Reservations for unique 'Mailbox' iOS email client go live weeks ahead of launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Warning !!!

I saw  a FB web site reference when this was loading.

Regardless, being free it has to be a spyware app.  Using Gmail makes it double spyware.

I wouldn't install it for any amount of gifts!

• Reply 22 of 33
    If that's true them as the intermediary then I'll pass. Don't want to add another bodies reading my emails. Enough with Google ads, Google-sponsored spam and FBI etc. already. I received e-mails and I read it. No need to make it a to do list. Life is short to delay things.
  • Reply 23 of 33

I agree and am also intrigued. Not only will this help them get a feel for the demand, but it's also a nice way to market their product.

• Reply 24 of 33

Hi I am wondering how this app works if it is a good app to give my phone number to does it work aol or does it just work for Gmail? image

• Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There goes any interest I might have ever had in it.

Mine too. Sounded halfway decent until that little revelation.

For those who are otherwise interested, but don't want to give their phone number, will it work with a Google Voice number?
  • Reply 26 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Another developer want to cash in. It seems the current trend is to develop an app with attractive UI then hype it. Next, wait for Google, Apple, MS, or others to buy your new creation. Repeat.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple & Google both take interest in this one, Microsoft is probably totally unaware of any such service.  This would make a very nice addition to both iPhone & OS X but it would only be useful to me if it supported my corporate exchange service & was somehow integrated with VIP (also icloud too).  It's a nifty idea but not one I will be waiting in line for, I already have a good enough system for getting through my hundreds of e-mails a day so I'm not about to spend money or take a gamble on something that only supports an e-mail service I don't use.  

• Reply 27 of 33
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Regardless, being free it has to be a spyware app.  Using Gmail makes it double spyware.

Yes, I'm sure a company is going to illegally trawl through millions of emails just to get to that incredibly sensitive and important piece of information that you send through a Gmail account. WTF are you gonna send through any email server that is THAT important or sensitive?

Despite what you might think, companies aren't that interested in the content of the emails that you send and receive.

• Reply 28 of 33
    1. So it needs to access my mail to make my life easier, sounds fine. It's not like I email people my bank accounts or send them pictures of my private parts.
    2. It says it does everything through the cloud, so it won't be taking too much space on my phone. That means that while I wait for further support of other mail services I'm okay with gmail only.
    3. I gave them my phone number. After I paid so much for the actual iphone, a few more cents in charges for those TWO text messages won't hurt.

So I will NOT pass, as long as they don't end up asking me to pay $15 for the service.

You guys need to be a little more flexible with the security paranoia if you want companies to make your lives easier.
    What? All of a sudden you trust big corporations like Apple over small startups that try to make a living by coming up with great ideas to make your day a little more convenient? How do you know there isn't an Apple employee going through your emails right now as we speak?
  • Reply 29 of 33
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Despite what you might think, companies aren't that interested in the content of the emails that you send and receive.

It's amazing that there are still people as naive (or perhaps you're purposely trying to mislead?) as you appear to be.

Companies like Google, Facebook and a whole bunch of their ilk are exactly and specifically interested in the content of every single email you send and receive.  That is their business.  Their entire freakin' business model is based on not only knowing the content of all of your emails (and searches, etc.), but abstracting that content in very clever ways so it can be sliced and diced for efficient monetization.  Every Single Word you type into gmail is carefully analyzed and stored forever, regardless of whether or not you delete it. That's enough to keep me from ever touching gmail.

• Reply 30 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziadjk View Post

3. I gave them my phone number. After I paid so much for the actual iphone, a few more cents in charges for those TWO text messages won't hurt.

So I will NOT pass, as long as they don't end up asking me to pay $15 for the service.

You guys need to be a little more flexible with the security paranoia if you want companies to make your lives easier.

What? All of a sudden you trust big corporations like Apple over small startups that try to make a living by coming up with great ideas to make your day a little more convenient? How do you know there isn't an Apple employee going through your emails right now as we speak?

re 3: Do you honestly think people aren't signing up because they don't want to pay a few more cents for 2 text messages?  Wow, you're either incredibly cheap or you think other people are.  The truth is, people are not going to give this upstart company their phone number because they don't want them to have their phone number, duh!  

Seriously, this product looks like it has some great features, and I guess I'm not half as cheap as you are, because if they charged $15 for the app I'd pay for it in a heartbeat, as long as I could use it with my existing self-hosted email, and nothing flows through their servers.  Gmail is just a thinly veiled spyware service already, I'm certainly not going to let another relatively unknown company sift through all my email too.

"Security paranoia", as you call it, is better known as "common sense" in many circles.  "Making your lives easier" sounds great in a brochure, but sucking down all my personal communication FOR NO GOOD REASON is unacceptable.  Every function that I read about here could be done easily without any intermediate server.  If I had some extra time I'd be tempted to build a copycat app to do just that.

I'm glad to see that most of the folks posting here are paying attention to what's behind the curtain.

• Reply 31 of 33

I agree making a better email client is a great goal, especially one with social task delegation. I'm in the midst of security reviews right now and this question is coming up in audit documents "Does your company use any third-party email storage, backup, syndication or task management software?" We removed all Blackberry servers from the enterprise for this reason. I love startups, I support them but if there is a backward step with an implementation, we need to call it out. 

http://taskbox.co http://humailapp.com and more new apps are on the horizon but security is getting even more important. Especially for startups, I think it's getting to easy to put in a password and say "Grant Access". Mobile has made things so easy, maybe too easy. We will just have to wait and see what the up sell is, after they get the first 50K users I'm sure Mailbox will start to promote something that we might want, the question is do we need it?

• Reply 32 of 33
    blah64 wrote: »
    Wow, you're either incredibly cheap or you think other people are.

Doesn't take a genius to see the sarcasm in my comment about the text messages.

Actually, to some, $15 seems too much for a mail sorting app. You must be wealthy.

Until I get my identity stolen by google or what ever, I'm still going to think of it as paranoia. What can they do with my oh, so valuable emails? Send me deals that are tailored for me? Oh the crime!

Just my opinion.

By the way, if you disagree with me I will be courteous and read what you have to say, then respond, or not. You don't need to call me cheap or what not. Doesn't hurt anyway.
  • Reply 33 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Wow, you're either incredibly cheap or you think other people are.

Doesn't take a genius to see the sarcasm in my comment about the text messages.

By the way, if you disagree with me I will be courteous and read what you have to say, then respond, or not. You don't need to call me cheap or what not. Doesn't hurt anyway.

I find it ironic, in a funny way, to compare my snide response with your snide response about snide responses.  Heh.

Frankly, I wasn't reading it as sarcasm or anything in particular, I just responded quickly, with the main point being that there are very different attitudes these days about giving out phone numbers.  Look how many other people in this thread (that aren't necessarily privacy advocates, as I am), said "no way".  That heartens me.  Given that for many people, a phone number is immediately identifiable with you as an individual and not trivially changed, giving it willy-nilly to any random startup seems crazy, to me.

Until I get my identity stolen by google or what ever, I'm still going to think of it as paranoia. What can they do with my oh, so valuable emails? Send me deals that are tailored for me? Oh the crime!

That's like saying: until I get a cavity, I'm not going to bother to brush my teeth.  Or better, until I get shot in a shopping mall, I think laws about gun-free zones are paranoia.  Holy crap, use some judgement and look at trajectories of where things are headed, not what you've experienced in your own very limited life.

You think your emails are not valuable.  Google thinks otherwise.  Who do you think is right?  I guarantee they are.  

I started typing out a bunch of examples, but I'm going to save them for another post, another time.  I feel like it would be wasted effort here/now.