Old PowerMacs and Networking

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey all,

I'm thinking of buying an old PM for my wife's studying. However the puter must also be able to connect to my ADSL router via RJ45 stick. So here's the question, What was the first PM to have a 10 b-t ethernet card with RJ45? Does the AAUI-15 card on the 8100 have it or is it the old fashioned one (which name I can't recall)?

Also, If I get an 8500 or 9500, will it be significantly slower for web browsing than my iMac DV SE /400mhz?

All input appriciated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    The 7200 and the 8500/9500 were the first ones, IIRC, to have an RJ-45 jack onboard. But you know, you only need an AAUI adapter to get Enet to work on a 61, 71 or 8100.

And yeah, an 8500/9500 will be slower for web browsing than the iMac DV SE.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xaqtly:

<strong>

And yeah, an 8500/9500 will be slower for web browsing than the iMac DV SE. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I know it will be slower, but is it gonna be significantly slower? Will I be constantly reminded that it's outdated or is it ok for every ordinary tasks such as WP, Spreadsheet, Photoshop 4 browsing etc ?

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: kelib ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jdbonjdbon Posts: 109member
    For web browsing and WP, any powermac will be just fine. The determining factor is bandwith, which with ADSL you have. With the first generation PowerMacs 61/71/8100 series, they have the AAUI ethernet, and all you need is a cheap AAUI to 10bt adapter (should be @ 20 bucks). Finally if I may offer an opinion, you may want to consider a Powermac 7600. In my experience this model is about the same price as an 8100 (on ebay), has PCI slots, and is easy to upgrade. Plus it has a 604 and has AV outs. It can also run OS X with proper software. And as an added convenience it has 10bt (normal ethernet) on the logic board. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by kelib:

<strong>

I know it will be slower, but is it gonna be significantly slower? Will I be constantly reminded that it's outdated or is it ok for every ordinary tasks such as WP, Spreadsheet, Photoshop 4 browsing etc ?

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: kelib ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have PowerMac 9500/180 MP. I've run it with everything from 7.6 up to OS X and BeOS. All the Mac OSes browse significantly slower than my PowerMac G4 or an iMac 233 that I used to have. If you use an older browser you get better responsiveness but older browsers are slow in other areas and don't support half the sites on the net. Current browsers really push the old machines unfortunately. Best browser is IE 5.1 for the 9500.

BeOS on the otherhand browses nearly as fast as my G4 but it's web browser is outdated and Mozilla for beOS is only X86 at this time
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

Current browsers really push the old machines unfortunately. Best browser is IE 5.1 for the 9500.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is really sad. However I talked to a friend of mine who still has his 9500 and he said it was just OK in Os 8.6 and IE 4.5. Sure there may be sites out there it can't handle but for those I have my Sawtooth and the Pentium. Will sell my iMac when I still can get something for it. I can even start using my Colour StyleWriter again now
  • Reply 6 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by kelib:

<strong>

This is really sad. However I talked to a friend of mine who still has his 9500 and he said it was just OK in Os 8.6 and IE 4.5. Sure there may be sites out there it can't handle but for those I have my Sawtooth and the Pentium. Will sell my iMac when I still can get something for it. I can even start using my Colour StyleWriter again now </strong><hr></blockquote>

you're friend knows what he's talking about. I used that combination for a while with relatively good results. That page icon with the text being written to it (bus icon in IE4.x) really got to me though.

Connections were cable and dsl by the way
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Bought a 9500/200mhz/160 mb yesterday and got it hooked up on my ADSL 512k. All I can say that I'm very positively surpriced. It came with Os9 (I updated to 9.1) and IE 4.5. Yes it's a bit slower than the iMac but all my regular websites work just fine and it's not that much slower. It came with the Extended keyboard and how nice typing one of those again. The best keyboard ever made IMO.

Overall the machine is more than cabable of doing the job we use it for, WP, Excel, Photoshop 4, web radio, Email and browsing. I'm yet to install Dreamweaver but don't expect any problems there at all. Nice to have the SCSI port as well for my old Umax scanner.