Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The latest rumors out of Asia claim that Apple will launch three new smartphones in 2013, including a next-generation iPhone, a cheaper model handset and a surprise large-format device with a 4.8-inch screen tentatively dubbed the "iPhone Math."

Sales
Apple's current generation iPhone 5 may be joined by two new models in 2013.

Citing upstream supply chain sources, the China Times (via global investment news service BrightWire) reports that Apple will unveil the three iPhones at staggered launches throughout the year, with the first two being the next-generation iPhone and the 4.8-inch "phablet" device. These people claim a third model with a 12-megapixel camera will debut before the holiday season, though not much is known about the product at this time.

It should be noted that AppleInsider cannot vouch for the veracity of the sources' claims and offers the following information for purposes of discussion only.

Recent reports have that suggested Apple may debut a more affordable handset this year, but none have mentioned the so-called "iPhone Math," which the publication says will help the company stay competitive in light of rival manufacturers' phablet offerings. The rumor is another in a string of reports alleging a larger-screened iPhone may be on the way.

While details regarding the mystery device's specifications remain scarce, sources claim it will feature a large display measuring at least 4.8 inches diagonal, almost one inch larger than the current iPhone 5. Form-factor and screen resolution are unknown, though the so-called "iPhone Math" is said to boast an 8-megapixel camera with lenses built by Largan Precision. The Chinese firm has supposedly been tapped to supply some 8 million camera lenses for both the "iPhone 5S" and the "iPhone Math."

Component shipments for the two handsets, including touchscreen panels and cameras, will purportedly begin in March ahead of a late-April production timeline. Apple manufacturing partner Hon Hai, better known as Foxconn, will reportedly be responsible for assembling 90 percent of the orders.

The iPhone 5S claims are in line with analyst predictions regarding the production timeline of the iPhone 5 follow-up, with manufacturing expected to begin in March ahead of a launch in June or July.

A recent report from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo noted that the next-generation iPhone will likely include a fingerprint scanner built into the home button. He also expects a more affordable iPhone range to debut in the third quarter of 2013. The new model will be similar in design to the iPhone 5 but will replace the expensive aluminum chassis with a polycarbonate version available in six different colorways.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 214
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    The iPhone Math will be followed by iPhone History, iPhone Psych, iPhone Chem ...

• Reply 2 of 214
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Is iPhone "Math" the lost in translation version of iPhone "Max"? If so this will make those who want a monster-sized iPhone happy.
  • Reply 3 of 214

Man, I guess I'll be waiting even longer to get a 4.2-4.5" phone from Apple. I find the 4" iPhone 5 small, and the 4.8" Android phones to be a bit too large.

• Reply 4 of 214
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    That simply *has* to be a typo or a bad translation.
  • Reply 5 of 214
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    razorpit wrote: »
    Is iPhone "Math" the lost in translation version of iPhone "Max"? If so this will make those who want a monster-sized iPhone happy.

Makes far more sense than "Math", even as a code name it's a bad one.
  • Reply 6 of 214
    iPhone Math is a good name because if they start releasing all these differ versions and sizes and colors, there are going to be so many numbers out there... Steve had it right, build a great product and the sales will take care of themselves. Let android fragment itself, don't try to copy it. It is like the late 80's again at Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 214
    I presumed iPhone mini, maxi and magnum. Just like all the condom names adorning Android phones.
  • Reply 8 of 214
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The iPhone Math doesn't add up.

[INDENT]1) The name makes no sense.

2) If they are going to release a less expensive iPhone you'd think they used the same displays, and OS and app ecosystems they current use. Like with the iPad mini.[/INDENT]

Using the iPad (3)'s PPI, with the 960x480 resolution of the iPhone 4 you get a 4.37" display. With the 1136x640 resolution of the iPhone you get a 4.904" display.
  • Reply 9 of 214

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Maxwell View Post

iPhone Math is a good name because if they start releasing all these differ versions and sizes and colors, there are going to be so many numbers out there... Steve had it right, build a great product and the sales will take care of themselves. Let android fragment itself, don't try to copy it. It is like the late 80's again at Apple.

Letters with meaning.

iPhone X (the best iPhone, 5inch screen, expensive as sh*t, outsells all phablets combined)

iPhone (similar to today's iphone, with 4.2 screen, same price)

iPhone air ( 3.5 or 4inch screen, similar to same-generation iPod touch, cheaper)

Terminate previous iPhone models production.

New Dev tools and stronger ecosystem.

more market share

Profit

World domination.

• Reply 10 of 214
    will help the company stay competitive in light of rival manufacturers' phablet offerings.

When the people that write these rumors say things like that I can't pay much attention.
    They don't follow other companies to stay competitive. Just saying.
    And this cheap phone just won't die.
  • Reply 11 of 214

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesota_Steve View Post

I presumed iPhone mini, maxi and magnum. Just like all the condom names adorning Android phones.

