Apple earnings come in flat at $13.1B on sales of 47.8M iPhones, 22.9M iPads and 4.1M Macs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

On these results it's more important than ever for Apple to release a multitude of different sized phones that are much, much cheaper because on news of a reduced profit margins the answer is surely dropping the margins even further¡

I was thinking about that earlier. It puts Tim in a hard place if he wants to placate shareholders. Dropping prices aint going to cut it... obviously. So the only way is to innovate their way out of this.

Seriously.... didn't you expect at least 50 million iPhones. I've been saying 50 million for a while now and even missing by 2 million is disappointing to me.

• Reply 42 of 157
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member

And oh, BTW, the outlandish numbers come right from the heads of the supporters who still have this silly idea that iOS is marketleader...

Rough awakenings

• Reply 43 of 157

Wow.  This is absolutely horrible, and people here are still trying to spin this in some way positive?? 

Absolutely brutal results and guidance, in every way.

• Reply 44 of 157
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Right, because the 1000%+ increase since 1998 wasn't at any point along the way possibly a sense of the jitters to investors? Get real. This stock is nothing but a wet dream for hedge fund owners and day traders.

Paying to place false stories making outlandish targets a week before the numbers are officially out makes it rather clear Apple has at least 1 mole inside Austin's Accounting Department leaking numbers to insider traders.

The DoJ and the SEC have 4 years to dig in deep and follow the money.

Who looks at decade/decade in assessing performance in profitability? Not when it comes to valuing a stock in the present.

• Reply 45 of 157
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Funny how analysts are absolutely terrible at making projections for Apple. When they are proved wrong they don't get punished for their idiotic predictions. Apple shareholders pay the price for their stupidity. Imagine if they had been closer to the mark or even under. It is also not a new phenomenon,  they get it wrong (and by that I mean not even ballpark close) every single quarter. Something has to be done about this obvious stock manipulation and tampering. 

• Reply 46 of 157

I'm on the conference call right now. Tim is getting through the introductions.

He just used "laser-focused" ;)

• Reply 47 of 157
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    blitz1 wrote: »
    It's a miss...
    and the stock is being pummeled

As always, the goal posts keep shifting. Yesterday, the consensus was that Apple's profits would be down 2%. Apple exceeded that consensus - and everyone goes ape$hit because they're not up 15% from last year.

The next quarter projection is not that far off from where they've been - and still amounts to an increase from last year (while most of the computer industry is declining at double digit rates).

Mac sales? Of course they were off. They weren't selling the iMac for most of the quarter and it was severely constrained for the few weeks it was out. That was the biggest error Apple has made for a long time. They should have continued to sell the old one while waiting for the new.

As it is, you have a company that's still leading the industry by far, incredibly loyal customers, growing while most of the industry is shrinking, superb margins, and most innovative products on the market trading at a forward, cash adjusted PE of below 7. It's just absolutely ridiculous. I think I'm going to buy more AAPL tomorrow.
  • Reply 48 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

And oh, BTW, the outlandish numbers come right from the heads of the supporters who still have this silly idea that iOS is marketleader...

Rough awakenings

and it is, on every relevant metric.

Are you retarded?

• Reply 49 of 157
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    2011, actually.

What year is this? Subtract 2 from that.
  • Reply 50 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

But yes, I get your tone... and with regard to AAPL, it seems to be the predominant one.  But don't pretend that the market is not more sensitive/critical to AAPL than almost any other stock.

Quite honestly, $AAPL is hardly the most "sensitive" or volatile stock. Hardly

• Reply 51 of 157

You really think so?

Up from where?

Up from where it closed at 4 today
  • Reply 52 of 157
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I bought a few extra shares of AAPL last week. And today right before close, I was just sitting around, smoking a joint, and a little voice pops into my head. It tells me, don't be a moron and don't be emotionally attached to any stock, no matter how much you may like it, sell it now for a guaranteed small profit, instead of taking a big risk, like a degenerate, alcoholic gambler in Las Vegas. Wall Street's expectations for Apple are so ridiculously high, that almost anything besides absolute blowout numbers are a disappointment. So after a few more puffs, I sold, and I am sure glad that I did. 

I no longer invest exclusively in Apple, like I did when I first started. Frankly, I don't give a crap about which company that I put my money into for short term positions. The only thing that counts for me is if the stock goes up or down.

• Reply 53 of 157
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

On these results it's more important than ever for Apple to release a multitude of different sized phones that are much, much cheaper because on news of a reduced profit margins the answer is surely dropping the margins even further¡

Considering Q4 2012 was one week shorter than Q4 2011 this is good result

• Reply 54 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I was thinking about that earlier. It puts Tim in a hard place if he wants to placate shareholders. Dropping prices aint going to cut it... obviously. So the only way is to innovate their way out of this.

Seriously.... didn't you expect at least 50 million iPhones. I've been saying 50 million for a while now and even missing by 2 million is disappointing to me.

Absolutely, more emphasis on innovation and less bean counting.

And yes, low iPhones to me was the biggest surprise.

• Reply 55 of 157
    davemcm76 wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">We are in the middle of a huge world wide recession where pretty much every other company in the same market is </span>
    <span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:115%;font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">haemorrhaging </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">money like there is no tomorrow but when Apple come in with a record quarter this is somehow not good enough... </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">I really don't know what people expect Apple to do?</span>

You clearly have no clue. Corporate profits are at multi decade highs. Stop talking if you don't know what you're talking about.
  • Reply 56 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Up from where it closed at 4 today

you can't be serious.  looking at all the reactions everywhere institutions and retailers are going to stampede out the same door even more so tomorrow than what's happening already.

• Reply 57 of 157
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

What bullshit.  

AppleInsider: "Apple Earnings Flat ..."

Actual Facts: "Apple Posts Record 13.1 Billon Profit ..."  

• Reply 58 of 157

Good signs: ASP of iPhone is stable at $640. Cash is not only growing but growing fast as a fraction of valuation. These are really good signs.

Sure, lower GM is scaring some people. But bearing in mind that iPad Mini and iPhone 5 remain new, with iPhone 5 already notorious for being hard to build. This is bound to improve.

• Reply 59 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Quite honestly, $AAPL is hardly the most "sensitive" or volatile stock. Hardly

Oh please...take that in context.  Of course there are more volatile stocks.

But if you want to continue that discussion, then which stocks are more volatile in this class (with regard to market capitalization, cash flow, revenue, etc.)?

• Reply 60 of 157
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

and it is, on every relevant metric.

Are you retarded?

Check your facts.

BTW: stock is now -30USD.

Who's retarded?