VRAM on PM-9500?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just bought an old 9500/200. What I can't figue out is the amount of VRAM it has. Currently I only have the old Apple 14" Trinitron (will get my new 17" on Thursday ) which only supports resolution of 640*480 and it does so in millions of colours.

In the System Profiler it says:

Card name: ATY.mach64

Card model: ATY.88800GX

Card revision: 3

So any one here know how much a VRAM this display card has?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    [quote]Originally posted by kelib:

<strong>I just bought an old 9500/200. What I can't figue out is the amount of VRAM it has. Currently I only have the old Apple 14" Trinitron (will get my new 17" on Thursday ) which only supports resolution of 640*480 and it does so in millions of colours.

In the System Profiler it says:

Card name: ATY.mach64

Card model: ATY.88800GX

Card revision: 3

So any one here know how much a VRAM this display card has?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Everymac says 2MB.

<a href="http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac/stats/powermac_9500_200.html"; target="_blank">http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac/stats/powermac_9500_200.html</a>;
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    You can even upgrade the VRAM on that card to 4MB I think... that's what I did to my 9500 waaay back when Now it sits in the corner running an Avid, and not getting booked enough. Damn recession....
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    THNX for the info. There was no info on 'Apple-History.com' on the VRAM. I've been running the 9500 for about a week now and it does everything I can ask for, WP, Excel, Photoshop 4, Browsing, Email, WebRadio you name it. It has the fabulous Extended Keyboard and I can plug in my old ADB printer and SCSI scanner. It's no Autobahn hench the codename but fine as 2nd computer.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bernardbernard Posts: 59member
    easy: it has for slots for 1024k only vram dimms. if you have 2 filled then you have 2, 4 filled you have 4. if you dont have 4 and need more buy a PCI vid card and dont waster oyur money on the ram dimm's.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by bernard:

<strong>easy: it has for slots for 1024k only vram dimms. if you have 2 filled then you have 2, 4 filled you have 4. if you dont have 4 and need more buy a PCI vid card and dont waster oyur money on the ram dimm's.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 9500 didn't have on-board video. The 9500 actually shipped with a stock ATI PCI card, and you could add a VRAM daughter card to it in order to increase the VRAM.

The 8500 had on-board video, and it had two VRAM slots to increase it's on-board video memory.

If you want to upgrade the video card, I've got a Rage 128 Orion (16MB) and a Rage 128 VR (16MB) with TV Tuner for sale Both PCI cards...