LOL. Stuffing a Big Android Phone full of specs in your pocket makes up for hardware deficiencies elsewhere....

• Reply 12 of 214

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcmatt View Post

Man, I guess I'll be waiting even longer to get a 4.2-4.5" phone from Apple. I find the 4" iPhone 5 small, and the 4.8" Android phones to be a bit too large.

It's just a rumor, Goldilocks.

• Reply 13 of 214
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The iPhone Math will be followed by iPhone History, iPhone Psych, iPhone Chem ...

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about a science book

Don't know much about the french I took

Don't know much about geography

Don't know much trigonometry

Don't know much about algebra

Don't know what a slide rule is for

But I do know that one and one is two

And if this one could be with you

What a wonderful world this would be...

Thank-you Sam Cooke

• Reply 14 of 214
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Good thought about bad translation of a math term.

Perhaps it actually is "iPhone Plus".

• Reply 15 of 214
    The loons are out today.
  • Reply 16 of 214

For trying to boost the stock price of your company...

there is a rumor for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While details regarding the mystery device's specifications remain scarce, sources claim it will feature a large display measuring at least 4.8 inches diagonal, almost one inch larger than the current iPhone 5. Form-factor and screen resolution are unknown, though the so-called "iPhone Math" is said to boast an 8-megapixel camera with lenses built by Largan Precision. The Chinese firm has supposedly been tapped to supply some 8 million camera lenses for both the "iPhone 5S" and the "iPhone Math."

That's it.

• Reply 17 of 214
    It should be noted that AppleInsider cannot vouch for the veracity of the sources' claims and offers the following information for purposes of discussion only.

You should post this same disclosure in all your other rumor articles.
  • Reply 18 of 214

They are releasing a calculator

• Reply 19 of 214
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    A 640x1136 iPhone (same app res as iPhone 5) cut out of the iPad's retina display (264 PPI) would be just under 5" (significantly larger than 4.8). That would be the easiest to make, and would run current apps unmodified. It would be just like running an iPhone app (at 1x) on an iPad--except that iPads don't run the tall format when they do that.

So, if Apple had to, there's a good, developer-friendly solution.

But I think big screens are more hype and less useful in practice, for most people, and the hype will wear off. Android users would KILL for a full-powered 3 to 4 inch device, and that's a "choice" that nobody offers them. People want high-end power AND a small device. 4" is a great compromise size.

So I don't think "phablet" is a niche Apple needs to serve--not while the iPhone 5 is outselling all other phones and phablets already.

As for the "latest rumor out of Asia"... give me a break. People all of the world make stuff up. Why do people in Asia get all the attention for it? Here, I'm not in Asia, and I can make something up: I work in Cupertino and I saw someone with a 16" (or so) iOS device, clearly running iOS Mail. It was wrapped in rubber or plastic to hide the edges, and the guy was in a public park, not knowing someone was near enough to watch him test it. iPad Pro? The home button looked different: the square was solid white instead of an outline.

There. If only I lived in Asia, the world would use me as link bait! :)
  • Reply 20 of 214

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

A 640x1136 iPhone (same app res as iPhone 5) cut out of the iPad's retina display (264 PPI) would be just under 5" (significantly larger than 4.8). That would be the easiest to make, and would run current apps unmodified. It would be just like running an iPhone app (at 1x) on an iPad--except that iPads don't run the tall format when they do that.

So, if Apple had to, there's a good, developer-friendly solution.

But I think big screens are more hype and less useful in practice, for most people, and the hype will wear off. Android users would KILL for a full-powered 3 to 4 inch device, and that's a "choice" that nobody offers them. People want high-end power AND a small device. 4" is a great compromise size.

So I don't think "phablet" is a niche Apple needs to serve--not while the iPhone 5 is outselling all other phones and phablets already.

As for the "latest rumor out of Asia"... give me a break. People all of the world make stuff up. Why do people in Asia get all the attention for it? Here, I'm not in Asia, and I can make something up: I work in Cupertino and I saw someone with a 16" (or so) iOS device, clearly running iOS Mail. It was wrapped in rubber or plastic to hide the edges, and the guy was in a public park, not knowing someone was near enough to watch him test it. iPad Pro? The home button looked different: the square was solid white instead of an outline.

There. If only I lived in Asia, the world would use me as link bait! image

Facts:

- There's a market with millions of monthly subscribers willing to pay 700$ just for a big screen.

- Apple provides the best hardware and the best ecosystem

- Apple could provide a much better 5" phone than anyone else

- Apple has the necessary resources.

What can go wrong?

-Nothing.

What's in it for Apple?

- Millions and Millions of new users per quarter that otherwise wouldn't buy an iPhone.

- More marketshare at the expense of rivals better costumers (those that buy one X, S3, note, Razr, etc).

So?

The rest is history...