Reinstalling OS X

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Well I know this is a very common question, but bare with me please. I got my iMac about 2 weeks ago and I want to format and have a fresh start. I'm new to Mac so I have never done such a thing before on a Mac. I want OS 9 and OS X like the New iMac came and everything. I don't need separate partitions for anything unless it is recommended. If you could help me that would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Okay, here's a step-by-step guide that *should* work.

1. Insert the Mac OS 9 Install CD.

2. Restart your Mac while pressing the letter 'c' on your keyboard. That makes the Mac startup from the CD. You can release the 'c' key when you hear the CD spin up and see the Happy Mac screen.

3. Double-click the CD on the desktop, open the Utilities folder, and open Drive Setup.

4. Select your drive and click Initialize. The default settings should be fine.

5. Quit Drive Setup.

6. Open the Mac OS Install program.

7. Run the installer, restart your Mac, and eject the CD.

9. Insert the Mac OS X Install CD.

6. Install Mac OS X, restart, fill out the registration, etc.

That should cover it. Usually it's just a good idea to install OS9 before OSX because a few people have reported problems installing 9 after X.

Good luck!

PS. There may be some "software restore" CDs that came with the iMac you may want to check also. They might contain some extra things that aren't part of the "System install" that you'll want to such as iDVD or iMovie.

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    You're probably best going with the Software Restore option. You'll find the CDs in the little packet. This will restore your iMac to "factory condition".

Please remember to back up any files you don't want to lose first!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    fonerootfoneroot Posts: 102member
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>You're probably best going with the Software Restore option. You'll find the CDs in the little packet. This will restore your iMac to "factory condition".

Please remember to back up any files you don't want to lose first!</strong><hr></blockquote>

So I would just start up with Software Restore Disc 1? Also is there a button I need to push to get a CD out? I know the eject button the keyboard but I wasn't sure if there was a different key. What is the different between a software restore and formatting and install the OS again? Formatting seems better to me personally, like installing OS 9, then OS X, then software restore. I'm not sure... Kind of confused on what the best way I should format and have all the software that came with it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by foneroot:

<strong>So I would just start up with Software Restore Disc 1? Also is there a button I need to push to get a CD out? I know the eject button the keyboard but I wasn't sure if there was a different key. What is the different between a software restore and formatting and install the OS again? Formatting seems better to me personally, like installing OS 9, then OS X, then software restore. I'm not sure... Kind of confused on what the best way I should format and have all the software that came with it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It seems a bit pointless formatting the drive, installing OS 9 and OS X, and reinstalling your apps by hand when that's exactly what the Software Restore CDs are there for.

If you want to format your hard disk first, boot from the first Software Restore CD and use Drive Setup to initialize the drive as starfleetX describes.

You shouldn't need to eject the CDs manually. As each Software Restore CD installs, the drive automatically pops open to let you swap the next one in.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>

It seems a bit pointless formatting the drive, installing OS 9 and OS X, and reinstalling your apps by hand when that's exactly what the Software Restore CDs are there for.

If you want to format your hard disk first, boot from the first Software Restore CD and use Drive Setup to initialize the drive as starfleetX describes.

You shouldn't need to eject the CDs manually. As each Software Restore CD installs, the drive automatically pops open to let you swap the next one in.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think I will just use the software restore CD's sense like you said, that is what they are for. So I suppose I would just insert Software Restore #1 and follow along.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I did system restore and it was a piece of cake, nothing to it. Everything is good now, thanks!