Apple invention adjusts display brightness according to on-screen content

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

THINKING of doing it is totally irrelevant. Patents are awarded on the basis of reduction to practice. You can think of things all day, but if you don't reduce them to practice, it's not patentable (at least in theory - I'm sure the patent office occasionally makes mistakes).

Hold on.  You're moving the goalposts AGAIN?   Who's talking about patents?   You asked why pinch-zoom wasn't obvious... and everyone told you it's been around for decades.  Then you asked why didn't others implement it, and I replied to that.

Btw, Apple doesn't have a patent on multi-touch or basic pinch-to-zoom, so now I'm really confused as what you're talking about.

I'm not going to get into whether it was obvious or not because I'm not familiar enough with the technology to know. I do know, however, that your statement is false.

Which statement?  And how do you know it's "false", if you're not familiar with the technology? 

• Reply 22 of 29

No it is not simply auto brightness, my GS2 has an option saying "Auto adjust screen power: Save power by analysing image and adjusting LCD brightness". This is in addition to an auto brightness option.

• Reply 23 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

You're probably talking about automatic brightness level depending on the ambient light.  (Unless perhaps they have a similar algorithm for AMOLEDs to lessen burnout.) 

No it is not simply auto brightness, my GS2 has an option saying "Auto adjust screen power: Save power by analysing image and adjusting LCD brightness". This is in addition to an auto brightness option.

• Reply 24 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by agk71 View Post

My apologies (and I'm sure those of TS as well).  You are correct.   Here is your GS2 option:

I was fooled by the lead AI article description.  I should've known better than to rely on it.  Mea culpa.  I should've gone straight to read the patent claims first, like I usually do.  Now I have.

It has nothing do with looking at the content itself, nor even necessarily has anything to do with a phone.  It seems like it would apply more to something like Apple TV and its remote control, and probably not even that.

It's about adjusting a display's brightness level depending on the media server's user settings for each predetermined content type.  

"A method for conserving power by controlling display intensity of a display device incorporated in a power limited portable electronic device for identified content to be displayed on the display device, the content having a content type associated therewith, wherein an external device wirelessly coupled to the portable electronic device determines the content type of the identified content and identifies a user preference set for the determined content type, the method comprising: receiving at the portable electronic device from the external device a brightness level for the identified content determined by the external device, wherein the brightness level for the identified content to be displayed is determined based on the identified user preference and determined content type associated with the identified content; and after receiving the brightness level at the portable electronic device, adjusting an output intensity level for the display device of the portable electronic device based on the brightness level received."

• Reply 25 of 29
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Hold on.  You're moving the goalposts AGAIN?   Who's talking about patents?   You asked why pinch-zoom wasn't obvious... and everyone told you it's been around for decades.  

Right. So there's a thread about an Apple patent. Someone brings up the claim that Apple has lots of patents on things that are obvious and cites pinch to zoom as an example. Yet the discussion about pinch to zoom had absolutely nothing to do with patents.

Just like the earlier thread where you argued that sales were not important and activation numbers should be considered - and then later switched to arguing that sales was the important number.

Do they offer degrees in flip-flopping? If so, you'd have an advanced degree.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    I love this feature in current devices
  • Reply 27 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Just like the earlier thread where you argued that sales were not important and activation numbers should be considered - and then later switched to arguing that sales was the important number.

I think you owe me an apology, sir.    I did no such thing.   

What I posted in that thread originally was a simple explanation in response to someone who didn't understand why the sales figures didn't match the activation figures.   You can read my post right here.

I never argued that sales were not important.  In fact, quite the opposite.   I later opined that they were better figures to use in debates than carrier activations, which are misleading.

I suspect you remembered anonymouse's typically twisted version instead of the real messages.

--

As for this thread, I owe you an apology, because I see now that I mixed up your responses with Rogifan's.  I was replying while listening on a conference call, and didn't notice the change in authorship.

Apparently both of us are guilty of not paying close attention at times!

• Reply 28 of 29
    This 'patent' sounds like the issue here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1484132

that has become a major drawback of the iPad 4 when watching videos...
    Guess that wasn't such a good idea!
  • Reply 29 of 29
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

If this does end up being implemented similar to the distracting HDTV backlight adjustments, I will disable it on my devices.

Tallest Skil View Post

Blah blah, natural progression, blah blah, everyone was femtoseconds away from doing it…

I'm frigging sick of this nonsense.

Tallest Skil View Post

[Obligatory post where I ask the obvious question again, specifically to you, and await an answer.]

Skil has gone full meta; I recommend a vacation from forums.