Google's Nexus 7 outsells Apple's iPad in Japan over holidays

Comments

• Reply 81 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

Well said. Android and Apple fanboys love to argue about that stuff, but as long as it leads to products people like at prices they can afford, who cares about this pissing contest.

I care. Pissing contests are fun.

• Reply 82 of 155
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    drblank wrote: »
    The iPad mini didn't start shipping until Nov, so the Nexus 7 had a month longer, plus was the cellular version even allowed to ship?

Some people don't read each word or write each word of the actual situation, but when the iPad mini started shipping, the article says it slowed the Nexus 7 sales.

Excellent point.

Also, I wonder how many of the purchasers were Samsung attorneys who couldn't tell the difference and thought they were buying iPads. /s

eggspectre wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what company makes more money.

Of course it matters.

When a company makes money, they can continue to invest in innovation which moves the entire industry forward. Apple's innovation seems to be driving the entire market over the past 10 years or so. WIthout profits, that wouldn't happen.

On the other side, companies who don't make money look for ways to cut corners - and eventually start selling crap.
  • Reply 83 of 155
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

No one else is reporting this story, not even other Mac rumor sites, so I'm wondering how reliable the source is.

• Reply 84 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

No one else is reporting this story, not even other Mac rumor sites, so I'm wondering how reliable the source is.

Exactly. The total units sold is way too small to make the story believable. 

• Reply 85 of 155
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

4. Does the survey account for returns as well

Or how about exactly what stores were they. how many sell which items. 

They surveyed 2400 stores, if only the 100 Apple Stores and Apple resellers sell the iPads and none of the other 2300 do then you would expect the iPad to sell less because it's just not around for folks to buy. Humans, regardless of race, tend to be 'i want now' types, particularly during the holidays when its a gift and they don't want to risk it not shipping at the right time to be there when they need it to be there. 

add in returns to this and the numbers might not be telling the story they seem to be telling

• Reply 86 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by EggSpectre View Post

It doesn't matter what company makes more money.

Sure it does. Because money is the game. Mindshare, marketshare etc only matter as tools to get to the money. 

As for Apple Fans and what they should worry about, many of them will be thrilled by this notion that some cheap ass whatever is more popular. They want to go back to the days of Apple being special and exclusive. They dont want grannies with cataracts having iPhones. They don't want things like iMovie letting everyone edit movies. Down to the Mac Mini etc. Apple should dump everything but the Mac Pro and the retina laptops and raise prices so the 'losers' can't afford Apple stuff and it can go back to the glory days of when having something Apple was like having a Black AmEx. 

• Reply 87 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm struggling to understand why AI would report something like this when the data is clearly questionable. I can understand anti-Apple sites like c|net doing it as its good click bait for them. But AI shiould know better. image

The same reason every site will report this and will report that Apple CEO Tim Cook farted today

Page Hits. Page hits gets them ad money from those annoying banners (often for the competition) and that's the name of their game. All things Apple even if its a lame and thin connection get the most page hits so everyone tosses Apple out there as much as they can. 

This is a blog,not a newspaper so truth and such doesn't matter. Just page hits

• Reply 88 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The same reason every site will and will report that Apple CEO Tim Cook farted today

Page Hits. Page hits gets them ad money from those annoying banners (often for the competition) and that's the name of their game. All things Apple even if its a lame and thin connection get the most page hits so everyone tosses Apple out there as much as they can. 

This is a blog,not a newspaper so truth and such doesn't matter. Just page hits

Truth on a rumor site. Good one. Ha ha.

• Reply 89 of 155
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The same reason every site will report this and will report that Apple CEO Tim Cook farted today

Gotta love news media 2013 image

Anything and everything o make good companies look bad is a story.

• Reply 90 of 155
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Here's a breaking story that AI should write about, and it's about damn time that somebody is at least looking into all of the scummy analysts and other potential criminals who have been spreading FUD about Apple. 

