Verizon planned to make Siri an Android exclusive before Apple purchase

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2020
Before Apple swooped in to purchase Siri, U.S. carrier Verizon was working on a deal that would make the intelligent voice-controlled assistant exclusive to Android devices on its network.

The details were revealed in a look at the history of Siri, published this week by the Huffington Post. Author Bianca Bosker revealed that Verizon actually signed a deal with Siri in the fall of 2009 months before Apple bought the company.

Siri

That deal would have made Siri a built-in application for handsets on its network running the Android mobile operating system. Siri would have come preinstalled on all Android devices the carrier launched in 2010.

But before that could become a reality, Apple bought Siri and made the feature exclusive to Apple devices. Apple's purchase nixed the deal Verizon had already made with Siri.

Siri exclusivity on Verizon and Android was apparently so close to becoming a reality that there are unreleased commercials made by the carrier that show off Siri as an Android feature.

Siri eventually debuted in late 2011 as a built-in feature on the iPhone 4S. Apple's purchase of Siri first became known publicly in April of 2010.

While Siri started out as an iPhone-exclusive feature, it has since expanded to the iPad and iPod touch. The voice-controlled assistant offers information such as weather, dictation, sports scores, calendar entries and more.

Keep up with all the Apple news with your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," -- or bookmark this link --and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Snooze you loose....

• Reply 2 of 50

I'm curious how many users actually get a lot of value out of Siri.  It's not a bad idea, and it has certainly gotten better (and will continue to do so).  But at the current stage...do a lot of you guys use it frequently and get much out of it?

I myself never really use it after exploring it for a bit.  I found it sort of cumbersome for getting things done.  But, I might not represent the broader Apple base...

• Reply 3 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Wow!
  • Reply 4 of 50
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wubbus View Post

I'm curious how many users actually get a lot of value out of Siri.  It's not a bad idea, and it has certainly gotten better (and will continue to do so).  But at the current stage...do a lot of you guys use it frequently and get much out of it?

Yup. For reminders, appointments, etc. Talking and no typing. Works for me.   *shrugs*

• Reply 5 of 50

My wife and I use it all the time. It takes a little bit of time for it to create a profile for your voice. I'd say use it regularly for a month or so and pretty smooth sailing from there. Neither of us have accents either so that benefits us also.

• Reply 6 of 50
    Awww, come on. Apple's highly innovative, not a corporte behemoth that buys innovation out of competitors.

Innovate, don't litigate, Android.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    wubbus wrote: »

I myself never really use it after exploring it for a bit.  I found it sort of cumbersome for getting things done.  But, I might not represent the broader Apple base...

It's great for posting to forums like this… while surfing on my iPad in bed.

I also use it all the time to get sports scores and schedules... On the couch in front of the tube. It's amazing how well it does filtering out the background noise coming from the TV.

I frequently use the dictation feature on the Mac too.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    I wont respond to the troll that thinks Apple is the only company that buys technology from another and includes it as part of it overall product scheme. I use Siri to call someone in my address book, look up an address mostly. I don't use my iPhone so much still I prefer a landline to make calls and use my iPhone when not at home or work, I guess that makes me old?
  • Reply 9 of 50
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

I use it all the time. It's much easier than typing something out on the iPhone's keypad.
  • Reply 10 of 50

Quote:

All good points....yes, it's by no means perfect. But I do use it a lot. To be able to not open the iphone, just hold down the home button, hear the Siri "start" sound and just say, "Text Alex, (daughter), I'm on my way," w/o having to type it is really great. Same thing with reminders, notes, placing phone calls, etc.

I especially like the Siri integration with maps, Siri, "Directions to the Pink Pepper in Scottsdale?" And the maps program is up and running showing me the way. I was using the TomTom App but I like how simple Maps is. Have not had any problems with it. 

P.S. I was like you when I first got it....but the more I use it the more I like it. Don't get me wrong, a lot of trial and error as far as asking the right requests. But a lot better than typing everything. Good luck! :)

• Reply 11 of 50

Siri was developed by The Stanford Research Institute. Forstall and several other NeXT and Apple Stanford Grads had connections with SRI.

