Apple's iPhone grabs almost two-thirds of Verizon's 9.8M smartphone sales in Q4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone accounted for 6.2 million of the 9.8 million smartphones Verizon sold in the last quarter, powering record smartphone adoption numbers at the nation's largest carrier even as Verizon posted a big loss for the quarter.

The iPhone across all of its models sold nearly double the number of Android-based smartphones sold in the past quarter. Verizon's Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo revealed that approximately half of the iPhones Verizon sold in Q4 were 4G LTE, meaning that they were iPhone 5 units.

iPhone 5

At 63 percent of total Verizon smartphone activations, the iPhone this quarter far outstripped its 47 percent average over the past five quarters. The figure for the fourth quarter was the highest since the third quarter of 2011.

The nation's largest carrier saw $30 billion in revenues for the fourth quarter of 2012, up 5.7 percent over the prior year. Of that, about $20 billion was wireless revenue. For the whole of 2012, Verizon saw $115.85 billion in revenue, up 4.5 percent year-over-year.

The largest negative item for Verizon was a pretax charge of $7.2 billion related largely to pension liabilities. The pension write-down, in combination with expenditures due to Hurricane Sandy, amounted to a total quarterly loss of $1.48 per share.

The carrier saw its total wireless subscriber base grow by five million customers over 2012, the highest growth Verizon has seen in four years. Retail postpaid connections were up 5.9 percent year-over-year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    Read an article yesterday that said that Samsung "won the smartphone battle" with the Galaxy S3. I guess the author of that article didn't read this one.
  • Reply 3 of 28

Interesting more than half of them are the 4 and 4s...

• Reply 4 of 28
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Which agrees with the other numbers we are seeing. Good thing for Google that Android is "winning!"

• Reply 5 of 28
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Not really. These models are less expensive and available on cheaper plans - it's all about affordability.

• Reply 6 of 28
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

That means we're going to see the dreaded margin compression the analysts are claiming justifies the current stock price.

• Reply 7 of 28
    What, no Galaxy SIII sales numbers? I thought Samsung sold 1 trillion of those, and we are expected to believe this was done without a stronger presence in the USA market...uh huh...
  • Reply 8 of 28

Why is everyone getting so excited about Verizon and AT&T iPhone sales putting a whooping on 78 different Android phones released in the last quarter?  Who cares.  The real story will come out once Cricket releases their numbers.  Only then will you see Android shining.  Stick a fork in Apple, they are done.

• Reply 9 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

this is obviously bad news. I expected the iphone to account for 200% of all phones sold at VZN. major disappointment. Sell!

• Reply 10 of 28

Who the heck is buying all of these Android phones? Everywhere I go, it's iPhones, iPhones, iPhones.

Last night at the military inaugural ball on TV, as the President and First Lady were having their dance, hundreds of phones were lifted overhead to capture the moment. The vast majority of them were iPhones. And soldiers are not exactly well off people.

Where are all of these Android phones that you can often get free with a cheap suit or a washer and dryer? Are people using them to even out the legs of tables!?

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 11 of 28
    I hope this helps to shut the bullshitters up like wall shit journal
  • Reply 12 of 28
    The interesting part is the high sales for the 4 & 4s, this could be for these reasons:
    1- lower price.
    2- there is a lot of people like the smaller form factor.
    3- the iphone 4 and 4s design are superior to the iphone5 and people like them more.
    Actually I know 3 people returned their 5 for 4s because they think they are a lot more " distinguished"

Probably a combination of all the reasons.
    Who will bet the headline will be like " iPhone5 sales disappoint" and completely forget the 6.2 million figure
  • Reply 13 of 28
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Which agrees with the other numbers we are seeing. Good thing for Google that Android is "winning!"

Well if it is purely in terms of market share then Google is winning, sure the US might be different but worldwide Google is number 1, in a few countries the ratio of Android vs iPhone is rather high in Androids favour.

Android is certainly making in-roads here in the UK via Samsung, 12-18 months ago I rarely saw any smartphone other than the iPhone being used on the train or in the street whereas now it's 50/50.

• Reply 14 of 28

the stock manipulation conspiracy begins to gain foundation.

• Reply 15 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

Why is everyone getting so excited about Verizon and AT&T iPhone sales putting a whooping on 78 different Android phones released in the last quarter?  Who cares.  The real story will come out once Cricket releases their numbers.  Only then will you see Android shining.  Stick a fork in Apple, they are done.

android will always win the low-end because there are no iPhones in that market. there is no money in that market.

• Reply 16 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    iceltic wrote: »
    Who will bet the headline will be like " iPhone5 sales disappoint" and completely forget the 6.2 million figure

Probably correct, unfortunately.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceltic View Post

Its all relative.  Apples stock price is based largely on analysts expectations.  If they expected Apple to sell 8 million phones at $n margin and priced the stock accordingly- and people bought shares to that level then its up to Apple to deliver.  6.2 million is a TON of phones, but if they sell 6.2million at $n margin and their current stock price is based on them being expected to sell 8million at $n- they are worth substantially less than their previous valuation.  It isn't that it is 'bad news' driving their shares down so much as it was exuberant expectations driving shares up too high in the first place.

• Reply 18 of 28

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Apples stock price is based largely on analysts expectations.  If they expected Apple to sell 8 million phones at $n margin and priced the stock accordingly- and people bought shares to that level then its up to Apple to deliver.  

Here's a stumper: Why do they matter in any respect for any reason at any time? Who are these people, what credentials do they have, what reason do we have to listen to anything they say?

These are questions that aren't ever asked. It makes me want to become an analyst: it's the only job (other than the nice wait in the unemployment line vis-a-vis George Costanza) where there is zero accountability, zero responsibility, and people listen to you regardless of what spews forth from your mouth. Despite my hatred of narcissism, I might take up analyst-ing simply because it's free money.

• Reply 19 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceltic View Post

The interesting part is the high sales for the 4 & 4s, this could be for these reasons:

1- lower price.

2- there is a lot of people like the smaller form factor.

3- the iphone 4 and 4s design are superior to the iphone5 and people like them more.

Actually I know 3 people returned their 5 for 4s because they think they are a lot more " distinguished"

Well iPhone 4's are being given away free at Verizon so how can Apple be making any money? There must be a lot of iPhones sitting around if the only way to get rid of them is to give them away.

/s

• Reply 20 of 28
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Well iPhone 4's are being given away free at Verizon so how can Apple be making any money? There must be a lot of iPhones sitting around if the only way to get rid of them is to give them away.

/s

I fail to understand why non apple supporters live on a site called AppleInsider. I can promise there are no Apple Supporters hanging out in the Android Forum.