John Sculley says Apple needs cheap iPhone for emerging smartphone markets

Comments

• Reply 121 of 143
    This guy dosn't give a damn about what the world thinks of him. I'll give him that.
  • Reply 122 of 143
    Yes, this is exactly what Apple needs after Steve Jobs is gone, advice from Sculley.
  • Reply 123 of 143

The issue is not should Apple make a 'cheap iPhone' it's how does Apple address emerging markets were carriers do not subsidize the purchase of the device? 

I worked at Apple when Scully was CEO and quite frankly he did not identify Apple's real problem at the time. It wasn't that Apple couldn't compete on price with the PC manufacturers. It's that Apple quit innovating and lost it's differentiation to 'Wintel'.

Frankly, I trust Apple's current management to make the right decision here. Steve Jobs is never coming back, but Apple still has highly talented employees who are dedicated to carrying on Jobs vision. BTW, if anyone wants an autographed copy of Scully's book let me know image

• Reply 124 of 143
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    realwarder wrote: »

Actually, I think you'll find that the Apps are the reason to be in the market.

If 95% of the worlds phones run a 'commodity' Android phone, how do you think the app market place will end up?  Will people make the iPhone #1 when developing apps? 

Therefore to make iOS the platform standard that continues to be developed on first, you have to have massive market share.  Therefore you need to be selling a phone that makes it the standard and is a revenue generator from the hundreds of millions (even billions) of users buying apps.

U wanna talk iOS market share, you'll have to add the touch and the iPad as well. Combined, the android advantage is non existent.
  • Reply 125 of 143
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    karmadave wrote: »
    The issue is not should Apple make a 'cheap iPhone' it's how does Apple address emerging markets were carriers do not subsidize the purchase of the device? 

I worked at Apple when Scully was CEO and quite frankly he did not identify Apple's real problem at the time. It wasn't that Apple couldn't compete on price with the PC manufacturers. It's that Apple quit innovating and lost it's differentiation to 'Wintel'.

Frankly, I trust Apple's current management to make the right decision here. Steve Jobs is never coming back, but Apple still has highly talented employees who are dedicated to carrying on Jobs vision. BTW, if anyone wants an autographed copy of Scully's book let me know ;)
    Don't have to like Scully. Doesn't mean everything that comes out of his mouth is wrong. His general point about Apple needing a strategy for markets where there aren't phone subsidies is a good one.
  • Reply 126 of 143
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Don't have to like Scully. Doesn't mean everything that comes out of his mouth is wrong. His general point about Apple needing a strategy for markets where there aren't phone subsidies is a good one.

Tim Cook said in 2009 Apple had developed a strategy for emerging markets. I'm sure the deal with China Mobile and the potential R&D facilities in China are crucial to that.

If Apple makes a low cost phone its not going to be for emerging markets exclusively so the idea analyst and people have of Apple making an all plastic phone to sell in China and India is rather ludicrous.

When Apple makes a more affordable iPhone its going be of the same high quality of all of Apple's products and people will want to buy it because it's a well made product with beautiful materials and an easy to use OS.

Scully simply wouldn't have the vision for that, but I believe Tim Cook does.

• Reply 127 of 143
    rogifan wrote: »

I actually liked Scully personally but disagreed with him then and disagree with him now. His decision to make 'cheap' Macintoshes, sold through discount retailers, was a disaster.

If Apple can deliver an iPhone for emerging markets, with the same high quality standards, then more power to them. If they build a 'cheap iPhone' it may benefit them in the short run but in the long-run it will hurt Apple's brand.
  • Reply 128 of 143

Why do people even interview the guy?

• Reply 129 of 143

I send this to strong, intelligent people that I either think or know are with us so just an important link for John Sculley.

The world's stronger, more intelligent groups are on the right side of this: secretcontrol.byethost33.com

It deals with the use of shame factors as a control mechanism. The thesis at secretcontrol.byethost33.com is an analysis of the mechanisms used by a hidden system to achieve its objectives.

It explains how it gets things done that otherwise wouldn't be. It answers questions as how to control individuals using shame factors such as incest, paedophilia, queer sex, consensual (closet queers) and non-consensual and how to control organizations by placing these individuals into such organizations. It uses a logical thought process to describe the mechanisms of this system and strengthens this with a large amount of research data. 

It describes how blackmail is the key to corruption and how this specific form of blackmail can get people to do just about anything.

It also describes in detail the technology used and the secret weapon of this system and the groups that are with us.

It explains how this is a replicating system that can and is infiltrating governments, the police, media...etc. It also indicates how just knowing what is contained in this document provides a potential solution.

Those groups that use such shame factors will inevitably be destroyed as others discover their secrets.
  • Reply 130 of 143
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    The sheer UNITY of response here is absolutely tremendous. What a way to start a day. 

