Microsoft launching Surface Pro, expanding Surface RT lineup on Feb. 9

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Microsoft announced on Tuesday that it will expand its Surface tablet lineup next month with the new "Pro" model running Windows 8, as well as a new "RT" version with 64 gigabytes of storage.

Surface

Surface Windows 8 Pro will be available for purchase on Feb. 9 in the U.S and Canada starting at $899 for the 64-gigabyte version. The Surface Pro comes with a Surface Pen and is powered by an Intel Core i5 processor.

The 64-gigabyte standalone version of Surface Windows RT will run an ARM processor like the existing Windows RT tablets. The new high-capacity variant will cost $599, with the touch cover sold separately.

Microsoft will also launch new Surface accessories in markets where the tablet is still available. They are three limited edition Touch Covers, as well as the Wedge Touch Mouse Surface Edition.

The new Touch Covers will be available in red, magenta and cyan for $129.99, while the Wedge Touch Mouse will be $69.95.

Finally, Microsoft also revealed it will more than double the number of markets in which Surface Windows RT is currently available.

The 13 additional markets are Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. They join markets where Surface RT is already available: Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That'll kick some stands ¡
  • Reply 2 of 82
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I wish this was more popular because I have an idea for a portable table you place on your lap so you can actually use your Surface as a laptop.
  • Reply 3 of 82

The new Marmalade interface keeps fresh in the fridge and is ready to spread when you use the built-in toaster

• Reply 4 of 82
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I wish this was more popular because I have an idea for a portable table you place on your lap so you can actually use your Surface as a laptop.

I have the same idea except it is a carrying bag that turns into a lap table so you can actually use it as a laptop in your lap.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I have the same idea except it is a carrying bag that turns into a lap table so you can actually use it as a laptop in your lap.

How about a manual on how to use the Surface that converts into a table so you can actually use it. Like this:

• Reply 6 of 82
    When these prices are above apple you know they suck(not even mentioning quality)
  • Reply 7 of 82
    When these prices are above apple you know they suck(not even mentioning quality)
  • Reply 8 of 82
    ALthough listed as 64 Gigs, the Surface RT actually only has 48 Gigs available. 16 Gigs are for the RT OS. They're being sued over this. See this C/Net article: http://goo.gl/hsx4r
  • Reply 9 of 82

RIP.

• Reply 10 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

ALthough listed as 64 Gigs, the Surface RT actually only has 48 Gigs available. 16 Gigs are for the RT OS. They're being sued over this. See this C/Net article: http://goo.gl/hsx4r

You don't know what you are talking about.

After 1 year windows 8 (if everything is enabled) will eat more than 40gigs alone.

• Reply 11 of 82

Is there even any room left on the shelves since the RT's don't seem to be going anywhere?  I guess the RT's will be moving into the warehouses to collect dust to make some room.

• Reply 12 of 82
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Biggest anticlimax of the fiscal year. The writing was already on the wall when it was demo'd. 

• Reply 13 of 82
    don108 wrote: »

1) That's for the Surface RT which uses the stripped down version of the OS. Surface Pro uses the full Windows 8 build thus uses a lot more space. It also uses a lot more resources which will likely make many tasks feel much slower than the iPad despite the use of a Core processor.

2) I disagree with the lawsuit. The storage is as they say and I see no precedence for a PC vendor to sell their systems with a pre--installed OS that subtracts the default OS's data from the total amount of HW capacity.

After 1 year windows 8 (if everything is enabled) will eat more than 40gigs alone.

But what is it on the default build of the Surface Pro? I'm guessing it's about 30GB.
  • Reply 14 of 82
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Logitech and some lesser-known companies have made magnetically attached iPad screen-covers with built-in keyboards for longer than Microsoft has been making the Surface. Their only real hardware innovation isn't unique. Their UI is unique, I will grant--but an ungainly mix of old and new UI is not the way to go. Get an Air if you need a laptop. Get an iPad if you need a tablet. Get a Surface if you think you can have both in one... and enjoy the sacrifices.

They should have just let Metro be its own product and ditched Windows-for-tablets. It doesn't even make sense to call it Windows. Just have two OS's the way Apple does, and share between them but don't try to cram them together into one awkward mishmash that is the best at nothing!

Microsoft has the seed of something interesting. Too late? With Ballmer in charge, I'd say so. Wish we could see how this could have gone without him.
  • Reply 15 of 82
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

brilliant! come out with an even more expensive model of the dead duck RT! that is sure to boost sales, oh yeah.

what a joke. MS needs to cut its price in half instead. then maybe it might find some suckers buyers.

and what was the Surface RT Killer? we know ... the iPad mini. wonder what tomorrow's announced sales total will be, compared to less than 1 million RT's.

as to the long-awaited Pro, i am still waiting to hear what exactly it does better or easier than a good (touch screen if W8) laptop. there are no third party W8 apps i know of that really take advantage of a tablet format yet. the reason iPads are being used in so many special circumstances is that developers have created specialized apps for those uses that are also tablet optimized - simple and uncluttered. whereas legacy Windows applications will be crap to use on any tablet - none are simple or uncluttered. MS Office is not enough. unless all those proprietary software companies overhaul their complex applications for it specificially - very expensive to do - the Pro is DOA too.

• Reply 16 of 82
    alfiejr wrote: »
    brilliant! come out with an even more expensive model of the dead duck RT! that is sure to boost sales, oh yeah.

what a joke. MS needs to cut its price in half instead. then maybe it might find some suckers buyers.

and what was the Surface RT Killer? we know ... the iPad mini. wonder what tomorrow's announced sales total will be, compared to less than 1 million RT's.

as to the long-awaited Pro, i am still waiting to hear what exactly it does better or easier than a good (touch screen if W8) laptop. there are no third party W8 apps i know of that really take advantage of a tablet format yet. the reason iPads are being used in so many special circumstances is that developers have created specialized apps for those uses that are also tablet optimized - simple and uncluttered. whereas legacy Windows applications will be crap to use on any tablet - none are simple or uncluttered. MS Office is not enough. unless all those proprietary software companies overhaul their complex applications for it specificially - very expensive to do - the Pro is DOA too.

The Pro will connect to Active Directory environments. The RT will not. There should be dozens upon dozens of people at companies with an all Windows Server set that blindly love MS, hate Apple and have plenty of money to spend.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    Praising Microsoft and calling Surface fresh and innovative in 5,4,3,2...
  • Reply 18 of 82
    solipsismx wrote: »

I have this idea for putting the electronics and battery inside the keyboard, which would then be permanently attached to the screen, which could then be adjusted to any angle. It's the logical evolutionary path for the Surface.
  • Reply 19 of 82
    storneostorneo Posts: 101member
    If at first you don't succeed, make a newer, bigger, more expensive one.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    anonymouse wrote: »
    How about a manual on how to use the Surface that converts into a table so you can actually use it. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KuDPfTfw6w

Even better...