Google's Nexus 7 outsells Apple's iPad in Japan over holidays

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 155

Today a new Japanese article totally dismisses this Nexus 7 story.

In brief, it says that:

1) research by BCN is based on 2400 small shops (16% of all the electronic stores in Japan) which DO NOT include neither big chains (Yamada, BicCamera, Yodobashi, Kojima, Nojima) nor big online stores (Amazon, Apple Store), nor large discount department stores/warehouse stores (Aeon, Ito Yokado). Data don't even include the thousands of shops by SoftBank and KDDI - the only two telecom companies selling iPads and iPhones in the country;   

2) the research data refer to a time period when the new iPad and iPad mini were delivered only in very small numbers even to the big retailers; so, most of those 2400 small shops didn't even have them on stock;

3) during the first half on 2012, iPad market share was 61.1%, Asus' was 3.1%. In Q3 2012 Apple shipped 400.000 iPads to Japan; Asus shipped 40.000 Nexus. It's hard to believe that the situation totally reversed in only three months.

Relying on BCN data is like making a research at Toyota stores to see how many Honda they are selling. So, data by BCN are totally unreliable (BCN claims that Sharp's Aquos phone has been the top selling smartphone for six weeks this year. When compared with more extensive data, the Aquos phone didn't even make it to the top five).

If the writer of the original Japanese article wanted to be fair, he should not have titled his article "Nexus 7 outsells iPad", but "Nexus 7 outsells iPad in 2400 stores where new iPad models weren't in stock (and I have no idea of what happened in the other 12,600 stores around the country that had those new models)".

This new article of today also highlights how during the last few weeks there has been a lot of bad publicity for Apple on Japanese newspapers. After some check, the writer found that all anti-Apple news come from the same source: data from BCN being picked up by "Diamond" - a magazine that at every issue features dozens of pages of advertisement from Samsung, Panasonic and other Japanese makers, but not from Apple.

The writer offers a deep analysis on how an article on "Diamond" emphasizes how Apple products are not selling and production has been cut; but when you read in detail the data - and not the writer's remarks - on that very article, you can easily get to totally different conclusions.

He also underlines how sometime bad publicity also come from a total misunderstanding of a source, the way it happened when the WSJ picked-up a bad translation of a Nikkei article to claim that Apple was cutting iPhone 5 screen production in Japan.

It's a long, but very interesting article, if you can read Japanese:

http://bylines.news.yahoo.co.jp/masakazuhonda/20130119-00023120/

• Reply 142 of 155

I have this tablet and it fking sucks. Should have saved money for the mini instead. Played w it in the apple stores a few times and I love it !!!

• Reply 143 of 155
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    tatsuya wrote: »

Excellent post, thanks for sharing!
    xtacee1990 wrote: »
    I have this tablet and it fking sucks. Should have saved money for the mini instead. Played w it in the apple stores a few times and I love it !!!

Certainly hope this is not how (the Japanese) people experience this tablet! A crying shame if you think you made the right decision only to come to the conclusion your purchase sucks and experience buyers remorse.

• Reply 144 of 155
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    tatsuya wrote: »

In brief, it says that:

1) research by BCN is based on 2400 small shops (16% of all the electronic stores in Japan) which DO NOT include neither big chains (Yamada, BicCamera, Yodobashi, Kojima, Nojima) nor big online stores (Amazon, Apple Store), nor large discount department stores/warehouse stores (Aeon, Ito Yokado). Data don't even include the thousands of shops by SoftBank and KDDI - the only two telecom companies selling iPads and iPhones in the country;   

2) the research data refer to a time period when the new iPad and iPad mini were delivered only in very small numbers even to the big retailers; so, most of those 2400 small shops didn't even have them on stock;

3) during the first half on 2012, iPad market share was 61.1%, Asus' was 3.1%. In Q3 2012 Apple shipped 400.000 iPads to Japan; Asus shipped 40.000 Nexus. It's hard to believe that the situation totally reversed in only three months.

Relying on BCN data is like making a research at Toyota stores to see how many Honda they are selling. So, data by BCN are totally unreliable (BCN claims that Sharp's Aquos phone has been the top selling smartphone for six weeks this year. When compared with more extensive data, the Aquos phone didn't even make it to the top five).
    If the writer of the original Japanese article wanted to be fair, he should not have titled his article "Nexus 7 outsells iPad", but "Nexus 7 outsells iPad in 2400 stores where new iPad models weren't in stock (and I have no idea of what happened in the other 12,600 stores around the country that had those new models)".

This new article of today also highlights how during the last few weeks there has been a lot of bad publicity for Apple on Japanese newspapers. After some check, the writer found that all anti-Apple news come from the same source: data from BCN being picked up by "Diamond" - a magazine that at every issue features dozens of pages of advertisement from Samsung, Panasonic and other Japanese makers, but not from Apple.