Like XEROX PARC this is a storied history of tech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SRI_International_spin-offs

• Reply 12 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I wont respond to the troll that thinks Apple is the only company that buys technology from another and includes it as part of it overall product scheme...

You just did. Duh.

• Reply 13 of 50
    I use it for about everything it does, appointments, search (especially search), directions, alarms, notifications, texting, emailing, dictating, etc. Siri is interwoven into my daily routine, it has been a great addition to my routine.
  • Reply 14 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I wont respond to the troll that thinks Apple is the only company that buys technology from another and includes it as part of it overall product scheme. I use Siri to call someone in my address book, look up an address mostly. I don't use my iPhone so much still I prefer a landline to make calls and use my iPhone when not at home or work, I guess that makes me old?

Yep, kind of does! :)

With my iPad 2, I ordered all my magazines, WSJ, and local paper online. I espoused on these boards how much I was doing in helping the planet. I have gone back to the paper product because I enjoy reading the newspapers and magazines better than on the iPad. I'm right with you....old, too! :)

P.S. I recycle everything! Drives my GF nuts! :)

• Reply 15 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

I use it for about everything it does, appointments, search (especially search), directions, alarms, notifications, texting, emailing, dictating, etc. Siri is interwoven into my daily routine, it has been a great addition to my routine.

Sounds good. It will also set the Timer automatically...."Set timer to three minutes." (Poached eggs) and I like it to open an App. Siri, "Open Chase app." And, bingo it works! Pretty cool :)

My GF is always asking me to ask Siri, "How tall is Tom Brady?" Or, "How old is Tom Brady?" Not so cool! :(

P.S. Good point on the Search use. I prefer to search on my iPhone more than on my iMac because of Siri! :)

• Reply 16 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

My wife and I use Siri every day in our business and especially when driving. Remembering pre-Siri to us is like pre cell phones, can't imagine life without her.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member

Yes, I make all my calls through Siri, set up reminders, appointments, and alarms with it (it is especially useful for location reminders such as "Remind me about umbrella when I leave."), get it to tell me the time and weather forecast in plain sunlight (raise to speak), write notes, and control iTunes when I want to search for a particular artist, album, or song.
  • Reply 18 of 50

I use Siri for the weather all the time. Right when I get up she lets me know whether I need a light or heavier jacket. I use her to tweet and text because it is pretty quick. Reminders are really good with Siri. "Siri remind me tomorrow at 5 pm that I have practice at 7 pm." She gets the context and the times correct. Sports scores work well for various pro and college sports which is pretty good. If you say something like "What was the Kings score last night?" she knows there's the NBA Kings and the NHL Kings and she'll ask you which one you meant.

I was in Barnes & Noble a couple weeks ago (it's now closed down..how sad) and I saw a How to Use Siri or something book and it was about 200 pages. There's apparently so much you can do with it that you have to really dig in.

Keep in mind that most people I would imagine aren't using her at work. I use her in the car and at home and sometimes when I'm out in the world. It is still a little awkward to command the phone when in close quarters with others.

-- EDIT: and this was my 100th post image

• Reply 19 of 50

Quote:

Siri is shockingly convenient and much faster than doing certain things manually.  It's great for texting ("text my wife that I'm heading home").  It's a LOT easier for setting reminders or alarms ("wake me up at 6 am tomorrow" or "remind me to make a doctors appointment for tomorrow morning").  It takes a fraction of time and effort, versus tapping and typing.

• Reply 20 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Yes, I make all my calls through Siri, set up reminders, appointments, and alarms with it (it is especially useful for location reminders such as "Remind me about umbrella when I leave."), get it to tell me the time and weather forecast in plain sunlight (raise to speak), write notes, and control iTunes when I want to search for a particular artist, album, or song.

I'd forgotten about "Raise to Speak!" Very cool, Thanks.