Blurry

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I started using 10.1 full time, although its slow. The screen now seems blurry-mainly text. I thought OSX was supposed to look better than OS9? It isn't my monitor because OS9 looks fine.............................................. ..................

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Mac OS X uses true antialiasing, not that "font smoothing" crap OS9 had. Most people much prefer OSX's text over OS9's. That's the main reason a lot of people are so hyped about OmniWeb and Chimera; they use OSX's native text engine. Shoot, OmniWeb is slow and breaks CSS, iFrames, tables, and web standards all over the place but people still absolutely adore it because it renders text so much nicer than Internet Explorer, Netscape, and iCab.

You'd better get used to it because Apple is getting rid of all remnants of the older OS9 "Carbon" text. The leaked builds of 10.2 show that the older text rendering is gone altogether.

Out with the old and in with the new.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Most people much prefer OSX's text over OS9's.</strong><hr></blockquote>Most people? I for one do not. Why shoud I like blurry text :confused:

- T.I.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    You can turn off antialiasing for text under user pre-configured size. You do so in the general preferences pane in the System preferences
  • Reply 4 of 6
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Blurry?! It's beautiful!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    It is all down to personal preference.

Some people like OS 9 text rendering, some OS X. Some like none, and some like ClearType.

Personally, I like Quartz rendering, as it is very readable, but i would like more options built in e.g. a cleartype equivalent.

low-fi
  • Reply 6 of 6
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I don't understand why anyone would like blurry text. It makes me feel as if somethings wrong with my eyes. I'm glad i mentioned it here because if i was the only one to notice this that would have really worried me!.......................