Apple's latest OS X 10.8.3 beta provided to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A seventh beta of OS X 10.8.3, Apple's forthcoming maintenance and security update for the Mountain Lion operating system, was supplied to developers on Wednesday.

Beta

People familiar with the latest pre-release software said it is identified as build "12D54." Any changes that may have been made to the software from its previous release are unknown.

Its release comes just over a week after Apple provided the last beta of Mountain Lion. That test software contained only minor changes from the previous build.

In earlier builds, developers have been asked to focus their testing on AirPlay, AirPort, Game Center, Graphics Drivers, and Safari.

Apple's latest betas have touted a new "OS X Software Update Seed Configuration Utility" that retrieves new seeds through Software Update. When new builds are provided, Apple sends out notifications to install the update via the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30

Well, Mountain Lion is fast and realiable, the best OS out there, obviously.

However, random WIFI drops, shutdown times and memory leaks must be resolved. And the OS can still be faster, "lighter".

Can't wait for this update :) they are taking their time for sure.

• Reply 2 of 30
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

7 betas? Good lord, 10.8.4 will be ready by the time they release this thing.

• Reply 3 of 30
    And it killed my MBP battery.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Hopefully Apple will fix the issue with mdworker. I posted the Console error messages I've been noticing to Macintouch, and a knowledgable reader responded: "I submitted a bug report to Apple on it. Apple responded it was a knowm bug. Has been happening on 10.8.2. In short, mdworker scans and indexes files for Spotlight and sends a message to lsboxd, but the new security measure does not like a program going outside its sandbox and thus denies it. Several posts on Apple forums have covered this issue."
  • Reply 5 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Well, Mountain Lion is fast and realiable, the best OS out there, obviously.

However, random WIFI drops, shutdown times and memory leaks must be resolved. And the OS can still be faster, "lighter".

Can't wait for this update :) they are taking their time for sure.

Not that I doubt that you're experiencing that personally, but I have four different Macs at home (an iMac, a 11" MacBook Air, and two MacBook Pro's) and haven't experienced any of those symptoms on any of them.

Just sayin'... maybe there's an issue with your computer, specifically?

-Rick

• Reply 6 of 30
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    Hope my webcam comes back...
  • Reply 7 of 30

My iMac Wifi drop occurred several times a day bcoz of logmein after mountain lion. Without Logmein, wifi drops once in a while. I think you need to check some softwares which intensively uses network resources.

• Reply 8 of 30

They need to correct the changes they made to reminders, and most of all to Safari's activity monitor. UPGRADE means to improve..... not castrate. :(

I'm sorry, but older versions of OS X seemed much better than this current catastrophe.

Please no flames. Just being honest.

• Reply 9 of 30

Very close.  Mid 50's or low 60's are the usual public release builds.  

• Reply 10 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

Not that I doubt that you're experiencing that personally, but I have four different Macs at home (an iMac, a 11" MacBook Air, and two MacBook Pro's) and haven't experienced any of those symptoms on any of them.

Just sayin'... maybe there's an issue with your computer, specifically?

-Rick

No, it happens to a lot of mac users. Lots of people talking about it. Usually my air shuts down in 2 seconds (max) but with mountain lion, it takes up to 10 seconds. It's a huge difference on a machines like the air, that boots up in less than that. It looks like people with SSDs are the ones that notice this... Windows 7 takes 2 to 3 seconds to shut down, for example.

Obviously OSX is so superior and beautiful that i don't mind it, but it should be fixed.

The WIFI problem is very widespread. I have my mac with WIFI turned on 24/7, and it drops more or less 5 times per day and sometimes it takes up to 3 minutes to connect again, even when deactivated and activated. This never happened before. Lots of threads about this subject in Apple fan sites and the Apple forum.

Then it's the memory problem... Memory takes a lot of time to be "free" when it reaches "not-active" status. It's a well know problem, just like the iGPU eats ram like there's no tomorrow. this must be fixed.

