Tim Cook: Apple's product pipeline is 'chock full' of 'incredible stuff'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Most android users don't use 90% of the features offered them because they don't know how to use the features or are just clueless.

On the other hand when Apple starts mobile payment a lot more fanfare will be made of it. Consumers will actually get behind the idea and use the system. Making everyone more money.

This can't be emphasized enough.  I recently bought a Nexus 7.  Sorry, I need one for development work.  It SUCKS.  I can't believe how hard it is to take your "life" on your computer and sync it to an Android device.  At first I thought it was me.  I read the 175 page manual, and still didn't really get it.  Android is a friggin mess, and that's exactly why market share and usage metrics are so radically disjointed.   

On my iPhones and iPads, I have all of my favorite photo albums, playlists, videos, apps, etc...   I have multiple iPads and iPhones and sync different content for my niece and nephew.  My iOS devices are usually full and I always buy the max capacity devices.

Once I went online and discovered how many people are asking about how to sync their life on their computer to their Android devices, I started asking people I knew with Androids to show me what they have on it.  Most have a spattering of apps, many replicate functionality of other apps they tried.  And most content is Android generated content....meaning photos they took with the device and other media they downloaded directly.

I'm really shocked at how difficult Android is to use.  Everything from seeing that the latest TiVo or CNN app isn't compatible with my Nexus 7 (which was released 9 months ago), to total UI inconsistencies, crashes, and other bull.

If Apple adopts NFC, they'll do it right, and people will use it.

• Reply 22 of 145
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    macslut wrote: »
    This can't be emphasized enough.  I recently bought a Nexus 7.  Sorry, I need one for development work.  It SUCKS.  I can't believe how hard it is to take your "life" on your computer and sync it to an Android device.  At first I thought it was me.  I read the 175 page manual, and still didn't really get it.  Android is a friggin mess, and that's exactly why market share and usage metrics are so radically disjointed.   

On my iPhones and iPads, I have all of my favorite photo albums, playlists, videos, apps, etc...   I have multiple iPads and iPhones and sync different content for my niece and nephew.  My iOS devices are usually full and I always buy the max capacity devices.

Once I went online and discovered how many people are asking about how to sync their life on their computer to their Android devices, I started asking people I knew with Androids to show me what they have on it.  Most have a spattering of apps, many replicate functionality of other apps they tried.  And most content is Android generated content....meaning photos they took with the device and other media they downloaded directly.

I'm really shocked at how difficult Android is to use.  Everything from seeing that the latest TiVo or CNN app isn't compatible with my Nexus 7 (which was released 9 months ago), to total UI inconsistencies, crashes, and other bull.

If Apple adopts NFC, they'll do it right, and people will use it.

Thanks for the report from behind the lines.

blackbook wrote: »
    Maybe a big NFC payment system is gonna be the BIG THING for them this year?

"I just want to say one word to you. Are you listening?"

"IGZO."
  • Reply 23 of 145

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Is it even legal to state this?

It's legal to screw with stocks that are more successful than any others in the history of human civilization while boosting stocks that will only explode in a TRUE bubble, and far more violently than the aforementioned stocks… 

So yeah, I figure it's legal to openly state your company's longstanding mission statement.

• Reply 24 of 145
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member

But is a mid range desktop Mac part of that incredible stuff?

• Reply 25 of 145

Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

But is a mid range desktop Mac part of that incredible stuff?

We get it. You want an xMac. They're never going to make you one. Thought you'd know that by now.

• Reply 26 of 145
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    We get it. You want an xMac. They're never going to make you one. Thought you'd know that by now.

But why not TS? Surely maybe they have super secret plans somewhere right TS?

Anyway, I am interested in what is in store especially with the news on this:

http://fudzilla.com/home/item/30242-haswell-with-gt3-graphics-comes-in-q3-13
  • Reply 27 of 145

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

But why not TS? Surely maybe they have super secret plans somewhere right TS?

I see a more powerful Mac Mini, fitting the bill of the people who want to bring their own monitor. I see an iMac that eventually becomes your all in one desktop multitouch solution. I see a new Mac Pro model of some sort because Tim Cook said so. 

I'm strongest in my belief of the second one and weakest in the third.

• Reply 28 of 145

It is great that Cook is addressing the concern many investors have re:that Apple does have a pipeline chockfull of new stuff, and his committment to the Apple brand as one of quality products which enrich people's lives.     He adds however we are not interested in revenue just for the sake of revenue.  I think what Cook is saying is that a company can make high quality products which enrich people's lives and make very high revenue, I hope this is what he meant, I will email him and investor relations at apple.   True abundance adds quality to the world and people's lives while making high profits.     Apple's financial fundamentals are excellent, but Cook out of respect for long-term investors must do more to protect the intrinsic value of the stock from all the stock manipulation going on with Apple.    Why not release a high quality product that adds to people's lives then high profits will follow, go for it Apple just do it rolemodelling positive prosperity.

