Apple earnings come in flat at $13.1B on sales of 47.8M iPhones, 22.9M iPads and 4.1M Macs

Comments

• Reply 61 of 157
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

What bullshit.  

AppleInsider: "Apple Earnings Flat ..."

Actual Facts: "Apple Posts Record 13.1 Billon Profit ..."  

Flat year over year. Not BS at all.

• Reply 62 of 157
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    I'm not sure wtf people expect of this company. 

They hit *another* record quarter in a long, long string of them, and it still isn't good enough. 

??

This wasn't a record quarter. Do you people even read the news before posting?
  • Reply 63 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

It's not hilarious. Gross Margin is down from 44% to 38% That's a serious move. 2-3% would have been more in line. Stocks trade on forward potential, not past results - Apple may have had an ungodly quarter, but the future doesn't look as exponential; that's the key.

It's down because of the expenses related to creating what amounted to essentially new phones and computers. This also represents what happened LAST quarter. Keep that in mind as you run and hide from the falling sky.

God help us in a world where 38% margins are considered a disaster.

• Reply 64 of 157
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kingchael wrote: »
    Wow.  This is absolutely horrible, and people here are still trying to spin this in some way positive?? 

Absolutely brutal results and guidance, in every way.

Ridiculous.

"Brutal results"? Everyone was predicting that profit would be a few percent below last year. Instead, they matched last year's profits.

"Brutal guidance"? They're projecting profits just slightly higher than last year for next quarter. Most computer companies would kill for that.

And the stock is now at a P/E ratio that would be appropriate for a company with no future and no hope of ever succeeding again.
  • Reply 65 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I bought a few extra shares of AAPL last week. And today right before close, I was just sitting around, smoking a joint, and a little voice pops into my head. It tells me, don't be a moron and don't be emotionally attached to any stock, no matter how much you may like it, sell it now for a guaranteed small profit, instead of taking a big risk, like a degenerate, alcoholic gambler in Las Vegas. Wall Street's expectations for Apple are so ridiculously high, that almost anything besides absolute blowout numbers are a disappointment. So after a few more puffs, I sold, and I am sure glad that I did. 

I no longer invest exclusively in Apple, like I did when I first started. Frankly, I don't give a crap about which company that I put my money into for short term positions. The only thing that counts for me is if the stock goes up or down.

Did you use your returns to buy Netflix?

• Reply 66 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Seriously.... didn't you expect at least 50 million iPhones. I've been saying 50 million for a while now and even missing by 2 million is disappointing to me.

Yes and no. 50 million seemed like a good target but to think it would be over 50 million seems like one of those artificial demarcation points us humans really like. They sold 47.8 million. I think that's amazing.

Note that this was a 13 weeks and the previous quarter YoY was 14 weeks. I have no idea how many extra days that is but I did the math based on weeks so I added 7.7% to the values. That would have made the profit $14.1 billion (still weak) and the the iPhone unit sales 51.48 million. You only need about 3 extra days to get over that magic 50 million iPhones hump.

edit: Corrected math.
  • Reply 67 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

This wasn't a record quarter. Do you people even read the news before posting?

Why wasn't it a record quarter? Tim Cook thought it was. Should I tell him to correct himself?

• Reply 68 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    What bullshit.  

AppleInsider: "Apple Earnings Flat ..."

Actual Facts: "Apple Posts Record 13.1 Billon Profit ..."  

Year over year they were flat.
  • Reply 69 of 157
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Did you use your returns to buy Netflix?

Unfortunately not. image Yeah, I saw that Netflix popped like crazy after their earnings report.

• Reply 70 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Check your facts.

BTW: stock is now -30USD.

Who's retarded?

you, obviously. Only a gigantic idiot would say what you said based on stupid people without qualifications manipulating the stock market.

Market share is at most 60/40 (world)

Developer interest on iOS over Android was never as big, the difference in quality/performance between iOS devices and android devices was never as big, etc.

Only someone very stupid would say what you said.

• Reply 71 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Ridiculous.

"Brutal results"? Everyone was predicting that profit would be a few percent below last year. Instead, they matched last year's profits.

"Brutal guidance"? They're projecting profits just slightly higher than last year for next quarter. Most computer companies would kill for that.

And the stock is now at a P/E ratio that would be appropriate for a company with no future and no hope of ever succeeding again.

why are you still comparing AAPL to any other company?  the market does not care one bit about such a comparison or meaningless P/E for tech companies, isn't it obvious by now? 

flat earning, < 50mil IPs, GMs smashed, no EPS guidance.. as if there aren't enough negatives, Apple has to throw out a new uncertainty with the latter.. the market hates that. 

• Reply 72 of 157

ASP of iPads went down from $535 to $467, a drop of $68. Given that the difference in the starting prices of iPad and iPad Mini is $170, this might suggest more Mini's were sold.

• Reply 73 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Unfortunately not. image Yeah, I saw that Netflix popped like crazy after their earnings report.

Projected loss of 27 cents turned into a profit of 13 cents. Yeah, that will pop a few cherries.

• Reply 74 of 157
    AAPL came in 2.5B over their estimate. That is not a miss. Analysts are always wrong.
  • Reply 75 of 157
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Even as I play with 95% "house money" (I'm very long) this is starting to get tiresome.
  • Reply 76 of 157
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 433member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

you, obviously. Only a gigantic idiot would say what you said based on stupid people without qualifications manipulating the stock market.

Market share is at most 60/40 (world)

Developer interest on iOS over Android was never as big, the difference in quality/performance between iOS devices and android devices was never as big, etc.

Only someone very stupid would say what you said.

Your facts are from the wrong universe.

60/40?

• Reply 77 of 157

While the call is going the after hours keeps decreasing. Pretty depressing.

Pete is saying that they're providing more transparency to their guidance.

What's most surprising is that I hear paper rustling as if he's turning a page while reading off the script. I'd think they'd be using iPads for their scripts.

• Reply 78 of 157
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Absolutely, more emphasis on innovation and less bean counting.

And yes, low iPhones to me was the biggest surprise.

29% INCREASE in sales is "low"?

• Reply 79 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Your facts are from the wrong universe.

60/40?

Yes, 500 million iOS devices, how many Android devices? Are you stupid or some sort of idiot? Can't you read or find information?

What is wrong with you? irrational troll.

• Reply 80 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

ASP of iPads went down from $535 to $467, a drop of $68. Given that the difference in the starting prices of iPad and iPad Mini is $170, this might suggest more Mini's were sold.

Yes, and this would be more concerning if total iPads is not dramatically increasing.  If not dramatically increasing, then mini's are cannabilizing iPads by a larger degree = really bad.