Apple looks to trademark iPad likeness in China

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Friday submitted documents detailing two iPad designs to China's Patent and Trademark Office in hopes of securing a trademark on the signature look of its best-selling tablet.

iPad

The two designs -- one in black and white, the other in color -- were submitted under International Class 009, a trademark classification covering computers, computer peripheral devices, computer gaming machines, digital electronic devices, and a range of other information technology-related devices, reports Patently Apple.

Securing the likeness of the iPad is yet another step by Apple to protect its brand and image in China's burgeoning consumer electronics market. The Cupertino company recently settled a trademark dispute case with Chinese company Proview. Under that settlement, Apple paid Proview $60 million for the Chinese rights to the iPad trademark.

Apple has recently intensified its focus on the Chinese sector, with CEO Tim Cook meeting with China's largest cellular carrier last week during his second trip to the country in the past ten months. Apple is also moving to position its premium products as more affordable within the Chinese market, introducing installment payments that allow customers to take up to 24 months to pay off their purchases.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Trademarking rectangles again it looks like. When will Apple ever innovate /s
  • Reply 2 of 68
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I have to wonder if Apple in some way has to bribe the officials or so called director of the patent office to get anything approved?
  • Reply 3 of 68

There is no company that can patent a rectangular shape.

• Reply 4 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I have to wonder if Apple in some way has to bribe the officials or so called director of the patent office to get anything approved?

C-H-I-N-A. That's part of the approval process.

• Reply 5 of 68

Oh please...Come on Apple just innovate and beat the competition with quality products at a sensible price, and make litigation a minor part of the game. The only folk who benefit from this headlong rush to the courts are the lawyers, and they are fat enough already.  

• Reply 6 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Oh please...Come on Apple just innovate and beat the competition with quality products at a sensible price, and make litigation a minor part of the game. The only folk who benefit from this headlong rush to the courts are the lawyers, and they are fat enough already.  
    Don't people ever get tired of posting this canard? Apple isn't in the top 10, probably not even in the top 20 of patents granted. There was patent litigation before Apple and there still will be after Apple.

Samsung Seeks U.S. Ban on Ericsson Products

Samsung sues LG Display over OLED patents

LG Display countersues Samsung over OLED patent infringement

I guess Samsung, LG and Ericsson need to innovate, not litigate?
  • Reply 7 of 68
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

The shareholders are doing also ok, a $650 million damages award overturned in East Texas, $1 Billion ??? from Samsung, Apple's lawyers have more than paid for themselves.

• Reply 8 of 68
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Well it's a good thing Apple is one of the wealthiest companies in the world.

They have the resources to both innovate and litigate when and where they see fit.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I guess Samsung, LG and Ericsson need to innovate, not litigate?

Ericsson's better days are probably behind them. Expect a lot more lawsuits from them in a quest to slow the descent by monetizing their patent portfolio, much the same as Nokia. 

• Reply 10 of 68
    This will not be about the general rounded rectangle shape, it will be about all the details that make them up, that make an iPad an iPad if its on or off, all the details that make them unique.

Examples... You get cars, hifi's etc that look similar but are not copies of other makes. There are distinguishing differences to all of them, & it's not just the brand name or logo on them.
  • Reply 11 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Trademarking rectangles again it looks like. When will Apple ever innovate /s

No, this time it appears they're trying to trademark the combo use of black and silver colors in an electronic device, going by the trademark records page image at PatentlyApple. I wonder if that would include black combined with the color of aluminum? Or how about more titanium-colored? Maybe a light gray metallic?

http://www.patentlyapple.com/.a/6a0120a5580826970c017ee79c66f8970d-pi

• Reply 12 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

This will not be about the general rounded rectangle shape, it will be about all the details that make them up, that make an iPad an iPad if its on or off, all the details that make them unique.

Examples... You get cars, hifi's etc that look similar but are not copies of other makes. There are distinguishing differences to all of them, & it's not just the brand name or logo on them.

Apple's recent design patents, at least any I've read, are typically broad rather than highly detailed and restrictive. And yes FWIW, Apple has filed for and been granted a US design patent on a rounded rectangle shape for an electronic device and not for "all the details that make an iPad an iPad"

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11/apple-awarded-design-patent-for-actual-rounded-rectangle/

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/7/3614506/apple-patents-rectangle-with-rounded-corners

• Reply 13 of 68
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

If you look at Patently Apple's pictures, one of the things that Apple is claiming for their trademark is the colors "silver and black" for the front view.   iPad clones might have to use different colors.

Edit:  Oh.  GG posted about the colors already. 

I couldn't find the full trademark application on the official China trademark site, but I did run across an entry where Apple had registered "IPAD MINI HD", which sounds like a possible name for the retina model.

• Reply 14 of 68
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Ericsson's better days are probably behind them. Expect a lot more lawsuits from them in a quest to slow the descent by monetizing their patent portfolio, much the same as Nokia. 
    Er, Samsung sued Ericsson. :\
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Apple's recent design patents, at least any I've read, are typically broad rather than highly detailed and restrictive. And yes FWIW, Apple has filed for and been granted a US design patent on a rounded rectangle shape for an electronic device and not for "all the details that make an iPad an iPad"
    And only Apple is granted these types of patents?
  • Reply 16 of 68
    blackbook wrote: »
    Well it's a good thing Apple is one of the wealthiest companies in the world.

They have the resources to both innovate and litigate when and where they see fit.
    Didn't you know Apple can't walk and chew gum at the same time. If they're in litigation that means there's no time for innovating. I guess only companies like Samsung can innovate and litigate at the same time. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 17 of 68

Quote:

And only Apple is granted these types of patents?

Where did you read that?

• Reply 18 of 68

Quote:

Er, Samsung sued Ericsson. image

Er,  Ericsson sued Samsung first, then Sammy responded with their own counterclaims. 

• Reply 19 of 68
    Where did you read that?
    I didn't. But that seems to be the meme whenever these stories come up. Quite honestly I don't get why Apple being granted a patent is news anyway, they're granted lots of patents all the time just like other companies. Big deal.
  • Reply 20 of 68

Quote:

I didn't. But that seems to be the meme whenever these stories come up. Quite honestly I don't get why Apple being granted a patent is news anyway, they're granted lots of patents all the time just like other companies. Big deal.

Most manufacturers don't have their own patent blog followers, so these kinds of reports just tag along with the good stuff. It comes with the territory.