Apple kicks off sales of cellular-enabled iPad mini in China

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41

The verdict is in folks.  Check it out....

"Apple's iPad Mini is creating a frenzy among Chinese tablet buyers..."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57561156-94/ipad-mini-in-hot-demand-in-china-analyst/

ciao

• Reply 22 of 41
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Without seeming too sarcastic… Is that for an iDevice made in Brazil or an iDevice made in China?

There is something so wrong about this… Like AlGore buying AAPL stock for $.01 on the dollar.

Aside from that, my real question: can iPad be used as an iPhone in China?

Do mean rather that the stock option system is the something that is so wrong?

If you blame Al Gore, that would mean that you would be willing to turn down $26 million in compensation due to you out of principle or because it looked bad to those who don't understand the deal.

Or maybe I don't understand the deal. In any case, you've tossed a half-eaten corn dog just beyond the basura, and look how a troll is chomping on it. Have to keep the grounds clean around here.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    kingchael wrote: »
    Wave of bad news after bad news every day.

Cut and paste from another thread, 'ey ese? The bad "news" is of you, by you and for you.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    arch wrote: »

A lot of the manufacturing and assembling take place there. So if its pretty much made there, I am not sure how the import tariff would work

My understanding is that anything manufactured in the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone will be charged import tariffs if they end up being sold domestically. The reason is that companies such as Foxconn get tax breaks for setting up shop there, so if they sell their products domestically then their domestic competitors (who do not enjoy these same tax breaks) would be at a disadvantage. So yes it would seem odd that something made and then sold in China would get charged import tariffs, but those are the rules for operating in the SEZ's.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    aia wrote: »
    My understanding is that anything manufactured in the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone will be charged import tariffs if they end up being sold domestically. The reason is that companies such as Foxconn get tax breaks for setting up shop there, so if they sell their products domestically then their domestic competitors (who do not enjoy these same tax breaks) would be at a disadvantage. So yes it would seem odd that something made and then sold in China would get charged import tariffs, but those are the rules for operating in the SEZ's.

Thanks for this info.
  • Reply 26 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post

You can make whatever points you want except real stereo imagining bc you are obviously quoting an outdated Amazon spec sheet and don't know anything about audio. It is impossible to have any "real stereo imagining" on any phone or tablet.

BTW, Amazon withdrew that mini comparison from their spec comparison chart when they learned the the iPad mini has stereo speakers.

I guess you work for Amazon or got a Kindle HD for Christmas and want to feel better about it.

I'm not quoting any ad disguised as a spec sheet, these are real life observations.

Anybody that knows audio, knows the farther the speakers are placed apart, the better stereo imaging you'll get. Phone or tablet is irrelevant.

The speakers on the Kindle Fire HD are about 22.5cms apart. How far apart are they on the mini? About 4cm.

---WARNING!   WARNING!  Reality Distortion Field Disruptor Ahead  WARNING!   WARNING!---

Amazon published "single speaker" because that's what was listed on Apple's own spec page.

Now Apple fixed the page by indicating the mini has "speakers". To this day, Apple still has not officially specified if they are stereo.

Are they or aren't they? What kind of a crappy spec sheet is that? It's not, it's another ad.

In my comparisons, I gave the mini the benefit of the doubt and called their speakers stereo.

But at 4cm, the imaging is horrendous. I can see why Apple doesn't want to admit they're stereo.

Oh BTW, CNET said this about the Kindle Fire HD "Fire HD's speakers deliver clear, loud sound. For tablets, there are none currently better".

• Reply 27 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

Originally Posted by KingChael View Post

Obviously it's so wrong.  If he exercised now that means he is likely to sell some of his shares soon before piss poor earning or the sell the news after decent earning pop.

Another piece of bad news for shareholders.  Wave of bad news after bad news every day.  No PR to fight the BS media.  No divvy increase.  No stock split. No action whatsoever to protect shareholder.  And now, no innovation.  At least Jobs had the latter.  All this happening under the leadership of Cook and the rest of the clowns.  They are the ones responsible for driving and burning AAPL into the ground.  The media hordes are just adding gas to the fire.

The only thing AAPL seems to be good at now is the hedge funds and insiders coordinating together to make sure the retailers are holding the bag, not just the POS AAPL stock but their POS products also.

Apple stock is up since Cook took over. Six years lapsed between the iPod and iPhone and another threes years between the iPhone and iPad.

Why would they need a divvy increase or a stock split?

