Attempting to decipher supply chain data is a fool's errand, Tim Cook says

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Responding to rumors out of Apple's supply chain that iPhone production has been cut, Apple CEO Tim Cook said Wednesday that it's inadvisable for market watchers to place much faith in such reports.

"The supply chain is very complex, and we obviously have multiple sources for things," Cook said during his company's quarterly earnings conference call. "Yields might vary, supplier performance might vary."

Cook

Cook implied that recent reports were based on a "single data point," and basing assumptions on limited data is not recommended, he said.

The CEO's comments were intentionally vague, though, because he said he didn't want to comment on a particular rumor, joking that he would be on the call for a long time if he went down that road.

"Even if a particular data point were factual, it would be impossible to interpret that data point as to what it meant for our business," he said.

Reports initially surfaced earlier this month, claiming that Apple had drastically cut iPhone orders as sales waned. But a number of market analysts quickly came to the defense of Apple, dismissing changes in orders as typical supply chain management rather than a reflection of actual demand for products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10

I guess we're back to individual threads for every comment in the call, eh?

• Reply 2 of 10
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Yep. I'm sure the jackassery will stop. Uh huh.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    In others words Tim sez; NUNYA!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    double post
  • Reply 5 of 10
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Then I think we should have ever increasing coverage of random badly-translated supply-chain rumors. A fool's errand they may be, but there are a LOT OF FOOLS out there. Don't ignore that market!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    nagromme wrote: »
    Then I think we should have ever increasing coverage of random badly-translated supply-chain rumors. A fool's errand they may be, but there are a LOT OF FOOLS out there. Don't ignore that market!

Fools, and the websites that slavishly feed them. And then there are the aggregator/referrer websites that copy the first website, shuffle the words around provocatively, and repost it for traffic.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    And yet there are several companies and private individuals who make millions every year accurately doing just that, so I guess what Tim is really saying here is "anyone that tries to see through my double speak is a fool." Yeah, ok.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    That was one of the dumbest questions on the call.
  • Reply 9 of 10

I don't understand why rumor websites need to cover these kind of crap.  If people want to see something new, how about reporters report something better?

What is this crap? Why are reporters being noisy about their business?  Let's focus on factual news that may be intriguing.

• Reply 10 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by koban4max View Post

I don't understand why rumor websites need to cover these kind of crap.  If people want to see something new, how about reporters report something better?

What is this crap? Why are reporters being noisy about their business?  Let's focus on factual news that may be intriguing.

Huh? Why do you think they're called rumor websites? image