The iPhone 4 on PAYG is only about $200, last I saw.

yea but thats in the states... Here in Finland /europe it costs 399euros. Talking About cheap phones are we? You can still get a decent android phone for 200 Eur... (not talking about the utter crap ones)
  • Reply 131 of 143

Originally Posted by habi View Post

yea but thats in the states...

I was talking about O2, but…

Are there any carriers in the US that even have the iPhone on PAYG?

• Reply 132 of 143
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

Reeallly?

• Reply 133 of 143
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are there any carriers in the US that even have the iPhone on PAYG?

Straight Talk supports the iPhone on PAYG.

They even sell the iPhone on a time payment plan  through Walmart if you use the Walmart credit card or something like that.

Btw, I've read reviews that the "unlimited" really isn't, of course.   Probably a 2GB soft cap before you get harassed.  Still, not a bad deal.  Uses the AT&T network.

• Reply 134 of 143

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Straight Talk supports the iPhone on PAYG. Btw, I've read reviews that the "unlimited" really isn't, of course.   Probably a 2GB soft cap before you get harassed. 

Right, right, right; forgot about that. And yep, that's the cap.

• Reply 135 of 143
    Do the opposite of what Sculley says.

Make a 5", 1080p Newton successor. Go even more upmarket.
  • Reply 136 of 143
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Do the opposite of what Sculley says.

Make a 5", 1080p Newton successor. Go even more upmarket.

... and call it the iPhone "Math" image

• Reply 137 of 143
    stefstef Posts: 87member
    Small iPhone? Sure. Cheap iPhone? No. Apple needs to drive prices up, not begin dumpster diving. How? By "lifecycling" its iOS devices, offering to take used and broken units on trade in. Presently Gazelle will purchase my used or broken iPhone, I assume 'cus the components have material value. Strikes me that means Apple should be doing this good work, and driving a giant competitive wedge between itself and all those thousands of models of cheap Android phones and tablets that can't go anywhere but to junkyards worldwide. Even if Apple makes a smaller, less expensive iPhone, it must be recyclable for all our sakes. Where Apple leads, others follow. And who but Apple can do this? See my petition: http://cl.ly/0A302L3Y0c0r
  • Reply 138 of 143

It seems that Sculley feels he has finally developed an Apple related business acumen, personally I feel once again he is getting involved in a vision in which he does not understand. You simply either believe in Apples ecosystem and direction or you do not, it cannot be compared with other platforms.

A few posts comment on how they are surprised at Samsungs penetration of the European market with the Galaxy range of products, I actually work in the channel and the Galaxy range moves at amazing volumes with little support from the manufacturer. While the products are of higher quality than we have seen in the past I feel they are still lacking in comparison to Apple products which I see as intentional as they have established their market after earlier generations which had the appearance of certain products we all know and love! they can now move in their own direction with regards to design.

What I find amazing is that people seem to like using Android! it is the least user friendly OS I have ever used on a device, downloading childrens game Apps usually results in a virus, a product you were not expecting such as a completely different game or the apps are of low quality. Maybe developers take more care in the design of their apps for IOS than other platforms coupled with Apples usually stringent approval processes users rarely have any troubles.

When asking friends and colleagues why they choose Android based devices over IOS the general consensus is not with regards to cost in most cases but is to do with the 'open' nature of the platform over IOS. Mac sales in the UK are much smaller % wise than in the US which I feel hinders peoples understanding of how great a home/small office can be when using apple products in an ecosystem, many people only use IOS which is a massive part of apples business but is only part of the story. I wonder if keeping IOS as a premium product and maybe consider making concessions on price/design in the imac arena would allow a greater growth opportunity in the iphone arena, this allows for macbooks to stay at a premium but would assist growth in the declining desktop market. My new 21.5" imac is amazing to look at and is a clear design revelation however specification wise is very run of the mill considering the cost, ofcourse being a true apple user I pay the price but many will not so maybe it is time for Apple to see the product out in a slightly different way?

discuss...........................

• Reply 139 of 143

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really? So you can get me an iPhone 4 for free? Where? I'll take 5.

Signing a two year contract at a premium price with mandatory data plan is not free. The discussion about low cost phones revolves around developing countries which don't use the "we'll get our money back two fold by hiding the cost in the monthly plan" model.

Verizonwireless.com You can have as many as you want. Android phones aren't free without a contract.

• Reply 140 of 143

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, because Verizon isn't getting those phones for free. You pay for it with your contract. The market under discussion is a cheap phone the consumer pays for in a non-contract market. Completely different markets.

No sorry not completely different markets. Steve Jobs had this crazy vision that people were going to pay retail for the next ten years when it came to the iPhone. Then he dropped the price by 200.00 which freaked everyone out. The iPhone 5 is the same price as any other new smartphone with the Android OS. People aren't elite because they use an iPhone. Take my word on this it will take alot more then an iPhone 5 to bump you up to elite.

You are one of the worst trolls on this forum.