Verizon numbers hint Apple may have shipped more than 50M iPhones last quarter

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The latest iPhone activation data from Verizon suggests Apple may have shipped more than 50 million iPhones during the 2012 holiday season.

Verizon announced earlier Tuesday that the iPhone accounted for 6.2 million of the 9.8 million smartphones the carrier activated last quarter. With nearly two-thirds of new smartphone activations at Verizon, it was the best performance yet for the iPhone on the largest carrier in the U.S.

Over the past six quarters, Verizon has accounted for 11 percent of Apple's total iPhone shipments, analyst Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets noted on Tuesday.

iPhone 5

If that 11 percent holds for the December quarter, it would mean Apple shipped a whopping 56 million iPhones during the three-month period. Even if Verizon accounted for 12 percent of iPhones shipped in the quarter, White noted, it would still result in 51 million iPhones shipped.

The 6.2 million iPhones activated by Verizon were double the 3.1 million the carrier activated in the third quarter of calendar 2012.

Verizon also announced that the iPhone 5 accounted for about half of the iPhones activated in the quarter, which suggests strong sales for the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.

Total smartphone activations were up 44 percent quarter over quarter at Verizon, with the iPhone accounting for 63 percent of all smartphone activations. That's much higher than the 47 percent average the iPhone has had with Verizon over the last five quarters, White said.

In comparison, in the 2011 holiday season, the iPhone accounted for 56 percent of smartphones activated at Verizon following the launch of the iPhone 4S.

Separately, Brian Marshall of ISI Group said Verizon's iPhone activations are supportive of his estimate of 48 million iPhones in the December quarter. And Amit Daryanani from RBC Capital Markets also said Verizon's numbers bode well for his projection of more than 46 million iPhones.

Earlier this month, rival carrier AT&T announced it had sold 10 million smartphones in the holiday quarter. At least 8 million of those are expected to be iPhones.

Daryanani sees Apple having sold more than 16 million iPhones in the U.S. alone during the quarter, with 8.1 million at AT&T and another 1.7 million at Sprint.

He expects domestic catalysts for the iPhone will slow going forward, with the addition of carrier T-Mobile later this year representing the last catalyst in the U.S. for the current iPhone lineup. But Daryanani also believes the international market will continue to spur growth for Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    I hope tmr can make all bullshitters shut up like wall shit journal
  • Reply 2 of 91
    50 million? That's it?

Android had 50 million activations every minute.

Apple can't compete without a 6", 4K phablet...and a stylus...
  • Reply 3 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    AAPL started the day with a modest increase, but after this news came out, it started dropping.

I guess nothing is going to sway the debbie downers.
  • Reply 4 of 91
    Perfect day to sell off the stock...? Wtf
  • Reply 5 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

AAPL started the day with a modest increase, but after this news came out, it started dropping.

I guess nothing is going to sway the debbie downers.

As someone else noted... the 4 and 4S numbers will be seen as affecting margins.

Cook's forward statement will be examined letter by letter today.

I keep thinking that Apple has a couple of surprises that will be announced in this current quarter and I'm wondering if there will be any hints to that end.

• Reply 6 of 91
    Doooom i tell you. Seriously why are these rumored "reduction in parts orders" aways interpreted as lower shipments and sales, instead of Apple's improved ability to produce more phones efficiently at launch. Remember when the first few iPhone models were released, there was always a severe shortage. Now with each new model, there is never much problem with availability and the iPhone continues to put up great sales numbers.
  • Reply 7 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

As someone else noted... the 4 and 4S numbers will be seen as affecting margins.

Cook's forward statement will be examined letter by letter today.

I keep thinking that Apple has a couple of surprises that will be announced in this current quarter and I'm wondering if there will be any hints to that end.

I personally don't see this as a huge threat.  The production costs of the 4 and 4s should be much lower now.  They have been producing this style of phone for over 2 years now.  Also the component cost for the older components should be coming down to compensate for the lower cost of the phone.

• Reply 8 of 91

I doubt it. It undoubtedly costs a lot less to make a 4 or 4S than a 5. And the selling price difference is not that great (say, $649 vs $749). It may even be that the margins are greater on the older models (but revenue is lower, of course).
  • Reply 9 of 91
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

What I find amusing is that this stuff happens all the time (stock manipulation), and it's black & white that this is what it was, and it's completely, 100% illegal, but despite this and the fact that it happens all the time and a lot of "big names" and important people are involved in it ...  

... no one is ever charged, arrested, or even questioned over it.  Ever.  

