Apple celebrates nearly three decades of Macintosh

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    @ philboogie re: Dvorak: "It has yet to find popular success. There seems to be some mysterious user resistance to this type of machine."

That could be a direct quote from an internal Microsoft memo. On the subject of their entire decade of "moderate" Windows tablet sales. Except, of course, that in Microsoft's case, the quote would be correct. In Dvorak's case, not so much.

Fortunately, I only associate Dvorak with something positive:
  • Reply 22 of 42

A Commodore 64 is the computer that changed my world. But I did like my IIsi when it came along...

• Reply 23 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Three decades of highly configurable and upgradable Macs that Tim Cook completely ruined with this last iMac update¡

OWC have kits to upgrade every Mac out there now, fear not. :)
  • Reply 24 of 42
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    wardc wrote: »
    You mean 29 years...haha...it's twenty-nine years since Jan. '84!

EDIT: I see it's corrected now, it's not 30 years (yet)!!

Yep. I can confirm, since the original Macintosh and I share exactly the same birthday.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    The computer that all micro computers are based off of.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    What are they celebrating? That they trashed a unique computer company turning it into an appliance business investors no longer believe in?
  • Reply 27 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think they changed it to the standard lighter beige color around the SE model. This color reminds me of baby poop.

The SE was "platinum".  A more silver-grey color. 

The original Mac and Mac 512 were the same color as the Apple II cases.  Maybe slightly darker.  The Apple IIc was the first Apple computer in silly white kitchen appliance white plastic.

I will have to see if my original Mac will still boot after 29 years.  It has been a few years since I have taken it out of the official Apple carrying case

And thanks to Steve and the Mac team for leading the way for all those non-believers and copiers that came along behind them.  If Apple had not created the Mac, Dvorak would have never had Windows to write about.

• Reply 28 of 42

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

What are they celebrating? That they trashed a unique computer company turning it into an appliance business investors no longer believe in?

Thanks for destroying any credibility you might have otherwise had.

• Reply 29 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    OWC have kits to upgrade every Mac out there now, fear not. :)

Actually, once I get word that my iMac has shipped I'll be buying 32GB of RAM for it, but from Newegg, not OWC. OWC's iMac RAM has a higher latency than the RAM I'm buying from Newegg.
  • Reply 30 of 42

ok, Apple pull your finger out of your iButt and release a new Mac Pro as an anniversary model. While you're at it, make it AFFORDABLE, or at least bundle it with final cut pro or something useful !

Well overdue....!!

• Reply 31 of 42
    @Peter:

They won't have to make it 'affordable' (whatever that might mean) as everyone has been waiting long enough; they can make it 10k by now. Which is actually a good idea; that way we'd have way less whiners over the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 32 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I think it was initially HP's influence.  They had wonderful desktop calculators and computers.

That's also where Jobs (and everyone else) got the idea for all-in-one boxes, like was used for the Apple II.

Somewhere in 1972, I programmed a civil engineering code on  a HP98xx machine (see below). Wonderful for the time being : niece basic , program stored on small tape cassettes. The machine was far ahead of its time ....

• Reply 33 of 42
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Somewhere in 1972, I programmed a civil engineering code on  a HP98xx machine (see below). Wonderful for the time being : niece basic , program stored on small tape cassettes. The machine was far ahead of its time ....

Neat!   Back then, I bought a used HP 9100 programmable desktop calculator with optional printer:

Magnetic Core memory for 16 storage registers or about 200 program steps.   Magnetic card reader to store the programs on.   CRT output of the registers.

Original cost with options around $5600, or twice the price of a new car at the time.   I still have it stored in the basement somewhere.

Those were the days.  A decade later, we had the HP-41C pocket calculator that just blew it away.  I wasted way too much time playing with that sucker because of its alphanumeric display.

Regards.

• Reply 34 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Neat!   Back then, I bought a used HP 9100 programmable desktop calculator with optional printer:

Magnetic Core memory for 16 storage registers or about 200 program steps.   Magnetic card reader to store the programs on.   CRT output of the registers.

Original cost with options around $5600, or twice the price of a new car at the time.   I still have it stored in the basement somewhere.

Those were the days.  A decade later, we had the HP-41C pocket calculator that just blew it away.  I wasted way too much time playing with that sucker because of its alphanumeric display.

Regards.

Yes ... I do not remember all details, this is too far away ... But managing code without punched cards tray was in itself a revolution ....

• Reply 35 of 42
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    Three decades?  0 is 1 and 1 is 2.  By mac computing standards its 31 years.  LOL.
    Huh? By what computing standards would 0 and 1 be 1 and 2?
  • Reply 36 of 42
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    Three decades?  0 is 1 and 1 is 2.  By mac computing standards its 31 years.  LOL.
    Huh? By what computing standards would 0 and 1 be 1 and 2?

Trolls; they don't compute.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Yes ... I do not remember all details, this is too far away ... But managing code without punched cards tray was in itself a revolution ....

Oh man.  

I spent so much time late at night punching (and repunching) cards, that I actually went to Duke University Surplus one summer, and bargained my way into  getting a beat up old used card punch for about $100 to use at home, instead of having to go into the computing center.  That was a lot of money for a student living on the GI bill, but worth it.

Later, being able to use green screen editors was like heaven in comparison.

• Reply 38 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Actually, once I get word that my iMac has shipped I'll be buying 32GB of RAM for it, but from Newegg, not OWC. OWC's iMac RAM has a higher latency than the RAM I'm buying from Newegg.

Ok good to know. I use both OWC and NewEgg all the time so I use either name generically really.

So you are going iMac this near to a possible new Mac Pro? I'm waiting to see what it might be before going iMac, not that I am not tempted now.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Ok good to know. I use both OWC and NewEgg all the time so I use either name generically really.

So you are going iMac this near to a possible new Mac Pro? I'm waiting to see what it might be before going iMac, not that I am not tempted now.

Already ordered the iMac. I have no interest in a Mac Pro. That extra performance and configurability means little to what I use it for. Coming from 15 years of using notebooks as my primary machine an iMac is huge upgrade in performance.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    nasemnasem Posts: 1member
    I still have the original Mac from Jan 1984 that I got at Drexel. I wonder if it is worth anymore than nostalgia for me?