The writer offers a deep analysis on how an article on "Diamond" emphasizes how Apple products are not selling and production has been cut; but when you read in detail the data - and not the writer's remarks - on that very article, you can easily get to totally different conclusions.

He also underlines how sometime bad publicity also come from a total misunderstanding of a source, the way it happened when the WSJ picked-up a bad translation of a Nikkei article to claim that Apple was cutting iPhone 5 screen production in Japan.

If only mainstream American media actually did their research before reprinting this story,
    and causing another fear-based stock sell off.
  • Reply 145 of 155
    andreyandrey Posts: 108member
    archurban wrote: »
    iOS UI, devices by apple are not impressed anymore. they've been older and older. people don't feel impressive.

^this. Beautiful but overpriced hardware, boring and aging iOS and ugly monster on top of it - iTunes, great idea, poor implementation. I want to have widgets on my iPad. I don't want to exchange photos between tablet and laptop through iCloud. I'm really impressed with Jelly Beans while iOS6 was ... Well, just like 5.. Or 4 ... Not much different from the one that I got on 1st and 2nd Gen Touch (both still alive btw).
  • Reply 146 of 155
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    andrey wrote: »
    Not much different from the one that I got on 1st and 2nd Gen Touch (both still alive btw).

Ooh goodie, so at least their hardware works for you !
  • Reply 147 of 155
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ^this. Beautiful but overpriced hardware, boring and aging iOS and ugly monster on top of it - iTunes, great idea, poor implementation. I want to have widgets on my iPad. I don't want to exchange photos between tablet and laptop through iCloud. I'm really impressed with Jelly Beans while iOS6 was ... Well, just like 5.. Or 4 ... Not much different from the one that I got on 1st and 2nd Gen Touch (both still alive btw).

I truly love these boring, aging, poor, just like version x, not much different comments because I can't understand the rationale behind someone who wants a company to have no direction, focus, or ability to plan and build well so that they continually have to reinvent there UI because they get it right the first time. I marvel at how well Apple did with iOS pre-release that they have only built upon their foundations with very little scraping and starting from scratch. They done such a brilliant job that many of the frameworks and usability aspects have carried over to Mac OS X.
  • Reply 148 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

Give it to someone.

• Reply 149 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I truly love these boring, aging, poor, just like version x, not much different comments because I can't understand the rationale behind someone who wants a company to have no direction, focus, or ability to plan and build well so that they continually have to reinvent there UI because they get it right the first time. I marvel at how well Apple did with iOS pre-release that they have only built upon their foundations with very little scraping and starting from scratch. They done such a brilliant job that many of the frameworks and usability aspects have carried over to Mac OS X.

Either Apple's done that or Apple's just so plain unable to evolve that they're doomed.

Obviously, it's the second option. /s

• Reply 150 of 155

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Give it to someone.

He doesn't have anyone he hates that much.

• Reply 151 of 155
    andreyandrey Posts: 108member

Lol, tallest. He's your kind. He probably saw Nexus on a cover of magazine. Just read this.

"I have this tablet and it fking sucks. Should have saved money for the mini instead"

Nexus7 is $300 while Mini is 329$. I know, I played Santa for Christmas. Enen though I choose Mini, primary due to investment into iPad software and good value overall, N7 is comparable to the mini. So, that kid with No-Samsung logo can afford 300$ but needs to save $29 more for mini.:)
  • Reply 152 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrey View Post

Lol, tallest. He's your kind. He probably saw Nexus on a cover of magazine. Just read this.

"I have this tablet and it fking sucks. Should have saved money for the mini instead"

Nexus7 is $300 while Mini is 329$. I know, I played Santa for Christmas. Enen though I choose Mini, primary due to investment into iPad software and good value overall, N7 is comparable to the mini. So, that kid with No-Samsung logo can afford 300$ but needs to save $29 more for mini.image

Agreed. If he had a nexus he'd be satisfied. If he had a Mini he'd be satisfied. He just doesn't have anything.

• Reply 153 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He can send it to me, I have an art project going on I could use a few dozen good tablets for. And whatever you may think, it is a good tablet even without an Apple logo on it. Or is it the basic definition of a good device "has an Apple logo" for you?

• Reply 154 of 155
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

So, just thought I'd add a post here after this report has confirmed to be bullshit. 

• Reply 155 of 155
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Nexus7 is $300 while Mini is 329$. I know, I played Santa for Christmas. Enen though I choose Mini, primary due to investment into iPad software and good value overall, N7 is comparable to the mini. So, that kid with No-Samsung logo can afford 300$ but needs to save $29 more for mini.:)

I think you meant $200 on the Nexus7 didn't you? Even the latest 32 GB model with "retina" display can be had for under $270.