:)

• Reply 11 of 30
    Well, did they FINALLY add an AirPlay button to QuickTime Player, like iTunes has?!
  • Reply 12 of 30
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    Let us hope that they finally address Safari's memory leaks, graphical glitches, and lack of privacy in private browsing. This browser is borderline unusable at the moment, I've already gone as to far as to limit its real memory usage to 512MB to prevent it from causing everything else in the system to swap.
  • Reply 13 of 30

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Well, did they FINALLY add an AirPlay button to QuickTime Player, like iTunes has?!

Gah, hopefully. Wish they'd unify scrubbing in iTunes and QuickTime, too, but like that's ever going to happen… 

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Let us hope that they finally address Safari's memory leaks, graphical glitches, and lack of privacy in private browsing.

They did that back in the late 5.x.x set. What problems are you still having?

• Reply 14 of 30
    They did that back in the late 5.x.x set. What problems are you still having?

Yes, Safari 5 was fine, it's only Safari 6 that's broken (which to me coincided with the release of Mountain Lion, but Lion users are experiencing the same issues).

1 - Memory leaks: If I disable JavaScript Blocker, the browser will eventually start to grow uncontrollably by never wiping the Garbage Collector buffers even after full resets (a restart is required). This does not happen immediately, something triggers it, there may be memory corruption going on, and I believe it is related to the second case. To address this, I have replaced Safari's executable with a script that limits real memory usage to 512MB before launching Safari, so if Safari attempts to allocate memory beyond that, its least used pages will be swapped rather than staying resident, thus allowing Safari to grow as much as it likes without slowing the rest of the system down.

2 - Graphical glitches: Ever since the release of Mountain Lion (and Safari 6), people with MacBook Pros with dual GPUs have been experiencing an issue which under certain conditions causes the browser to display heavy graphical corruption until restarted. This, however, only happens while using the Intel HD300/4000 GPU; switching to the dedicated GPU and refreshing all pages with glitches stops them from occurring. Other Webkit-based browsers, such as Chrome, also display the same issue, and upgrading Webkit does not solve the problem. Just like the memory leaks above, these issues are not initially apparent, they require certain conditions to trigger, but once triggered they will grow progressively worse until the browser is restarted. After months experiencing this, I have finally found a reliable way to reproduce the issue using the Apple Store website and a bit of window resizing (though window resizing is not required to trigger this through normal use).

3 - Privacy mode lacking privacy: For some reason beyond my understanding, Safari is keeping HTML5's local storage around between different sessions of private browsing, after full resets, and even until its directories are wiped from the users' home directories. This only happens to private browsing; resetting Safari works correctly for regular browsing. The only known way to wipe Safari's private browsing local storage data seems to be a complete system reboot. This may or may not be related to the aforementioned issues; my suspicion is that a shared library is allocating shared memory for local storage that is never being freed, and since unlike on other UNIXes, all shared libraries are loaded for all processes being executed in OS X, it is likely that any shared allocations done by those libraries are kept alive on the shared memory allocated for all user processes. If I'm right, not only is tis a privacy problem for the browser itself, but it may also be a privacy problem for individual users of the same system.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    God dammit, I wish they finally fix the memory management in 10.7.6 or 10.8.5. My RAM is getting used up for nothing.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

They are really taking their time with this release, I wonder if they intend it to be the last one before 10.9?

• Reply 17 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    tcphoto wrote: »
    And it killed my MBP battery.

What, the Dev upgrade did?
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Kind of odd ... Recently AI reports the dev upgrades many hours if not a day before I get my official email from Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    denmaru wrote: »
    God dammit, I wish they finally fix the memory management in 10.7.6 or 10.8.5. My RAM is getting used up for nothing.

10.7.6 or 10.8.5 not sure I follow ...

Just a suggestion, try running in safe mode (boot with shift key held) and compare RAM usage assuming 'used up' you mean 'allocated'. If 'used up' means 'fast draining' perhaps you need a new battery. My 2010 MBP really improved after a new battery. On top of that stick in an SSD as a boot drive. That makes a huge difference to everything.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    denmaru wrote: »

10.7.6 or 10.8.5 not sure I follow ...

Just a suggestion, try running in safe mode (boot with shift key held) and compare RAM usage assuming 'used up' you mean 'allocated'. If 'used up' means 'fast draining' perhaps you need a new battery. My 2010 MBP really improved after a new battery. On top of that stick in an SSD as a boot drive. That makes a huge difference to everything.