Apple's "smart shoes" notify users when they need replacing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

As I expected, the uninformed Apple haters are out in force.

You can't always tell when a shoe is worn out from simply looking at it. A shoe can lose its support and still look OK from the outside. For most people, that's not an issue, but it could be a serious issue for some people.

That said, I really doubt if it's a big enough market to justify development.

I hope you are being funny. 

They should have pants with sensors that alert you when your pants are too damn short. There are people who genuinly have no idea and wear their pants too short. They look stupid, are never taken seriously by others and in a nutshell - their ignorance could seriously curtail their future prospects. Its a small market, admittedly, but how do you tell a guy he looks like a joke because his pants are too short without hurting the fella?

Seriously. /

• Reply 22 of 71
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    If I read this correctly I would be embarrassed to have my corporate name attached to this nonsense. This may be the beginning of the end as there are no new ideas. Next Apple will develop an ass sensor designed for the analysis of flatulent discharges. On second thought, that may not be such a bad idea.
  • Reply 23 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbtinc View Post

If I read this correctly I would be embarrassed to have my corporate name attached to this nonsense. This may be the beginning of the end as there are no new ideas. Next Apple will develop an ass sensor designed for the analysis of flatulent discharges. On second thought, that may not be such a bad idea.

I think you really don't understand what Apple is doing, they are like IBM, making more and more patents to their portfolio but never creating products from it. They create these patents just in case they need to license these in one point in the future.

• Reply 24 of 71
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I would also like to have accelerometers to give me an idea of the relative impact of some excersises to avoid unnecessary fatigue on the skeleton (e.g., or for the morbidly obese). 

Weighing you seems like an obvious thing your shoes could do (by the amount of compression of the sole). It could bluetooth your weight to your dieting app on your phone.

• Reply 25 of 71
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jragosta wrote: »
    You can't always tell when a shoe is worn out from simply looking at it. A shoe can lose its support and still look OK from the outside. For most people, that's not an issue, but it could be a serious issue for some people.

That certainly is true. I have 'discovered' how great jogging is. But after showing my jogging shoes to a girlfriend who runs a lot I was told to get new ones immediately, simply because they were 6 years old. As I've hardly worn them they looked new, but were actually very bad for my knees because they didn't have any air in them left.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That certainly is true. I have 'discovered' how great jogging is. But after showing my jogging shoes to a girlfriend who runs a lot I was told to get new ones immediately, simply because they were 6 years old. As I've hardly worn them they looked new, but were actually very bad for my knees because they didn't have any air in them left.

There is a movement of sorts called 'barefoot running' that would disagree with your girlfriend. Its an interesting idea though I am sure Nike et all think its rubbish. 

• Reply 27 of 71
    Apple, shoes can be re-soled. Then again, we understand that your philosophy is to create devices that are difficult to service by glueing components together. We'll just throw everything into a landfill and buy more rather than service what we have.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    paxman wrote: »
    There is a movement of sorts called 'barefoot running' that would disagree with your girlfriend. Its an interesting idea though I am sure Nike et all think its rubbish. 

I saw Patrick Makau setting a new PR video 'the other day'. I'd love to be able to that myself! And yeah, lol at Nike, what can they do? Sell a track?

edit: there's a market for everything I guess
  • Reply 29 of 71
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

As I expected, the uninformed Apple haters are out in force.

Are you kidding me?

This is huge.

Most people have one phone. But almost everyone (except for the truly indigent) have multiple pairs of shoes. Heck, at any given time, the number of shoes on a person outnumbers the number of phones by 2 to 1. The potential market is ginormous. Lest we forget, this also smacks of a collaboration with Nike. I expect Apple Inc. to become Apple Shoes Inc. in 5 years.

• Reply 30 of 71
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    This is probably the dumbest Apple patent I've ever seen.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    jragosta wrote: »

If it can also measure exercise etc then you have all the Up/Fuelband junkies.

Tht said Apple won't be the ones doing it. They will license this off to Nike etc with APIs for iPhone apps and such.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    maclancer wrote: »
    I think you really don't understand what Apple is doing, they are like IBM, making more and more patents to their portfolio but never creating products from it. They create these patents just in case they need to license these in one point in the future.

It's not just Apple and IBM. Every company does this. But every company isn't the best hit fodder put there so we don't hear about it ad nauseum, same with lawsuits.
  • Reply 33 of 71

You've overlooked Apple's recent patent for the "ITP"alert system.

They recognized the trauma that results from mid-stool resource depletion:

I.E. you're taking a dump and realize you're lacking sufficient TP.

Apple is looking to embed a bluetooth link to your OS6 devices that will alert you pre-sitdown that you'd better check your supplies.

Incredible and amazing!

• Reply 34 of 71
    Maybe this is part of a elaborate plan to fool Samsung. Apple, as well as all of us with a shred of common sense, know Samsung's business ethics very well. They are hoping that Samsung takes the bait, and in a couple weeks release the Samsung Galaxy Sneakers so we can all have a good laugh at them.
    That is the only explanation I have for this because no way anyone at Apple was that serious about this idea to file for a patent.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    Apple files tons of patents. On many occasions co. will file patents under the name(s) of the inventor(s) or engineer(s). Same here.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

- Some disciplines require a minimal publishing output from its scientists.

- Many companies require a certain amount of training each year.

- Looks like Apple has a minimum patent application rule for all employees...

"Hey Curtis!  Perry!  You guys haven't filed a patent in five years.  Do something quick, or your yearly eval is going to be bad."

Curtis looks over at Perry, who is picking at the faded rubber sole of his tennis shoes, and a light goes on above his head.

"Perry, I know what we're going to do today!"

• Reply 37 of 71
    Here are 9 Apple patent filings just from Jan 17. Take a couple hours and read the abstracts. Quite interesting.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/01/patent-lint-the-other-apple-patents-that-might-interest-you.html#more
  • Reply 38 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Great, more e-waste. I don't see the value outside of prescription shoes.

Runners typically get of shoes after a time regardless if they are worn out or not. The point is it's impossible to tell unless after you attempt to perform in them. Having sensors in your apparel is the next the logical step and shoes, watches, and glasses appear to be the first up on that front.

If you get enough sensors built into shoes, not just one simple accelerometer fob placed in or on one shoe, you then open up an entirely new world of analysis. it could tell your stride, your foot falls, width between each foot, if you have under-, over-, or neutral pronation, and could even figure out other aspects of your results cheaply based on that data. I'm sure you've seen professional athletes in some lab on a treadmill hooked up to sensors with camera on them and guys in white coats monitoring them. This could also the rest of us to get the similar, or even better, info.
  • Reply 39 of 71

Will it have LTE and a replaceable battery? The biggest concern is people wearing them wrong.

• Reply 40 of 71
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Cant you see, your shoe is worn out.  Go buy another pair.