Apple earnings come in flat at $13.1B on sales of 47.8M iPhones, 22.9M iPads and 4.1M Macs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 157

We are in the middle of a huge world wide recession where pretty much every other company in the same market is haemorrhaging money like there is no tomorrow but when Apple come in with a record quarter this is somehow not good enough... I really don't know what people expect Apple to do?

• Reply 22 of 157
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

Best quarter ever! stock tanks

Makes sense

Sadly, the performance of a stock is based on relative rather than absolute performance. In absolute terms and in its own right, the quarter was awe-inspiring. But in relative terms (particularly relative to unreasonable expectations), it was at best meh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

It'll be up tomorrow.

I hope so. But I doubt it, unless Cook and Oppenheimer say something unexpectedly positive in the teleconference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendisease View Post

This is depressing. I really hope they plan to buy back shares, split the stock, or something to boost the stock!

I hope not, at least not a buyback. It's short term gimmick with no long term value. Hang tight, mate.

• Reply 23 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

who cares, since revenue and profit is going up? Do you at least know what you are talking about? Then we have this P/E... It's hillarious.

It's not hilarious. Gross Margin is down from 44% to 38% That's a serious move. 2-3% would have been more in line. Stocks trade on forward potential, not past results - Apple may have had an ungodly quarter, but the future doesn't look as exponential; that's the key.

• Reply 24 of 157

Quote:

who cares, since revenue and profit is going up? Do you at least know what you are talking about? Then we have this P/E... It's hillarious.

So you are saying that those 2 things didn't happen?

Besides... it wasn't me that I'm talking about. The person I was replying to was wondering why the stock was going down. I mentioned 2 reasons why. Just so you know... I don't control the price of AAPL.

So, yes, I do know what I am talking about.

On that note, you mentioned that profit went up. No it didn't from last holiday quarter. It's probably to do with that margin thing. Do you know what you are talking about.

• Reply 25 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    edit: Pipped by thataveragejoe and island hermit.
  • Reply 26 of 157
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

22 million iPads? As Quadra just said those sales are skyrocketing. All things considered it's a great, great quarter but apparently that isn't enough.

After hours the stock is down almost 5%. It'll probably regain a little but that is a lot of red right now.

I'm not sure wtf people expect of this company. 

They hit *another* record quarter in a long, long string of them, and it still isn't good enough. 

??

• Reply 27 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

It'll be up tomorrow.

They inflated the targets to drive down the price so they can come in tomorrow and buy up much greater control of the outstanding shares. It's an institutional run.

• Reply 28 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

22 million iPads? As Quadra just said those sales are skyrocketing. All things considered it's a great, great quarter but apparently that isn't enough.

After hours the stock is down almost 5%. It'll probably regain a little but that is a lot of red right now.

EPS is flat year over year. To some, that's enough of a red flag. After all, investors are already jittery over $AAPL.

• Reply 29 of 157
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Tim is starting to sound like a broken record.
  • Reply 30 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

edit: Pipped by thataveragejoe and island hermit.

No, it means the investments of infrastructure is the reason for the net profit to be down. Apple is increasing R&D, construction of campuses and data centers to new stores all well in excess of $7 billion.

Apple Cupertino campus will run around $4.5 Billion alone. Sorry, but the ignorance of the average consumer to not see the deliberate attempt at garnering greater institutional control of the direction of Apple still seems like a bad dream.

• Reply 31 of 157
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

hillarious! 13 billion in profit and the stock will lose at least 15%... lol

Yep. I'm watching BITV right now and almost every commenter starts off by saying "any other company would kill for these numbers." Then they proceed to whine and moan about Apple missing estimates. In layman's terms they're saying "Apple is making money hand over fist, and selling the crap out of everything they make, but it ain't good enough for us." In the same breath, however, they marvel at how low Apple's P/E is, how cheap the stock is, and how they don't understand why the price isn't higher. They sound like idiots when they explain Apple.

• Reply 31 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjanders View Post

Apple's stock will skyrocket in the morning. They had a fantastic quarter.

hold your pants.  just wait it it hits $450.

• Reply 33 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

They inflated the targets to drive down the price so they can come in tomorrow and buy up much greater control of the outstanding shares. It's an institutional run.

I wonder if how true that is.

Part of me believes it must be true. But here's the thing. It's rather remarkable how close "the Street" was to the real numbers. Really remarkable. Arguably, their predictions are sufficiently limited in science that you'd expect the market to be forgiving if the real numbers are slightly below expectations. But, regardless, if the analysts are so good that they are make projections that are just slightly above the real numbers so as to drive down the stock, then they are veritable geniuses.

• Reply 34 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    On these results it's more important than ever for Apple to release a multitude of different sized phones that are much, much cheaper because on news of a reduced profit margins the answer is surely dropping the margins even further¡
  • Reply 35 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

2 things being looked at:

1. Q2 projection is below analysts projections

2. Margins have dipped considerably

Very important points indeed. Having said that, doesn't Apple always provide guidance lower than analysts' projections? But the second point is critical. EPS did not improve at all y/y. Is this due to the free iPhone4 or the lower margin of iPad Mini? In either case, the trend may continue.

• Reply 36 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

EPS is flat year over year. To some, that's enough of a red flag. After all, investors are already jittery over $AAPL.

Right, because the 1000%+ increase since 1998 wasn't at any point along the way possibly a sense of the jitters to investors? Get real. This stock is nothing but a wet dream for hedge fund owners and day traders.

Paying to place false stories making outlandish targets a week before the numbers are officially out makes it rather clear Apple has at least 1 mole inside Austin's Accounting Department leaking numbers to insider traders.

The DoJ and the SEC have 4 years to dig in deep and follow the money.

• Reply 37 of 157

I have nothing to add!

• Reply 38 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You really think so?

Up from where?

if it is around $450, i will jump in with all my cash...

• Reply 39 of 157
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 433member

Over 20 Bio eradicated.

Well, hate to say it, but the people who were a bit more realistic about Apple have the upper hand.

I'm amongst them and still I'm happy to say I love my new iMac 27'' , my iPhone, my MBAir, ...

and yet, something's definitely broken.

• Reply 40 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

It's not hilarious. Gross Margin is down from 44% to 38% That's a serious move. 2-3% would have been more in line. Stocks trade on forward potential, not past results - Apple may have had an ungodly quarter, but the future doesn't look as exponential; that's the key.

First of all GM was already guided and actual GM is in the upper range.

Second, relative to almost every other company AAPL's PE is still low.  Compare to GE and Amazon.  Show me a company with better potential (in terms of PE).

Third, your use of the word "exponential" is irrelevant.  Nobody is expecting exponential with relevance to AAPL and its share price.  It's just you who threw in that word as if it belongs anywhere in the context of this discussion.

But yes, I get your tone... and with regard to AAPL, it seems to be the predominant one.  But don't pretend that the market is not more sensitive/critical to AAPL than almost any other stock.