 of 155
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    this report - and the AI headline - is horseshit.

because of course Apple does not respond to any surveys like this regarding its own direct Apple on-line and retail store sales in Japan or anywhere else. and those sales amounts are certainly very substantial, yet omitted from this report. at most (if accurate) this survey is tracking sales only at independent retailers.

i am rapidly losing respect for Apple Insider. it's "staff" should certainly be able to spot this flaw instantly. rather than just regurgitating the stupid CNET post that regurgitated the original careless Nikkei story, AI should have noted this key limitation and qualified the headline.

is AI turning into just another hit-whoring web dump?
  • Reply 36 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

We have an iPad and an iPad mini and several Mini iPad Minis (aka iPod Touch). Oh, and two Apple laptops. So Apple are very pleased with us I'm sure. But my wife got a Nexus 7 recently simply because of the price difference in comparison to the iPad mini. She uses it primarily for eBooks, it's also somewhat easier to hold than the iPad mini. I also have an Engineer colleague who bought it primarily for viewing PDFs - again because of the price differential. He too has iPhones, iPod Touches, iPads and an iMac in the family.

Can't say I have any Touch, but I do have a nice lineup of Apple hardware. However, Tallest Skil did make a thread about trolls and it seems that starting an argument (or finishing it) with "I own Apple hardware" automatically makes you a troll.

Then again, this is AppleInsider. Any comment not in favor of Apple (and particularly, any comment saying a Google product could maybe be better than an Apple equivalent) is automatically trolling. Different definition from the rest of the Internet.

You have been warned.

• Reply 37 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It's good that the financially handicapped have an opportunity to buy tablets on the cheap. Hey, not everyone can afford a Mercedes-Benz. Some will just have to settle for Toyotas. The Nexus 7 is the is like the Toyota of tablets. Just as Toyota is not putting Mercedes-Benz out of the auto business, neither will ASUS put Apple out of the tablet business. It's different strokes for different folks.

Windows PCs outsell Macs. They certainly do. However, the Windows PC business is in a huge slump and most of the companies selling them are losing money. So, let them sell cheap Windows PCs at razor-thin margins. There are plenty of consumers out there who can't afford better. But even as cheap as these Windows computers are, consumers are still hesitant about purchasing them. Apple makes good profits selling their computers and Apple has increased sales over the past year while most companies selling Windows PCs are not doing financially well at all.

As I said just a post earlier, I believe Nexus to be superior to iPad Mini. It's my opinion, and you're not obliged to share it. However, please avoid insulting me with "financially handicaped" or that kind of car comparison. Mercedes/Audi is OK; Mercedes/Toyota is not OK.

Also, be aware that Apple doesn't actually need you defending them on some Internet forum. Everyone knows they make amazing products. And unless you work for them, in which case you probably should disclose it when making that kind of car comparison, you probably have no entitlement to feeling proud for their results, since you did not help, and insulting people with other opinions doesn't either.

Just my opinion, obviously.

• Reply 38 of 155
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm struggling to understand why AI would report something like this when the data is clearly questionable. I can understand anti-Apple sites like c|net doing it as its good click bait for them. But AI shiould know better. :no:
  • Reply 39 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Rolls Royce had record sales in 2012.

How many cars did they sell? 3,575 

Some people claim that Apple needs to be selling to the financially handicapped, and basically the entire third world market including every poor person on the planet, but I've yet to hear a single good argument as to why this would be a good idea.

Essentially Apple is doomed, unless people in mud huts can afford iPads, based on the demented and faulty reasoning of certain people.

Rolls-Royce is a german company making german cars. Of course, you'll tell me that Lamborghini is a german company too, but they still make Italian cars and that shows. That just to say, I hate the current Rolls-Royce lineup, it looks like some ugly sort of fat Mercedes cars.

I however agree with your base reasoning, Apple should cater to their customers, which are the top of the consumer triangle, the "(comparatively) few with lots of money". I don't mean "bring the iPhone to 3000$ a piece", but "keep the production standards high".

Which is why the Nexus is currently a better tablet than the iPad Mini, and why iPad Mini Retina will be a better tablet than iPad Mini and Nexus.

• Reply 40 of 155
    I was under the impression Nexus 7 was not sold in stores. Also, it's hard to tell, but the word estimated showed up a few times in this document. Funny how estimates become fact so quickly. thats worth a 'Hmmmmmm'...