• Reply 29 of 145

Cook's quote might mean something if he occasional commented that "Apple's product pipeline is sucking air right now, but our engineers are having a breakout session tomorrow!"

• Reply 30 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But they should build one.  That is the whole point.

• Reply 31 of 145

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

But they should build one.

No. Why?

• Reply 32 of 145
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    But they should build one.  That is the whole point.

What should the specs be? If it's a more powerful headless desktop that you want, take what's available now and put me together a machine and a cost.

Processor, memory, graphics, HDD/SSD options, etc. I love specs and I want to know what you'd price this thing at.
  • Reply 33 of 145
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Quote:

No. Why?

This is so simple, because their whole desktop line except for iMac is kicking the bucket.   Really both the Mini and Pro are slipping hard as far as sales go.   Neither of them is idea for what the majority of desktop users need or want.    

Apple may have convinced itself that desktop sales slide is the result of market dynamics.   In the case of the PC world this may be true but I don't believe this is the case in the Mac World.   In many ways both the Mini and the Pro are screwed up implementations that users reject in favor of other solutions.  

• Reply 34 of 145
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

I think this is easy!   Put a midrange GPU in the machine.    That is really the Minis biggest short coming.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

What should the specs be? If it's a more powerful headless desktop that you want, take what's available now and put me together a machine and a cost.

Processor, memory, graphics, HDD/SSD options, etc. I love specs and I want to know what you'd price this thing at.

Ideally the machine would come with a PCI based SSD card and maybe one or two conventional HD bays.    We aren't talking a massive machine here.   As such I would expect such a machine to come in at $1200 to $1500 range.  

• Reply 35 of 145

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is so simple, because their whole desktop line except for iMac is kicking the bucket.   Really both the Mini and Pro are slipping hard as far as sales go.   Neither of them is idea for what the majority of desktop users need or want.

But this isn't the case. The Mini sells well, and the Pro would if they cared about it. They're consciously not updating it, which means any appearance of a "lack of caring" is by design. Also by design is their stated promise of an update to it this year.

They don't need a screenless, mid-range desktop for any reason. That actually goes far and away against just about everything they've ever done as well as what their future looks to be.

• Reply 36 of 145
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

But this isn't the case. The Mini sells well, and the Pro would if they cared about it.

Workstations aren't a huge market by volume, but they are potentially profitable. The one thing that makes them seem a bit misalligned with Apple to me is that Apple generally avoids niche or specialized product lines. I always liked Shake, and they got rid of that.

• Reply 37 of 145

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I always liked Shake, and they got rid of that.

They've added part of Shake into Motion since, and I imagine they'll continue to do so. 

• Reply 38 of 145

Quote:

They've added part of Shake into Motion since, and I imagine they'll continue to do so. 

Yes I know what technically became of it.

• Reply 39 of 145

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Yes I know what technically became of it.

But you reject that proposal. image

I get, for example, that Adobe doesn't want to "upset the balance" by unifying their UIs and shortcuts, but really? Lasso is Q in one application and L in another? Come on. And I get that one UI doesn't serve everything; Shake's way of doing things is probably different from modern Motion. Apple should respect both when combining them, but users have to meet them halfway.

• Reply 40 of 145

Quote:

But you reject that proposal. image

I get, for example, that Adobe doesn't want to "upset the balance" by unifying their UIs and shortcuts, but really? Lasso is Q in one application and L in another? Come on. And I get that one UI doesn't serve everything; Shake's way of doing things is probably different from modern Motion. Apple should respect both when combining them, but users have to meet them halfway.

That is a valid complaint, and Adobe really does annoy me at times. They're at least predictable, and I dislike some of Apple's competing products. Aperture comes to mind. I have shortcuts memorized for many applications, and they're all different. Q to select is borrowed from the 3d apps published by other companies. If you want weird keymappings, try learning zbrush. Zooming requires you to alt click then release alt while still holding left click. Shake was one of those applications that pioneered node based workflows, which I really like. I'm not that conservative on software or methodologies. You'd probably think that by my posts, but I try out tons of new stuff. I try out new applications whenever I think something might work and favorable trial terms exist. With Apple's software it often seems geared at further marketing hardware sales. They try to make it really accessible and simple for the user, but sometimes I hate the way they accomplish it.