This kind of corruption is basically "built-in" to the capitalist model, but we all pretend it isn't and that the business world is squeaky clean except for a few "losers" at the bottom somewhere when in fact it's the best and brightest at the top that do these things. It's practically the basis of how business works, and everyone who's involved in "the game" knows it.  

How ridiculous is a society who's published works, books, and laws say one thing, the reality is the exact opposite, and not one person has the guts or the temerity to stand up and point out that the Emperor is stark f*cking naked.  I honestly don't know how anyone involved in the stock market, lives with themselves or sleeps at night.  

• Reply 10 of 91

Quote:

What I find amusing is that this stuff happens all the time (stock manipulation), and it's black & white that this is what it was, and it's completely, 100% illegal, but despite this and the fact that it happens all the time and a lot of "big names" and important people are involved in it ...  

This kind of corruption is basically "built-in" to the capitalist model, but we all pretend it isn't and that the business world is squeaky clean except for a few "losers" at the bottom somewhere when in fact it's the best and brightest at the top that do these things. It's practically the basis of how business works, and everyone who's involved in "the game" knows it.  

How ridiculous is a society who's published works, books, and laws say one thing, the reality is the exact opposite, and not one person has the guts or the temerity to stand up and point out that the Emperor is stark f*cking naked.  I honestly don't know how anyone involved in the stock market, lives with themselves or sleeps at night.  

• Reply 11 of 91

I doubt it. It undoubtedly costs a lot less to make a 4 or 4S than a 5. And the selling price difference is not that great (say, $649 vs $749). It may even be that the margins are greater on the older models (but revenue is lower, of course).
  • Reply 12 of 91

Quote:

• Reply 13 of 91

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

And regular people actually pretend it isn't happening.

• Reply 14 of 91

Quote:

What I find amusing is that this stuff happens all the time (stock manipulation), and it's black & white that this is what it was, and it's completely, 100% illegal, but despite this and the fact that it happens all the time and a lot of "big names" and important people are involved in it ...  

... no one is ever charged, arrested, or even questioned over it.

How ridiculous is a society who's published works, books, and laws say one thing, the reality is the exact opposite, and not one person has the guts or the temerity to stand up and point out that the Emperor is stark f*cking naked.  I honestly don't know how anyone involved in the stock market, lives with themselves or sleeps at night.  

• Reply 15 of 91
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Watch Apple's stock tank if they announce 49.9 million phones sold- from a company that wasn't in the phone business a few yrs ago.

Who am I kidding, it will probably tank or barely move regardless of what they announce.
  • Reply 16 of 91

a lot of echo in here

• Reply 17 of 91
    gazoobee wrote: »

... no one is ever charged, arrested, or even questioned over it.  Ever.  o stand up and point out that the Emperor is stark f*cking naked.  I honestly don't know how anyone involved in the stock market, lives with themselves or sleeps at night.  

That's absolutely false. There have been a number of charges and arrests for stock manipulation. There have even been convictions:

http://www.sunshineslate.com/2012/02/09/convictions-south-florida-stock-manipulation/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_R._MacMillan

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2010/0129/Ex-SEC-lawyer-convicted-in-stock-manipulation-scheme

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2010/May/10-crm-515.html

That's just a small sample.

It's hard to get a conviction, but certainly not impossible. And your claim that no one has ever been charged, arrested, or even questioned is absolutely false.
  • Reply 18 of 91
    Hold on here. Are we supposed to take "shipped" as meaning "sold" when speaking about Apple? I thought we poke fun at "shipped" numbers when we talk about Google/Android/Samsung phones because of them stuffing the channel to make it sound like they "sold" more than they actually did but now when talking about Apple we're supposed to be using the term "shipped" also? Did I miss something?
  • Reply 19 of 91
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

... no one is ever charged, arrested, or even questioned over it.  Ever.  o stand up and point out that the Emperor is stark f*cking naked.  I honestly don't know how anyone involved in the stock market, lives with themselves or sleeps at night.  

That's absolutely false. There have been a number of charges and arrests for stock manipulation. There have even been convictions:

It's hard to get a conviction, but certainly not impossible. And your claim that no one has ever been charged, arrested, or even questioned is absolutely false.

Exactly. It is not illegal for an analyst to send a memo to their investors saying this or that about their checks with up stream component supply contacts either positive or negative. Attempted stock manipulation through the media or press releases is not the same as insider trading which involves prior knowledge of a circumstance and then advising or trading stock based on that knowledge to leverage a financial advantage.

• Reply 20 of 91
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Has anybody ever been convicted of Apple stock manipulation though? 

If some people are manipulating penny stocks, it makes sense that Apple would be very lucrative for certain criminals.