• Reply 28 of 41
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    kingchael wrote: »
    Obviously it's so wrong.  If he exercised now that means he is likely to sell some of his shares soon before piss poor earning or the sell the news after decent earning pop.

Al Gore paid about $441,000 for 59,000 shares. Those shares each pay $10.60 per year in dividends.
    That means the shares Al bought will pay $625,000 in the next year, for an effective rate of 141.8% on his investment. Future years will likely pay the same or higher dividends.

The options were paying him nothing. The fact that he exercised the options most likely means he wanted the dividend income.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

I'm getting tired of hearing what Apple is kicking off in China. Who cares?

• Reply 30 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Those are background color words…

Like describing the former IBM has the computer giant from Armonk.

Or Google as the seedy underbelly of advertising from Mountain View.

I always heard IBM referred to as the Colossus of Armonk image

• Reply 31 of 41

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm getting tired of hearing what Apple is kicking off in China. Who cares?

The Chinese. And investors worldwide.

• Reply 32 of 41

I would not be surprised to see people carrying a mini + bluetooth headset rather than a iPhone 5.

• Reply 33 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

if you ever see a Nexus 7, Kindle Fire or some other 7" tablet next to the iPad mini you'd likely come to the conclusion that the iPad mini is well worth the cost. A much bigger display and better construction.

No comparison...Also the mini has a vast library tailored for iPad, not blown-up phone apps. 

• Reply 34 of 41

Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post

I would not be surprised to see people carrying a mini + bluetooth headset rather than a iPhone 5.

So something you can't put in your pocket—that you have to carry—instead of a phone that does the same.

• Reply 35 of 41
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post

No comparison...Also the mini has a vast library tailored for iPad, not blown-up phone apps. 

That's the main benefit of the Mini and I think that more than makes it worth the cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So something you can't put in your pocket—that you have to carry—instead of a phone that does the same.

I've seen people carry Nexus and Kindle's in their pockets...

It's not pretty, but I've seen it...

• Reply 36 of 41
    I am not sure that Chinese can afford the prices for iPad. Many people say that they are way too expensive for most people in China. China has manufactured their own iPhone look alikes and tablets starting at around $60.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    goodcory wrote: »
    I am not sure that Chinese can afford the prices for iPad. Many people say that they are way too expensive for most people in China. China has manufactured their own iPhone look alikes and tablets starting at around $60.

Let me assure you that they can. Those people who say that Apple's products are too expensive for Chinese consumers don't know anything about China. Even folks in the lower income bracket are willing to spend a month's salary on an iPhone or iPad.
  • Reply 38 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodCory View Post

Yeah, sure. But how are they doing?

• Reply 39 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell View Post

I'm not quoting any ad disguised as a spec sheet, these are real life observations.

Anybody that knows audio, knows the farther the speakers are placed apart, the better stereo imaging you'll get. Phone or tablet is irrelevant.

The speakers on the Kindle Fire HD are about 22.5cms apart. How far apart are they on the mini? About 4cm.

---WARNING!   WARNING!  Reality Distortion Field Disruptor Ahead  WARNING!   WARNING!---

Amazon published "single speaker" because that's what was listed on Apple's own spec page.

Now Apple fixed the page by indicating the mini has "speakers". To this day, Apple still has not officially specified if they are stereo.

Are they or aren't they? What kind of a crappy spec sheet is that? It's not, it's another ad.

In my comparisons, I gave the mini the benefit of the doubt and called their speakers stereo.

But at 4cm, the imaging is horrendous. I can see why Apple doesn't want to admit they're stereo.

Oh BTW, CNET said this about the Kindle Fire HD "Fire HD's speakers deliver clear, loud sound. For tablets, there are none currently better".

Anyone who listens to anything remotely serious (other than, say, some short news clips) on the built-in speakers is being plain silly.

• Reply 40 of 41
    russell wrote: »

Oh BTW, CNET said this about the Kindle Fire HD <span style="font-family:arial;font-size:15px;line-height:normal;">"Fire HD's speakers deliver clear, loud sound. For tablets, there are none currently better".</span>

You're really quoting cnet, that's like quoting the Sharper Image catalog or Delta's Sky magazine. It's a paid advertisement.

"For tablets, there are none currently better" - which means they all suck at stereo imaging. That's like say "my home stereo is junk, but my friends' are worse"

Being the awesome audiophile that you obviously are, how incredible is the sound with speakers 22.5 cms apart? I can't wait to hear that. Will it change my world? /s

Audio on all tablets' built in speakers suck for "educated audiophiles"