RIM could license software, sell hardware division after BB10 launch

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    The 70k figure is somewhat misleading. Keep in mind RIM's positioning - heavy duty business apps. Even today, their business app selection is very strong. Sure, they don't have 500 different Angry Birds clones or 700 fart apps or 2,000 flashlight apps, but there are still businesses out there that rely on Blackberry apps.

That's why I suggested that it would be attractive to someone. The ability to immediately access the business market with a differentiated, compelling product would be attractive.

I wonder if that number includes specialized apps that will only be used by one company.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I wonder if that number includes specialized apps that will only be used by one company.

I don't know, but even if it does, it simply supports my hypothesis. If a company has such specialized apps that work only on BB, then they are more likely to stay with BB.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    solipsismx wrote: »
    3) Not sure about the Springboard but I think the dots for pages first appeared in the iOS jailbreak app store back before there were additional pages to wit no App Store.

I always wondered who started this 'look'.
    4) $799 CAD?! That's $804 USD. We're talking more than $150 USD more than the same capacity device from Apple. Am I missing something here?

I think they simply need the money, but that's a totally unfounded statement! If we ever get to see the BOM, its cost and a comparison to competitive devices we can tag it then as expensive or not, but not before, no?
    5) That video of how they are going to market this device reminded me of this classic and funny video from Charlie Brooker on how to report the news...

Too funny!
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Last I checked RIM had massive server farms in Canada. They're well versed in cloud based services. Their email delivery and security is still tops in the industry which are very attractive to many corporations.

Even though you are right that many business still rely on RIM, their NOC downtime certainly hasn't helped them. Twice in a year! Fortunately not globally, but still...
    jragosta wrote: »
    I strongly disagree. If the new version is any good, I would expect quite a bit of interest. Samsung or HTC would be prime candidates. Perhaps Google.

A lot of companies are starting to realize how much they give up by being tied to Android and would like an alternative. Obviously, Samsung or HTC wouldn't drop Android entirely, but they might well like to have an alternative line of phones so they have a backup plan - and can tap into the people who don't like Android for one reason or another.

I fully agree. This Rise of the Smartphones shouldn't be a two horse race, and with Bada, WP8 and BB10 ought to get a lot more interesting (for a lack of better wording)
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If I have any complaint it's with the HW. It looks great but the fit and finish looks less refined than the iPhone.

Although I agree, I don't think we'll ever get to see another company 'doing it like Apple' even if they have the resources to do so, it simply won't be in their veins to go bazurk about these things. Do ou know why Apple goes through such lenghts? I read in 'the bio' it was all because Steve's father wanted him to paint the back of a fence as well, even though no one would ever get to see it:

Paul tried to pass along his love of mechanics and cars. “Steve, this is your workbench now,” he said as he marked off a section of the table in their garage. Jobs remembered being impressed by his father’s focus on craftsmanship. “I thought my dad’s sense of design was pretty good,” he said, “because he knew how to build anything. If we needed a cabinet, he would build it. When he built our fence, he gave me a hammer so I could work with him.”
    Fifty years later the fence still surrounds the back and side yards of the house in Mountain View. As Jobs showed it off to me, he caressed the stockade panels and recalled a lesson that his father implanted deeply in him. It was important, his father said, to craft the backs of cabinets and fences properly, even though they were hidden. “He loved doing things right. He even cared about the look of the parts you couldn’t see.”
  • Reply 44 of 44
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Maybe HP, the graveyard of acquisitions, will buy it. And then the rule

"HP will buy and it will die"

will go into effect.