US SEC examining whether Apple supply chain leaks constitute insider trading

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/information-technology/053682-us-sec-examining-whether-supply-chain-information-constitutes-insider-trading.html

Well, the only problem with that is that they could decide that anybody who reads info allegedly leaked from the supply chain and then trades Apple stock is guilty of insider trading, which would mean a lot of us would have to stop reading this website if we don't want to go to jail.

• Reply 91 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

buried by a cheaper copy 

Might be mistaken, but I thought Nexus came out before Mini...

• Reply 92 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I care. Pissing contests are fun.

Especially in windy places where you aren't downwind.

• Reply 93 of 155

The only story I can find on the WSJ site about this topic is over two years old. Has a more recent story been published?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703730304575633173086330184.html?mod=googlenews_wsj#articleTabs=article

• Reply 94 of 155
    Don't believe Wall Street Journal WSJ, "Bloomberg, Nikkei News, they reporting, they are always issued irresponsible constantly fake news.

%u5927%u5BB6%u4E0D%u8981%u518D%u4FE1 %u83EF%u723E%u8857%u65E5%u5831 Wall street WSJ%uFF0C%u300A%u5F6D%u535A%u300B bloomberg %uFF0C%u300A%u65E5%u7D93%u65B0%u805E%u300BNikkei %u7684%u4E0D%u8CA0%u8CAC%u4EFB%u7684%u5831%u5C0E%u4E86%uFF0C%u4ED6%u5011%u662F%u70BA%u4E86%u6284%u5BB6%u4E0D%u65B7%u767C%u51FA%u865B%u69CB%u7684%u6D88%u606F

• Reply 95 of 155

?????? ????? Wall street WSJ????? bloomberg ???????Nikkei ??????????????????????????

Don't believe Wall Street Journal  WSJ, "Bloomberg, Nikkei News, they are always issued irresponsible constantly fake news. 
  • Reply 96 of 155
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Samsung is besting other Android-based vendors with over a billion a year on advertising but they aren't even close to Apple. 

Just a slight correction here, Samsung spends almost $10 billion a year on advertising. And upwards of $20 billion for "marketing", which includes advertising, sales incentives (commissions), and specials deals (Buy One, Get One).

• Reply 97 of 155

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

I worked with a team the other day who almost all had iPhones a year ago and today they ALL had Samsung phones...

Granted, they were Samsung's executive team…

• Reply 98 of 155
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Just a slight correction here, Samsung spends almost $10 billion a year on advertising. And upwards of $20 billion for "marketing", which includes advertising, sales incentives, and specials deals, including Buy One, Get One.

That includes all their divisions.   CPUs, memory chips (they are the largest maker in the world), phones, laptops, printers, flat screen TVs, LCD and AMOLED displays for all kinds of devices, you name it.    Any engineer knows how much suppliers like that spend on trade shows, sample parts, sales reps, etc.

If you check advertising journals, their actual spending on smartphones alone is far smaller than the total of all those other businesses, and has been less than Apple's spending, at least in the US.

It does not include Buy One, Get One.  That is done by the carriers.   They use it to capture longterm users, since it's not really One Free.  It's two at half price, and they BOTH require a new two year contract.   The phone maker gets paid normally.

• Reply 99 of 155
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Like I keep on saying, Apple in Asia is nowhere near as popular as it was, iPhones are relatively rare. I worked with a team the other day who almost all had iPhones a year ago and today they ALL had Samsung phones...

The only *new* Android phones I see are Samsungs and I see a lot of them. But I also see plenty of iPhone 5s at airports, malls, and other places. I think Samsung is eating more so into other Android manufacturer's than Apple itself. One proof being Apple's marketshare is still GROWING according to most reports albeit at a slower rate than before.

• Reply 100 of 155
    I have to believe that the iPad is the dominant tablet in Japan, especially now with the iPad mini that was just released. A survey of electronics stores in the US would probably show every brand outselling Apple brands, because how many people go to electronic stores to purchase apple products bigger than an iPod?