iPad2 vs. iPad mini

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Christmas nears and with blackfriday next week I have good chance to buy good gift for teenage daughter. I don't know if Apple will throw $50 off like on last thanksgiving but I already found deal in Walmart for iPad2 - standard price plus 75$ gift card what makes it 325$. I looked at mini at Sams today and found it adorable but have doubts sine can have full size for the same price. What would you recommend? I wold like to know pros/cons. :\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11

What'll you be doing with it?

• Reply 2 of 11
    andreyandrey Posts: 108member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What'll you be doing with it?

Whatever teens do - FB, browsing, pandora, netflix, cat photos ... My wife biased against iPod2 since treats it as old hardware.  But same time we expected retina on mini for $329. It feels like scale down #2. Thus i'm stuck at the point 7-9 vs 9-7 and pretty much leaning towards bigger. But mini weights only 0.68 and has almost 13hrs of battery live. Anything else? 

• Reply 3 of 11

Originally Posted by Andrey View Post

It feels like scale down #2.

It is, nothing more.

It really comes down to if you want a… 

"DON'T SAY 'USABLE SCREEN SIZE."

…large screen or a small screen, since the specs are the same.

• Reply 4 of 11
    Large screen vs. small screen is a fair way of looking at it. I'd also throw in the need for portability. If you think your daughter will be taking the iPad with her when she goes out I'd lean towards the mini. If its going to be a stay at home device than it just comes down to screen size.
  • Reply 5 of 11

Originally Posted by reputationZed View Post

I'd also throw in the need for portability. If you think your daughter will be taking the iPad with her when she goes out I'd lean towards the mini.

I'll throw in that the iPad (regular) serves me well, walking from building to building. It's far lighter and more portable itself than many other options.

• Reply 6 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'll throw in that the iPad (regular) serves me well, walking from building to building. It's far lighter and more portable itself than many other options.

Agree on that! Depends on whether your daughter likes the bigger size iPad or the iPad mini as well though.

• Reply 7 of 11
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member

The mini has a significantly better camera than the iPad 2 (may or may not make a difference depending on how your daughter will use it).

• Reply 8 of 11
    The mini also has Siri, and the cellular version has the far superior LTE
    as well as turn-by-turn navigation.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    I actually don't like the iPad mini, the build and screen seems somehow off. At least with the iPad 2 it is still quite thin and light, and while 1024x768, at least it is bigger so it is clearer.

Personally, the 7" size without retina is not adequate.

You'll have to ask your daughter what she prefers.
  • Reply 10 of 11

I want to be able to store music, movies/ shows, and be able to surf the internet as well as use aps. which one would be the better buy...ipad 2 or ipad mini?

Forex trading in India

• Reply 11 of 11

I want to be able to store music, movies/ shows, and be able to surf the internet as well as use aps. which one would be the better buy...ipad 2 or ipad mini?

Forex trading in India:forexbulls.com